35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby vlim » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:04 pm

naggo-nitemare wrote:
INNOVATE wrote:In recent years, students with PSLE T-score of only 250-269 were crowned as President Scholars and SAF Overseas Merit Scholars. They were not chosen for the GEP.

Pls understand tt the President scholarship and the SAF overseas merit scholarship may not be a goal for many intellectually gifted people. These scholarships appeal to those who want to serve in govt. Many gifted scholars prefer a narrow path of research or a career in academia or a scholarship tt does not require a service bond so tt they can do further studies w/o having to seek the approval of the respective govt organisations. There are countless scholarships out there, offered by not only the s'pore govt, but also by big corps, esteemed universities, foundations...If a gifted individual has no interest in serving in govt, it is not right to apply for it just so tt people like urself can say tt 'oh, money is not wasted after all in the P4-P6 GEP'.

A close friend of mine who teaches in a top IP sch was informed by her principal tt through these yrs of GEP, the statistics hv shown tt GEP pupils perform v well in general at the 'a' levels.

My DS hv benefited alot in the past 3 yrs in this prog. It stretches his mind, he learns to qn psle std answers, he develops his own writing style but he switches to psle compo modes when required. it will be simply cruel to let gifted children remain being bored in the upper pri yrs when they hv had 3 torturous yrs in lower primary. so pl dont begrudge the amt spent on these group of kids. And stop mixing up the issue of IP n GEP for upper pri level.

I was talking to my p5 boy just now ..something about 'getting the desire results'... he replied me: ' Result is not the most important thing. The most important thing is the 'process'.....' and I was :| :| :|

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TwaTau » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:31 am

vlim wrote:I was talking to my p5 boy just now ..something about 'getting the desire results'... he replied me: ' Result is not the most important thing. The most important thing is the 'process'.....' and I was :| :| :|

Sometimes we adults are so engrossed in the final result that we lost track of the importance of the process leading to the results. Well say! :celebrate:

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:11 am

INNOVATE wrote:Nebbermind

Share the same sentiment as yours.

To me, kids should spend their elementery school with the minimum stress. Progress in education should be based on running a marathon not a sprinting event. The parents with the last laughs may be the ones without kids in GEP.

I'm not sure what they do in those GEP preparatory schools but I believe that they, like any other premium enrichment schools, will do the screening before admitting anyone into their courses. So perhaps it's safe to say that those who are in it is among the top 20% of the cohort?

That being said, if they are trainable to understand higher level concepts, it only goes to show that they NO STUPID. So it's still quite fair if they eventually qualify for GEP.

Another possibility is that the kid is already topping the school (neighbourhood or otherwise) every yr and the parents are not leaving it to chance. I have personally know someone whose kid was academic award winner every year but did not even make it pass Rd 1. A big blow to the kid and also invited alot of bitching by both parents and fellow students behind the kid's back. very sad situation.

I used to be against such training but now more opened. For me, it you are trainable, then WHY NOT?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:57 am

INNOVATE wrote:Nebbermind

Share the same sentiment as yours.

To me, kids should spend their elementery school with the minimum stress. Progress in education should be based on running a marathon not a sprinting event. The parents with the last laughs may be the ones without kids in GEP.

Hi Innovate,

The GEP syllabus actually is more of a marathon than a sprint. The end goal is not PSLE. The kids are exposed to different pedagogy designed for their ability which equips them with skills for independent and lifelong learning and higher level thinking. GEP is not, as sometimes erroneously believed, about accelerated learning. It's more than that. Parents with kids in GEP will understand what I'm trying to say.

Like you, I believe that kids should spend their early school years in an environment with minimum stress. And given that different children have different abilities and stress levels, then so should they be exposed as such to allow them to reach their potential at their own pace. Some children blossom in their later teen years and go on to achieve excellent results in the university etc even though they displayed only average results in PSLE. Some show their potential from the get go. Different syllabus for different abilities.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that parents should not train their kids for the GEP selections tests because GEP isn't meant for the trainable. An above-average student can stay in mainstream and do extremely well there, topping the cohort all through P4-6, have a major boost in his confidence and still do very well. There's no need to force your child into GEP and have him suffer for 3 years and lose his confidence while struggling through the syllabus.

There are no parents with last laughs here. If your child is placed in the right learning environment for his ability and potential, both parent and child will be laughing. Different strokes for different folks.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby keroppi » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:23 am

jtoh wrote:I'm wondering how many parents are busy enquiring at those so-called GEP training centres now. :lol: :lol: :lol: Easy money.

You will be surprised that there are indeed many. My DS, while waiting for me to pick him up from school, was helping a P3 boy in his GE selection round 2 test papers from learning lab.

If kids have to undergo such rigorous training for GE selection test, I can't imagine how he is going to survive his next 3 years if he gets in. I have often wondered why some kids in DS' P5 GE class can do so badly <fail> for maths CT and investigative maths (and these same ones are still having on-going lessons at LL!!) - this probably explains it.

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:27 am

keroppi wrote:
jtoh wrote:I'm wondering how many parents are busy enquiring at those so-called GEP training centres now. :lol: :lol: :lol: Easy money.

You will be surprised that there are indeed many. My DS, while waiting for me to pick him up from school, was helping a P3 boy in his GE selection round 2 test papers from learning lab.

If kids have to undergo such rigorous training for GE selection test, I can't imagine how he is going to survive his next 3 years if he gets in. I have often wondered why some kids in DS' P5 GE class can do so badly <fail> for maths CT and investigative maths (and these same ones are still having on-going lessons at LL!!) - this probably explains it.

Yes it probably does. How can one fail investigative math?! My dd and her classmates always viewed it as marks on a platter. No one ever studied for investigative maths, and most of them would score full marks or near full marks.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby AppleCrumble » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:37 am

jtoh wrote:I agree with you wholeheartedly that parents should not train their kids for the GEP selections tests because GEP isn't meant for the trainable. An above-average student can stay in mainstream and do extremely well there, topping the cohort all through P4-6, have a major boost in his confidence and still do very well. There's no need to force your child into GEP and have him suffer for 3 years and lose his confidence while struggling through the syllabus.

There are no parents with last laughs here. If your child is placed in the right learning environment for his ability and potential, both parent and child will be laughing. Different strokes for different folks.

:goodpost:

Agree with jtoh. GEP does have its merits, especially for those young kids who thrive on a more rigorous curriculum.

Parents with P3 kids going for Round 2 Selection Test, please do NOT train your P3 child for it, if you would like to see a happy child for the next 3 years. It's the last 3 years of their precious childhood before they become teenagers.

:lol:

AppleCrumble
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby toddles » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:58 am

for what it's worth from the viewpoint of a 过来人, the GEP is not a measure of how smart or successful a kid is... there are just some aspects of GE kids that make them GE kids.

if people think getting into GEP means getting a guaranteed ticket to success in life (defined as top universities, high paying jobs) then do think again. there are many from non GEP who do better, and get paid better.

there are many in GEP who live very alternative lives. i think the main difference in GEP cohorts (in the past at least) are the colourful (read: weird/quirky/fun) personalities contained within - some excel academically, some don't.

so parents who hothouse their kids hoping to make it past the selection tests so that they embark on a 'successful' path might live to rue the irony.

what really annoys me is all sorts of people trying to profit from the GEP label, from training centres to 'alumni' hawking for tuition students.

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TREX8 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:12 am

jtoh wrote:
keroppi wrote:

Yes it probably does. How can one fail investigative math?! My dd and her classmates always viewed it as marks on a platter. No one ever studied for investigative maths, and most of them would score full marks or near full marks.

Ha ha, I like the part about how can do badly for maths CT and investigative maths :D My DD is exactly one of those kids :cry:

My DD's in P5 GEP, got in without training (thought to qualify since there is an ongoing debate about 'to train or not to train'). She is very strong in English language and strong in mainstream math, but with no flair in problem solving/math olympiad type.

Two years after being in the programme. DD is still struggling with math DESPITE having tution (yes, tution NOT enrichment) in the subject. She was rock bottom at P4 (as we didnt send her for any tution), and she is closer to average (though still below) after having tution at P5. It is disheartening for her as most of her classmates (like jtoh's and keroppi's) find GEP math such a no-brainer.

So we need to do alot of prep talks with her (lucky she has strong in English and Social Studies and so self-esteem is not rock bottom) and as parents, we celebrate any improvement on her part.

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:23 am

TREX8 wrote:
jtoh wrote:
keroppi wrote:

Ha ha, I like the part about how can do badly for maths CT and investigative maths :D My DD is exactly one of those kids :cry:

My DD's in P5 GEP, got in without training (thought to qualify since there is an ongoing debate about 'to train or not to train'). She is very strong in English language and strong in mainstream math, but with no flair in problem solving/math olympiad type.

Two years after being in the programme. DD is still struggling with math DESPITE having tution (yes, tution NOT enrichment) in the subject. She was rock bottom at P4 (as we didnt send her for any tution), and she is closer to average (though still below) after having tution at P5. It is disheartening for her as most of her classmates (like jtoh's and keroppi's) find GEP math such a no-brainer.

So we need to do alot of prep talks with her (lucky she has strong in English and Social Studies and so self-esteem is not rock bottom) and as parents, we celebrate any improvement on her part.

Oop! Sorry for the insensitivity on my part. Glad that your daughter has such supportive parents.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge