Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Should GEP be for Singaporeans students only?

Postby AppleCrumble » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:05 am

Would like to ask for parents' opinions on an issue related to GEP, a hot topic now since now is the time for GEP screening and selection tests.

As most of you are aware, MOE is implementing steps to give priority to Singaporean citizens (e.g. more balloting chance for P1 school registration, school fees differentiation between SCs and PRs). Am just wondering if this should be extended to the GEP too. This way, more Singaporean kids will benefit from this program.

:?

AppleCrumble
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Should GEP be for Singaporeans students only?

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:20 am

AppleCrumble wrote:Would like to ask for parents' opinions on an issue related to GEP, a hot topic now since now is the time for GEP screening and selection tests.

As most of you are aware, MOE is implementing steps to give priority to Singaporean citizens (e.g. more balloting chance for P1 school registration, school fees differentiation between SCs and PRs). Am just wondering if this should be extended to the GEP too. This way, more Singaporean kids will benefit from this program.

you can't stop the competition

GEP gives opportunity for more study of subject matters at higher / deeper level at faster pace

but the reality check is at PSLE which is a national ranking exam (I refrain from using the word 'placement' as many people don't appreciate the meaning behind it)

non-citizens not having any citizen privileges who are willing to put in the effort will still do well, as shown by the student from Qifa who was initially hindered by language inadequacy but overcame it to become the national top scorer
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Trapwithin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:34 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:The top 5 % of the 1st round GEP test goes into the 2nd round

Out of those in the second round, about 1/5 will make it to be the selected GEP students, hence the GEP cohort is about 1% of the overall cohort

I thought they take in 4000 kids for Round 1 and about 500 for round 2.
Considering a cohort of 40,000 kids each year .. Round 1 is 10% and Round 2 is 1%

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:36 am

Trapwithin wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:The top 5 % of the 1st round GEP test goes into the 2nd round

Out of those in the second round, about 1/5 will make it to be the selected GEP students, hence the GEP cohort is about 1% of the overall cohort

Considering a cohort of 40,000 kids each year .. Round 1 is 10% and Round 2 is 1%

may be you are right, 10% of round 1 ... but there is something about the the 5%
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Trapwithin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:41 am

wwcookie wrote:Sorry, just sidetrack a bit..

I do know of some Mensan children who were not selected for the program. Why?? If they are Mensa members, they must be intellectually 'gifted', no? Isn't the GEP program catered for such children?

I feel the GEP selection process has some major flaws:

1. Everything hinges on the child's performance on the screening and selection test days.

2. Some intellectually 'gifted' children would have started underachieving by the time they sit for the test in P3, as they would have been subjected to 3 years of unchallenging lessons, esp so if they are not in the 'best' classes. Hence, they will not do well in the tests when MOE comes around to identify them.

3. By making the tests known, some kiasu parents will be tempted to prepare their children for the tests, and some of these children might actually get in, and suffer. And deprive some other children whom the program is really catered for, a place in the program.

The Singapore GEP has always claim that the selection is not an IQ Test.
So they will not sleect based on IQ.

The purpose of GEP is to train future leaders for Singapore .. I think
So the ability to understand and solve problem is pretty important.

That's why Social Studies is 5th subject in GEP and they will have to pass it.

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Trapwithin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:43 am

AppleCrumble wrote:Would like to ask for parents' opinions on an issue related to GEP, a hot topic now since now is the time for GEP screening and selection tests.

Correct me if I am wrong.
But I do not think non Singaproean/PR can join this program.

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sakura_2009 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:57 am

Trapwithin wrote:

Not sure about foreigners, but PRs are also entitled to join this program.

sakura_2009
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:00 am

Trapwithin wrote:

Hhmm... there are quite a few GEP kids who were from China or whose parents were from China, Philippines etc. Not sure if they are already PRs or citizens though.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sakura_2009 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:09 am

jtoh wrote:
Trapwithin wrote:

Hhmm... there are quite a few GEP kids who were from China or whose parents were from China, Philippines etc. Not sure if they are already PRs or citizens though.

I have a few China colleagues (PRs) whose P3 kids (also PRs) are qualfied for the 2nd round. Same for DS's classmates, mostly from China but are PRs. So that means they will also be entitled to take the GEP program if they managed to pass the 2nd round, right?

sakura_2009
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lwm99 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:13 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:
Trapwithin wrote:

may be you are right, 10% of round 1 ... but there is something about the the 5%

I think Trapwithin is right. The numbers are from MOE. Verykiasu, where do you get your info from when you posted?

lwm99
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres