35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby fruitplus » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:48 pm

Hi smurfette3,

I was also in your position 3 years ago. My son is in GEP P6 now.

My son was from a neighbourhood school, 15th position in top class. Only 3 students from his school selected (Position 1 and 3 and 15) for GEP that year, all from his class. DS is easygoing, friendly, the happy go lucky type. He doesn't look like those exceptionally bright students (you know, the smart look), he looks like every average boy, though he likes all them mind games (eg. Rush hours) and Lego.

Hubby and I were very surprised that our son got selected. Hubby joked that, "Did they send the letter to the wrong address?"

I talked to a few persons before making the decision to let DS try for GEP. I think we made the right decision. Beside considering we shouldn't let the chance go and regret, I was thinking about the advantages of the EESIS scholarship for GEP students (I didn't know about DSA advantages then).

DS is still very playful, and not very matured. It was worst 3 years ago.

First half year was very tough for him in terms of Social studies (SS) and Higher Chinese (he took Normal Chinese from P1 to P3). He totally enjoy Science and Maths. Expectation of English teacher was very high, too. But he manage to struggles through.

I have a daughter 3 years older than DS, so I just happened to flip through her history text book and found that the topics were similar to Sec 1 history. So I bought a Sec 1 History assessment book - History Study Guide by CASCO -- from Popular book store. His results for SS was 60+ in P4. By P5, he has improved to 80+ (SS portfolios played a big part, too -see below).

The SS portfolios (I think they contribute to 30% or 40% of the overall results, I can't remember the exact figures) were very tough for him in P4 as he wasn't matured enough to tackle the issues, I pushed him very very hard (I scolded him badly, as a result, he cried a few times because he didn't even want to start doing) as he didn't even want to start researching for his portfolios. By P5, I only helped him in vetting thru his grammar and some work in his artefacts. By P6, I only helped him in his artefacts.

I also put him in Eduplus Higher Chinese tuition classes (1 for oral, 1 for composition) from 2nd term of P4, his chinese improved slowly.

I asked him a few weeks ago, whether he like his previous school work (P3) or the GEP school work. He said the GEP school work are more interesting. They even get to discuss wether the laser sword in Star Wars really will work in real life, and many many interesting topics.

If your child is creative, inquistive, and given the chance to join GEP class, you should really let him/her try it out. Almost all kids that are not trained for the GEP selection test will do well in GEP class. It will broaden their mind (especially SS) and experiences.

Besides, for DSA in IP schools, GEP students have better chances. For RI, HCI, as long as the overall average for all the subjects is 80% or above, they don't need to sit for the General Ability Test; for DHS, it is 75%.
Last edited by fruitplus on Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fruitplus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sakura_2009 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:50 pm

smurfette3 wrote:Hi,

I was just wondering are there any parents out there who have children in GEP but feel the mainstream is better? My friend's kid was very stressed when she went into GEP. So am not sure if I should let my son go. He himself does not want to but I think its more because his friends are not going. I know everyone is more or less for GEP but I really would like to know more. My son is the happy go lucky type and he likes lots of outdoor sports and is quite involved in them. Would being in GEP take away a lot of that time? Any comments? Am quite troubled, not sure what to do. (not tt he has gotten in, he is going for round 2 but very resistent to do so)

I'll be more than happy if DS says he doesn't want to go for the 2nd round BUT he is telling me he wants to go because close to half of his class are going :P Definitely not the right attitude and I have given him a piece of my mind :x

sakura_2009
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Neko » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:37 pm

smurfette3 wrote:Hi,

I was just wondering are there any parents out there who have children in GEP but feel the mainstream is better? My friend's kid was very stressed when she went into GEP. So am not sure if I should let my son go.

Hi. When dd was offered GEP, I was not for joining. My (weird ? lazy?) thinking was if she stays in mainstream she'd probably be able to breeze through & hv a stressless childhood (except for chinese, she does not attend any enrichment -- really lots of time to play). But dd decided to join GEP after some careful deliberation.

What surprises me is how relaxed dd is this yr. She is aware that she is not likely to top the std like last time and is perfectly fine with it. Though her math is no where near the stds of her mostly math-geniuses classmates, she is not perturbed cos she was told by teachers that 'they are good at different things, there is no need to compare.' With a relatively smaller class of 26, the teachers are able to spot and nurture talents accordingly (e.g. story writiing competition for those with a flair for writing). She has learnt to be an independent learner and is very happy this year. I am glad I supported her decision. As her teacher puts it : 'she's finally come home'.

Find out as much as possible about GEP, present the facts to your son and let him make an informed decision. If a child gets selected without 'training', GEP would be an enriching experience.

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Neko » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:19 pm

May I know what is P5 GEP like ? More projects? Heavier workload ? :thankyou:

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:23 pm

chamonix wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:Chamonix :

Hi there ! this is :offtopic: but I wish to ask what is the weather there like now ? How is it in Dec ? Many thanks !!

:offtopic:

Hi verykiasu2010,

Your family must be looking forward to the trip! Hope you have gotten good accommodation deals for your stay. :)

At the moment, it's brbrbr..... freezing over here in the mornings. But afternoons are generally fine. We are expecting temperature to dip below 10 degrees next week. For Dec, we can only hope that the coldness won't be as harsh as last year.

thanks !!! as long as is above zero, it is tolerable. will be having more time in Nice & Florence, using Chamonix as a two day stop-over
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:27 pm

Neko wrote:May I know what is P5 GEP like ? More projects? Heavier workload ? :thankyou:

your sleepy cat (avatar) is cute !
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Neko » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:32 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:
Neko wrote:May I know what is P5 GEP like ? More projects? Heavier workload ? :thankyou:

your sleepy cat (avatar) is cute !

Hee hee, thank you. It's like me : sleepy all the time :P

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby TwaTau » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:40 pm

This is mainly from my observation of DS the past year. Project wise, at the end of last year, they were asked to choose between IvP and FPS. Workload was heavy for first half of the year and either they have become more efficient with their work or the programme taper them down, it seems to become lighter now. They attended quite abit of competitions throughout the year.
Only thing DS ask me occasionally was Maths, and it is still just as difficult compare to P4. The rest he seems to be able to sort out himself.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby smurfette3 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:16 pm

walterp wrote:
smurfette3 wrote:
I read many interesting concerns on the GEP ... Let me share some of my thoughts on these ... Why force your kids to a GEP if she /he is meant for it. Don't believe those crap training centre ..Let nature take it course

My daughter is in P6 GEP at RGPS and had just completed her PSLE like all other 50K kids in her cohort. She is now enjoying herself with her fellow P6 GEP at the Sentosa UnderWater World. She was posted to RGPS from CHIJ Pri (Toa Payoh) in 2008. As a child , she was always more sharp and alert than her older sister. Imagine she could solve a logic ratio qns at P3 when her P5 sister could not.

GEP preparation - Why go to extent on doing this ? It cost money and add stress to your kids and yourself. My daughter doesn't need tuition since P1 and even now she does not not have extra enrichment programme.

The GEP testings not only the high order ,systemic and logical thinking ability but the ability to take stress to solve problem under very tight time.

GEPer are known to be quick thinkers and thrive on it. Imagine answering 1 question within 45 - 60 seconds time frame. My daughter told me after her second rounds test that the questions are so easy but her friends all complain like hell.. and most can't finish the paper .. I was told there are mark deduction for wrong mistakes as well ...

That's why the GEP GAT is a real testing to single out the best and coolest top 1% thinkers (500 of 50,000) out there. Incidentally the ratio is almost always 2 boys to 1 girl

So those who made it to the GEP class should be able to take the rigours and pressure of the programme. If your child doesn't make it , it doesn't meant she/he is inferior or less ability than a GEP kids.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts here. I am not too sure if I want my son to go for GEP. If he is indeed smart then I think he can also do well in a normal stream. On the other hand, I also see the value of putting the top thinkers together to sharpen them. So am in a dilemma if he indeed gets it. Your daughter seems to have adjusted to the GEP class very well.

smurfette3
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby smurfette3 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:21 pm

fruitplus wrote:Hi smurfette3,

I was also in your position 3 years ago. My son is in GEP P6 now.

My son was from a neighbourhood school, 15th position in top class. Only 3 students from his school selected (Position 1 and 3 and 15) for GEP that year, all from his class. DS is easygoing, friendly, the happy go lucky type. He doesn't look like those exceptionally bright students (you know, the smart look), he looks like every average boy, though he likes all them mind games (eg. Rush hours) and Lego.

Hubby and I were very surprised that our son got selected. Hubby joked that, "Did they send the letter to the wrong address?"

I talked to a few persons before making the decision to let DS try for GEP. I think we made the right decision. Beside considering we shouldn't let the chance go and regret, I was thinking about the advantages of the EESIS scholarship for GEP students (I didn't know about DSA advantages then).

DS is still very playful, and not very matured. It was worst 3 years ago.

First half year was very tough for him in terms of Social studies (SS) and Higher Chinese (he took Normal Chinese from P1 to P3). He totally enjoy Science and Maths. Expectation of English teacher was very high, too. But he manage to struggles through.

I have a daughter 3 years older than DS, so I just happened to flip through her history text book and found that the topics were similar to Sec 1 history. So I bought a Sec 1 History assessment book - History Study Guide by CASCO -- from Popular book store. His results for SS was 60+ in P4. By P5, he has improved to 80+ (SS portfolios played a big part, too -see below).

The SS portfolios (I think they contribute to 30% or 40% of the overall results, I can't remember the exact figures) were very tough for him in P4 as he wasn't matured enough to tackle the issues, I pushed him very very hard (I scolded him badly, as a result, he cried a few times because he didn't even want to start doing) as he didn't even want to start researching for his portfolios. By P5, I only helped him in vetting thru his grammar and some work in his artefacts. By P6, I only helped him in his artefacts.

I also put him in Eduplus Higher Chinese tuition classes (1 for oral, 1 for composition) from 2nd term of P4, his chinese improved slowly.

I asked him a few weeks ago, whether he like his previous school work (P3) or the GEP school work. He said the GEP school work are more interesting. They even get to discuss wether the laser sword in Star Wars really will work in real life, and many many interesting topics.

If your child is creative, inquistive, and given the chance to join GEP class, you should really let him/her try it out. Almost all kids that are not trained for the GEP selection test will do well in GEP class. It will broaden their mind (especially SS) and experiences.

Besides, for DSA in IP schools, GEP students have better chances. For RI, HCI, as long as the overall average for all the subjects is 80% or above, they don't need to sit for the General Ability Test; for DHS, it is 75%.

Wow, fruitplus, your feedback has given me much more insight to the GEP programme. My son is indeed creative and inquisitive and he gets bored easily in his class at times. He is also not the top in the best class. He is somewhere in the 10th - 12th position.

But he is the kind that will get very upset if I push too much so I was very hesitant about getting him to go for round 2 of GEP. However, after reading what you said, I think the GEP does not sound like a pressure cooker. It sounds interesting and I think I can share this with him. I can't imagine how the children who are trained for GEP will feel if they don't get in. I really feel strongly that GEP is something that we should not train our children for.

smurfette3
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge