Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby TwaTau » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:56 pm

INNOVATE wrote:As children who are really gifted is definately much less than 500 for each cohort, so there is no need for the gifted programme to continue now that the IP is much in place. MOE could have use its resources to for other areas.

As for the validity of arguments by some in support of this programme, higher order thinking skills, maths and science olympias, A* attachment, languistic and humanities scholastic programme are all provided in high schools to cater to gifted kids.

Just take a look at President and SAF Overseas Merit Scolarships winners over the recent years and one will observe that kids from the gifted programme are not as dorminant as it used to be in the past. Surely these winners are the mose all rounded students that have emerged from pur education system rather than the GEP.

Just wondering whether you have mixed up the GEP discussed here and the IP programme. Most of the discussion here are for GEP for P4 to P6, so we are talking about the programme MOE has in place to identify gifted children from young. In this thread, we have discuss at length whether the screen method may or may not be the right. IP is for the secondary education to pre-u. So what is the link between this distinctly different programme? Within the IP programme in secondary school, there is still remainly a programme specifically cater for the gifted in 7 schools, which offer School-Based Gifted Education (SBGE) to cater to the intellectually gifted. How were you able to distinct those kids from the gifted and non-gifted programme in the IP?

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby INNOVATE » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:20 pm

Twa Tau

I wrote in on concern that parents send their kids for training with the objective of gaining admission to GEP. That's totally undesirable as gifted is innate and cannot be trained.

The other area is that many supporters of GEP thought that the programme provides rare opportunities to their kids otherwise not available to mainstreamers. That's correct but I feel that it is irrevelant in today's context given our IP which is well placed to cater to gifted and high ability students. My concern is why spend so much resources on this programme for only 3 yrs, the inordinate amount of which can be utilised on other areas. Mover, the no of top scholarship holders in recent years from the GEP was not overwhelming.

The point in this debate is the GEP which was beneficial in the past to provide special educational needs is no longer that valid given my reasons outlined above. On this occassion, there is therefore no need to specially segregate gifted from the very high ability pupils. My reply to your question is self-explanatory.

In conclusion, parents do not need to fret over the selection tests. Just leave it naturally to the kids to figure out whether they are really gifted.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:48 pm

INNOVATE wrote: In conclusion, parents do not need to fret over the selection tests. Just leave it naturally to the kids to figure out whether they are really gifted.

unfortunately, it gives the parents the bragging rights if their kids are selected for the programme. on top of that, they also gets the chance to transfer to a 'brandier' school, which will in turn opens the doors for the younger siblings. 8)

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:50 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
INNOVATE wrote: In conclusion, parents do not need to fret over the selection tests. Just leave it naturally to the kids to figure out whether they are really gifted.

unfortunately, it gives the parents the bragging rights if their kids are selected for the programme. on top of that, they also gets the chance to transfer to a 'brandier' school, which will in turn opens the doors for the younger siblings. 8)

I'm wondering how many parents are busy enquiring at those so-called GEP training centres now. :lol: :lol: :lol: Easy money.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BigDad » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Nebbermind wrote:

If we train them so hard and they get in and then later they can't cope because in the first place they are not smart enough, it will also 'kill' them. Better to let get in without training. I heard of some parents who even buy 'past year' papers for GEP to prepare their kids.

BigDad
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby INNOVATE » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:56 pm

Nebbermind

Share the same sentiment as yours.

To me, kids should spend their elementery school with the minimum stress. Progress in education should be based on running a marathon not a sprinting event. The parents with the last laughs may be the ones without kids in GEP.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cluelessmama » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:58 pm

INNOVATE wrote:Twa Tau

I wrote in on concern that parents send their kids for training with the objective of gaining admission to GEP. That's totally undesirable as gifted is innate and cannot be trained.

The other area is that many supporters of GEP thought that the programme provides rare opportunities to their kids otherwise not available to mainstreamers. That's correct but I feel that it is irrevelant in today's context given our IP which is well placed to cater to gifted and high ability students. My concern is why spend so much resources on this programme for only 3 yrs, the inordinate amount of which can be utilised on other areas. Mover, the no of top scholarship holders in recent years from the GEP was not overwhelming.

The point in this debate is the GEP which was beneficial in the past to provide special educational needs is no longer that valid given my reasons outlined above. On this occassion, there is therefore no need to specially segregate gifted from the very high ability pupils. My reply to your question is self-explanatory.

In conclusion, parents do not need to fret over the selection tests. Just leave it naturally to the kids to figure out whether they are really gifted.

Hi INNOVATE,

I just wondering if you have children who are in the GEP for you to come to the conclusion that it is "irrevelant in today's context because IP"? IP is only offered from secondary level onwards, I fail to see in what ways will IP render GEP irrelevant. In fact, I should say that th GEP provides the child with a strong foundation (skills for research, presentation, etc) for IP.

If I do not understand you wrongly, you are saying that too much resources are spent on this group of children who eventually may not end upon winning scholarships. Going by this argument, does it mean that as long as a child is not of "scholarship material", he/she should be denied of any opportunity for special training,etc?

BTW, my child is in the GEP and she is enjoying every moment of it. Prior to this, shewas bored to death in class and had been day dreaming all the while even though her results did not suffer. Now, being challenged academically and intellectually most of the time, she is not bored any and has no time day dream in class.

There could be some parents who "fret over the selection tests" or who have spent tonnes of money on special training - this is just an overstatement. I do know of many friends who are not bothered about the selection tests. For me and kid (and I'm sure for many as well), there are no special training and no fretting about selection tests. The only time we have fretted was to select GEP or not to. But after discussing my child's needs and interests, we concluded that GEP is suitable for her.

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby INNOVATE » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:06 pm

In recent years, students with PSLE T-score of only 250-269 were crowned as President Scholars and SAF Overseas Merit Scholars. They were not chosen for the GEP.

How on earth they managed to pawn many GEP students? An obvious answer must be their enlighted parents who doubled as motivators, councellors and above all, they always seek favors from above.

Wise parents do the above and not spend a small fortune on programmes to train their kids to be gifted. Gifted is a gift from GOD not thru any training programme.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby little_twin_stars » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:17 pm

jtoh wrote:
I'm wondering how many parents are busy enquiring at those so-called GEP training centres now. :lol: :lol: :lol: Easy money.

I, for one, will not be those that let them earn my money. If my dd makes it, I congragulate her on her efforts and also thank the Lord for his blessings and guidance.

If she cannot pass the next round, we are still happy and still congragulate her for coming so far. Cos, she suffers from attention deficit and requires us to constantly watch over her and guide her to be on task.

And also... she push away the misconception that children who suffers from AD or ADHD do not do well in academic... it depends a lot on the intervention methods.

little_twin_stars
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby fanren » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:19 pm

INNOVATE wrote:In recent years, students with PSLE T-score of only 250-269 were crowned as President Scholars and SAF Overseas Merit Scholars. They were not chosen for the GEP.

How on earth they managed to pawn many GEP students? An obvious answer must be their enlighted parents who doubled as motivators, councellors and above all, they always seek favors from above.

Wise parents do the above and not spend a small fortune on programmes to train their kids to be gifted. Gifted is a gift from GOD not thru any training programme.

not sure why i feel a strong sense of unhappiness in you over GEP ? :?

fanren
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP