35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby metz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:26 pm

Hi sunflowermom,

Take heart, your son is not the only one in such a situation. My friend's kid is also on the same boat. He is an avid reader and strongly interested in Science. Whereas, another friend's kid who has various academic "enrichments" since young is doing well. But I believe the one who is finding the programme challenging (without academic enrichments) is the more gifted one. The GEP programme is intended to challenge and stretch the kids. At the end of the day, a Gepper will stand to benefit most from the self discovery learning process. So, do encourage your son to see things in a more positive light. Aside from that, you can perhaps invest in books or encourage him to check out books in NLB. That will help him gain more understanding on the topics the programme is covering.

Btw, I'm really constantly puzzled by the number of GEP students attending external academic enrichments. Is that a sign that the GEP programme is not challenging enough? Or that these students can't rise up to the challenge? :?
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngbrdad » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:55 pm

sunflowermom wrote:My DS is in P5 GEP this year...

My DS who is also in P5 GEP now probably shares the same situation as your son.
He also got into GEP unexpectantly.
The first year was tough but this year is not too bad.
He only takes Chinese tution as there is just simply no time for him to take other enrichment / tution after all the school work/projects/ECA/school enrichment etc.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:47 am

For the GEP students who are taking tuition, they do it not to enrich the GEP syllabus, but to help them cope with the GEP syllabus. I remember the GEP HOD telling the parents again and again, do not send your children for tuition. There is no need to. So long as they pay attention in class and seek clarification from their teachers if they don't understand. And I agree. Unless you're very weak in the subject, there is no need for tuition. Unfortunately some of the students and their parents are so kiasu, they insist on going for tuition despite their children already doing alright in the subject.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:15 am

Chamonix :

Hi there ! this is :offtopic: but I wish to ask what is the weather there like now ? How is it in Dec ? Many thanks !!
Last edited by verykiasu2010 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MotherHen » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:20 am

naggo-nitemare wrote:U don't seem to get the pt...

I can't agree with you more. I did not let my DD go into GEP because of any perceived advantage, or with the thought of winning any scholarships.

To be honest, when my DD was selected (w/out any training), my first instinct was to reject the offer. True, I was proud and happy that she made it, but I have also heard so many "horror" stories about the program, and how GEP kids do NOT actually do well in PSLE, that I did not want her to go. Afterall, she was already one of the top girls in a top school, so no point right?

My whole family was dead set against DD joining GEP. To be fair to DD and not to diminish her enthusiasm, I suppressed my opinions. I decided to let her make her own decisions. After all the talks etc, and two full days of agonizing, DD made the decision to join the program as she wanted the challenge. She herself made the decision, right down to the choice of school.

I have to say that we have not regretted the decision. True, there is less hand-holding / spoon feeding in GEP and in this respect, it is tougher. But in this one year, I have also seen my DD mature and blossom into an independent learner.

I have so far resisted any form of enrichment/tuition. In fact, DD dropped all tuition (except Chinese once a week) a few months into GEP, and took up piano instead. As a parent, I do feel insecure, especially when it seems that her whole class is attending TLL. I stress endlessly =), especially in the beginning of this year. But I've also come to realize that we have to let go at some point in time. Most of all, we have to let go of the mentality that education is only about winning scholarships.

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:24 am

It seems many GEP kids also attend TLL based on anecdotes from this thread

I think it is over-rated, though useful for some kids as a form of reinforcement of things learnt in school

Sorry for the interruption. ( :offtopic:)
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TwaTau » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:29 am

MotherHen wrote:I have so far resisted any form of enrichment/tuition. In fact, DD dropped all tuition (except Chinese once a week) a few months into GEP, and took up piano instead. As a parent, I do feel insecure, especially when it seems that her whole class is attending TLL. I stress endlessly =), especially in the beginning of this year. But I've also come to realize that we have to let go at some point in time. Most of all, we have to let go of the mentality that education is only about winning scholarships.

:celebrate: I also have similar insecurity whether not letting my DS attend any tuition will be a disadvantage, but he has done well for 2 years in GEP and at the same time, have a enjoyable life as a kid. We just take the GE programme as a enrichment/tuition class and maybe all of us will be feel better, :wink: And the rest of the spare time, just let them be themselves, as children.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby TwaTau » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:31 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:Hi there ! this is :offtopic: but I wish to ask what is the weather there like now ? How is it in Dec ? Many thanks !!

It is still drizzling, if you are asking for the weather in Singapore. December you will have to ask the weather man! :?

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby fromnuaa » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:53 am

my daughter never attend any tuition class before and after she join GEP class...she is p6 gep now..

i am so happy because i saved much money....:)

fromnuaa
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Rosie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:58 am

jtoh wrote:For the GEP students who are taking tuition, they do it not to enrich the GEP syllabus, but to help them cope with the GEP syllabus. I remember the GEP HOD telling the parents again and again, do not send your children for tuition. There is no need to. So long as they pay attention in class and seek clarification from their teachers if they don't understand. And I agree. Unless you're very weak in the subject, there is no need for tuition. Unfortunately some of the students and their parents are so kiasu, they insist on going for tuition despite their children already doing alright in the subject.

That is provided both school and teachers do their part. A friend's daughter had no choice but send her DD for math tuition cos her DD's class had 3 different teachers for 3 terms...one of them is a non-gep trained retired teacher. How to cope and learn effectively like this?

Rosie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres