55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby jtoh » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:20 am

lwm99 wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:
Trapwithin wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:The top 5 % of the 1st round GEP test goes into the 2nd round

Out of those in the second round, about 1/5 will make it to be the selected GEP students, hence the GEP cohort is about 1% of the overall cohort

I thought they take in 4000 kids for Round 1 and about 500 for round 2.
Considering a cohort of 40,000 kids each year .. Round 1 is 10% and Round 2 is 1%

may be you are right, 10% of round 1 ... but there is something about the the 5%

I think Trapwithin is right. The numbers are from MOE. Verykiasu, where do you get your info from when you posted?

The numbers were revised recently. Prior to 2008, the number making it to Round 2 was 3,000. Which makes it about 7%, depending on the size of the cohort that year. Of that, about 500 make it through to GEP.

In the last couple of years they've increased the number making it to the second round to about 4000.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sakura_2009 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:31 am

jtoh wrote:The numbers were revised recently. Prior to 2008, the number making it to Round 2 was 3,000. Which makes it about 7%, depending on the size of the cohort that year. Of that, about 500 make it through to GEP.

In the last couple of years they've increased the number making it to the second round to about 4000.

Just wondering why the numbers are increasing? Afterall only around 500 students will eventually make it for the GEP program right?

Am also wondering why the need for the screening test in the first place? Why not make the students take the 2nd test directly and eliminate the hassle of the screening test? Just my own thoughts coz it seems that every P3 kid I know seems to be qualified for the 2nd round :?

sakura_2009
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby PowerPuff Mum » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:35 am

Worrying to think that with so much investment put into the GEP will end up with us nurturing people from other countries who may not even stay and contribute to this country...and of cos take the oportunity from a more deserving Singaporean even if less gifted.

PowerPuff Mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kiasuson » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:03 pm

PowerPuff Mum wrote:Worrying to think that with so much investment put into the GEP will end up with us nurturing people from other countries who may not even stay and contribute to this country...and of cos take the oportunity from a more deserving Singaporean even if less gifted.

Agreed. There are already a few from my neighbours. They are GEP students but refused to serve the NS to become Singapore Citizen. They want to have a choice of returning to their homeland. Why the government is wasting the Taxes payer money with this groups of GEP students?

Also bear in mind that most of the foreign students are normally older than their peer. Is it fair to compare them with younger students for GEP selection? Sad to said that after 25 years or more experience with the GEP programes, MOE still have so much loop holes.

kiasuson
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Trapwithin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:28 pm

sakura_2009 wrote:
jtoh wrote:The numbers were revised recently. Prior to 2008, the number making it to Round 2 was 3,000. Which makes it about 7%, depending on the size of the cohort that year. Of that, about 500 make it through to GEP.

Just wondering why the numbers are increasing? Afterall only around 500 students will eventually make it for the GEP program right?

Am also wondering why the need for the screening test in the first place? Why not make the students take the 2nd test directly and eliminate the hassle of the screening test? Just my own thoughts coz it seems that every P3 kid I know seems to be qualified for the 2nd round :?

Do not know how true.
Apparently, MOE keep tab on those that qualified for 2nd round.
In GEP School, these group will be use to do "twinning" program with the GEP students.

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasuson » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Trapwithin wrote:
sakura_2009 wrote:

Do not know how true.
In GEP School, these group will be use to do "twinning" program with the GEP students.

What happen to those that are not in the GEP schools? I believe it is the GEP school who give priority to their students that have qualified for second round.

kiasuson
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Trapwithin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:59 pm

kiasuson wrote:
Trapwithin wrote:
sakura_2009 wrote:

Do not know how true.

What happen to those that are not in the GEP schools? I believe it is the GEP school who give priority to their students that have qualified for second round.

Not too sure again ...
Apparently, they will be place in the top few classes of their current school

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

GEP

Postby Powermum » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:05 pm

Just to clarify some issues:-

My DD is currently in GEP programme..

1) Not sure if 'giftedness' can be trained. My DD's primary 3 class (supposedly good class) had almost all children sent for 'GEP' training (my DD did not cos I have no $ and dont see the need to) but in the end only 6/42 made it.

2) First round think 8-10% of cohort, 2nd round - 1% 500+ children. More than half boys for specific reasons.

3) No comments for round 1 from her cos I didnt know when it was.. Round 2 went like this ' English very difficult (common feedback among peers who sat for it) Mathematics very easy (uncommon feedback from peers) GA very easy (uncommon feedback from peers)..

4) My DD love shapes, sudoku (difficulty level 5), chess and anything maths (you may think it's crazy, now she actually loves olympiad math- To be fair, I am nuts at math, i cant even handle P3 math)

Let's the children enjoy what they do.... shower them with love and concern :love:

Powermum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sakura_2009 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:06 pm

Trapwithin wrote:
Not too sure again ...
Apparently, they will be place in the top few classes of their current school

As far as I'm aware, for students who qualify for the 2nd round, most of them would have already been in the top classes in their respective schools, isn't it?

sakura_2009
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: GEP

Postby TwaTau » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:21 pm

Powermum wrote:Just to clarify some issues:-

My DD is currently in GEP programme..

1) Not sure if 'giftedness' can be trained. My DD's primary 3 class (supposedly good class) had almost all children sent for 'GEP' training (my DD did not cos I have no $ and dont see the need to) but in the end only 6/42 made it.

2) First round think 8-10% of cohort, 2nd round - 1% 500+ children. More than half boys for specific reasons.

3) No comments for round 1 from her cos I didnt know when it was.. Round 2 went like this ' English very difficult (common feedback among peers who sat for it) Mathematics very easy (uncommon feedback from peers) GA very easy (uncommon feedback from peers)..

4) My DD love shapes, sudoku (difficulty level 5), chess and anything maths (you may think it's crazy, now she actually loves olympiad math- To be fair, I am nuts at math, i cant even handle P3 math)

Let's the children enjoy what they do.... shower them with love and concern :love:

:goodpost: Gifted are born, can means can! You maybe able to squeeze your kids into the programme now, but you will need to maintain them there with more training and more tuitions, and less time for the kids to develop themselves in other aspect. :celebrate:

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP