Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby cluelessmom » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:56 pm

Tks naggo-nitemare, tho' I think I m totally clueless..... for example, when my dd was doin the write-up on family member, I tot it was jus another homework and completely miss the link to the family tree project. She chose my mum as the interviewee and found some old photos of my mum. However, they were found to be insufficient as they needed at least 3 different kind of resource evidence. Aiya, then I realised that it is linked to the SS project and was very upset that I didn't guide my dd thru the project, maybe ask her choose another interviewee as my mom does not even have any birth certificate etc so no resource evidence to support!!! Anyway, bottomline is for GEP students to do well, I think parental involvement is really critical...... :(

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ApronMama » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:42 pm

cluelessmom wrote:Tks naggo-nitemare, tho' I think I m totally clueless..... for example, when my dd was doin the write-up on family member, I tot it was jus another homework and completely miss the link to the family tree project. She chose my mum as the interviewee and found some old photos of my mum. However, they were found to be insufficient as they needed at least 3 different kind of resource evidence. Aiya, then I realised that it is linked to the SS project and was very upset that I didn't guide my dd thru the project, maybe ask her choose another interviewee as my mom does not even have any birth certificate etc so no resource evidence to support!!! Anyway, bottomline is for GEP students to do well, I think parental involvement is really critical...... :(

I have heard of parent quit job because the GEP child need help in his project. Is that true?

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

All About GEP

Postby naggo-nitemare » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:42 pm

Yes. Some hand holding is definitely impt for term 1 n 2. I realised tt the SS family tree project involves a detailed write-up of a family member when during the parent briefing at the start of the sch term, we were shown examples of this project/write-up. My jaws almost dropped when i saw how sophisticated some of the trees were n the documents submitted for the write-ups were quite substantive. The whole aim, i think, is to teach the pupil to collate data, understand what is pri n sec source of info, plan n organise and to prepare n conduct interviews. Tks to the briefing, i could then advise my son NOT to interview his grandma for she too had no birth cert, no education certs nor job experience as she was, like many in her generation, a full time homemaker.

But dont worry, handholding will be required much less when the pupil finds his comfort zone by semester 2. In fact, now my son prefers to do all his reseach n reports w/o my kaypoh-ing. Don't worry. In time, ur kid too will find her/his comfort zone. But it is impt tt as a parent, we continue to be aware of what's going on - project types, project due dates, exam /tests schedules. It is v impt for u to gather a couple of the classmates' parents' contact nos to update one another.

As for the family tree project, it's only part of the whole year's work. There are many other components adding up to the final score. It really isn't difficult to pass SS well.

naggo-nitemare
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby EQmum » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:54 am

Tks naggo-nitemare, tho' I think I m totally clueless..... for example, when my dd was doin the write-up on family member, I tot it was jus another homework and completely miss the link to the family tree project. She chose my mum as the interviewee and found some old photos of my mum. However, they were found to be insufficient as they needed at least 3 different kind of resource evidence. Aiya, then I realised that it is linked to the SS project and was very upset that I didn't guide my dd thru the project, maybe ask her choose another interviewee as my mom does not even have any birth certificate etc so no resource evidence to support!!! Anyway, bottomline is for GEP students to do well, I think parental involvement is really critical......

cluelessmum,

I can understand your frustration coming from. I went through with my son P4 GEP last year, feeling helpless. :cry: The kind of assignment were way beyond me. There was nothing to fall on or any of my friends can advice me.

I'm totally agreed with naggo-nitemare. After the 2nd semester, they have mostly adjusted themselve. Just like what naggo-nitemare had said, my son also prefer to do his own reseach n reports and dun really required handholding. Your dd will be fine and so will you. :celebrate:

EQmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ngbrdad » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:08 pm

Just to check the family tree project is the main project for ss for common test 1 right ?
Cos my son has another project on communications/language which is a joint english/ss project that is due about the same thime as the family tree project.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

All About GEP

Postby naggo-nitemare » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:02 am

the jt english/SS on Family English Usage is marked by both sbjt teachers. I suspect the marks apply to both English n SS scores but i'm not sure abt the apportionment of the marks. All i can remember is tt there was quite a bit of re-drafting.

naggo-nitemare
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: All About GEP

Postby ngbrdad » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:06 am

naggo-nitemare wrote:the jt english/SS on Family English Usage is marked by both sbjt teachers. I suspect the marks apply to both English n SS scores but i'm not sure abt the apportionment of the marks. All i can remember is tt there was quite a bit of re-drafting.

Yeah that's the one.
It's due about the same time as the family tree project.
During briefing at the beginning of the year, the teaches seem to emphasize more on the family tree project.
So is the language usage/communication project important too ?

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

All About GEP

Postby naggo-nitemare » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:09 am

I had the impression tt the family tree n write-up were the more impt projects because i recall rubrics were given for these. But i dont recall any rubrics for the english usage report. So the impression i had was tt the weightage for this report wasnt as heavy.

It's best tt u clarify with the english teacher. It seemed tt in my son's case, a lot of the comments for re-drafts were made by the english teacher for this eng usage report.

naggo-nitemare
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

HELP NEEDED-About GEP Test Paper!!!

Postby sharonsharon » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:15 pm

[Moderator's note: Topics merged.]

Dear mummies & Daddies here:

My son is going to take the GEP test paper. But our family financial situation restrained him from attending any GEP course,which might cost more than $2000.

Anyone could provide one test paper of GEP test? I searched on line, but in vain. I go to those centres, but i was requested to attend the course, really frustrating.

Anyone can provide at least examples of GEP test paper? it is so mysterious, that i could not search anything online. Anyone willing to share the paper among us?

Your kindness will be much appreciated.

sharonsharon
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:32 pm

Perhaps you have missed out alot of discussion on this. Most people will not advocate training for GEP tests. Reason being if they can prepare themselves to get into the program, they may not be prepared to stay on in the program. Most times, getting in is a smaller issue than staying inside the program. So if you are confident about your kid, then don't prepare your kid.

But if you really want to, there are a few schools in SG touting that they trained children for GEP and they charge a premium, hence the $2000 you have been told.

From what I know, there are 3 papers, 1 Math, 1 English and 1 General Abilities and all MCQs format.

Other than that, I would just wish all the children taking GEP tests good luck!

FYI, I know of a fairly large number of children who got into GEP program but in turn prefer to stay in the mainstream education. The trend might be changing.

PreviousNext

Return to GEP