35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby vlim » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:15 pm

fruitplus wrote:Hi vlim,

Wow, your son made the decision himself!! Actually, it is good to join the debate team.

For my son's case, he was not chosen by the teacher. My son told me the debate team in his school are trained by someone from RI. If I remembered correctly, everyone in the debate team got confirmed offer for DSA into RI.

How I wish my ds like to join the debate class..but he doesn't like it..and so cannot force him.. :(

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:18 pm

cluelessmama wrote:
KSmom8 wrote:Exams are finally over (well ... almost... DS still has listening compre next week). DS is now happily playing with his Wii :lol: Will let him know about IvP and FPS ... perhaps ... next week. :wink:

Yep, only left with listening compre - doesn't need to prepare. My kid played Wii shooting game with me (mum needs to relax too) :) Now, I'm glad that the exam is so early, coz it ends early ... Yeah!

me happy too ...but the younger one having exam in 2 weeks time..so is like marathon..and the worst thing is this week is her oral exam week but she is sick for the whole week...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zann » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:18 pm

cluelessmama wrote:
KSmom8 wrote:Exams are finally over (well ... almost... DS still has listening compre next week). DS is now happily playing with his Wii :lol: Will let him know about IvP and FPS ... perhaps ... next week. :wink:

Yep, only left with listening compre - doesn't need to prepare. My kid played Wii shooting game with me (mum needs to relax too) :) Now, I'm glad that the exam is so early, coz it ends early ... Yeah!

Yes, good to end early indeed and able to really enjoy PSLE marking days holiday this year. In the past, PSLE marking days were stressful week to prepare SA2, but now yeah can do vacation plan liao... :rahrah:

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby cluelessmama » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:46 pm

Zann wrote:
cluelessmama wrote:

Yes, good to end early indeed and able to really enjoy PSLE marking days holiday this year. In the past, PSLE marking days were stressful week to prepare SA2, but now yeah can do vacation plan liao... :rahrah:

Great minds think alike (don't bother to continue with the next part of this saying... hee...) :grphug:

Enjoy the PSLE marking days! 8)

Hmm, time for us to start baking cookies again, yeah!

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ngbrdad » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:00 am

fruitplus wrote:Hi smurfette3,

I was also in your position 3 years ago. My son is in GEP P6 now.

My son was from a neighbourhood school, 15th position in top class. Only 3 students from his school selected (Position 1 and 3 and 15) for GEP that year, all from his class. DS is easygoing, friendly, the happy go lucky type. He doesn't look like those exceptionally bright students (you know, the smart look), he looks like every average boy, though he likes all them mind games (eg. Rush hours) and Lego.

Hubby and I were very surprised that our son got selected. Hubby joked that, "Did they send the letter to the wrong address?"

I talked to a few persons before making the decision to let DS try for GEP. I think we made the right decision. Beside considering we shouldn't let the chance go and regret, I was thinking about the advantages of the EESIS scholarship for GEP students (I didn't know about DSA advantages then).

DS is still very playful, and not very matured. It was worst 3 years ago.

First half year was very tough for him in terms of Social studies (SS) and Higher Chinese (he took Normal Chinese from P1 to P3). He totally enjoy Science and Maths. Expectation of English teacher was very high, too. But he manage to struggles through.

I have a daughter 3 years older than DS, so I just happened to flip through her history text book and found that the topics were similar to Sec 1 history. So I bought a Sec 1 History assessment book - History Study Guide by CASCO -- from Popular book store. His results for SS was 60+ in P4. By P5, he has improved to 80+ (SS portfolios played a big part, too -see below).

The SS portfolios (I think they contribute to 30% or 40% of the overall results, I can't remember the exact figures) were very tough for him in P4 as he wasn't matured enough to tackle the issues, I pushed him very very hard (I scolded him badly, as a result, he cried a few times because he didn't even want to start doing) as he didn't even want to start researching for his portfolios. By P5, I only helped him in vetting thru his grammar and some work in his artefacts. By P6, I only helped him in his artefacts.

I also put him in Eduplus Higher Chinese tuition classes (1 for oral, 1 for composition) from 2nd term of P4, his chinese improved slowly.

I asked him a few weeks ago, whether he like his previous school work (P3) or the GEP school work. He said the GEP school work are more interesting. They even get to discuss wether the laser sword in Star Wars really will work in real life, and many many interesting topics.

If your child is creative, inquistive, and given the chance to join GEP class, you should really let him/her try it out. Almost all kids that are not trained for the GEP selection test will do well in GEP class. It will broaden their mind (especially SS) and experiences.

Besides, for DSA in IP schools, GEP students have better chances. For RI, HCI, as long as the overall average for all the subjects is 80% or above, they don't need to sit for the General Ability Test; for DHS, it is 75%.

Overall average for all subjects in P6 or thruout the 3 years of GEP ?
Not easy to get 75% and above.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:30 am

smurfette3 wrote:
Mine is opposite, he does not want to go because his friends are not going. They are so young and already influenced by peers.

hahaha...some young minds are very smart..they tell u not going so that kids like your son will be influence and then they have less competition!! :shock:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cluelessmama » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:48 am

vlim wrote:
cluelessmama wrote:

me happy too ...but the younger one having exam in 2 weeks time..so is like marathon..and the worst thing is this week is her oral exam week but she is sick for the whole week...

Wishing a speedy recovery for your younger one.

You must take care too!

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:16 am

ngbrdad wrote:
fruitplus wrote:Hi smurfette3,

I was also in your position 3 years ago. My son is in GEP P6 now.

My son was from a neighbourhood school, 15th position in top class. Only 3 students from his school selected (Position 1 and 3 and 15) for GEP that year, all from his class. DS is easygoing, friendly, the happy go lucky type. He doesn't look like those exceptionally bright students (you know, the smart look), he looks like every average boy, though he likes all them mind games (eg. Rush hours) and Lego.

Hubby and I were very surprised that our son got selected. Hubby joked that, "Did they send the letter to the wrong address?"

I talked to a few persons before making the decision to let DS try for GEP. I think we made the right decision. Beside considering we shouldn't let the chance go and regret, I was thinking about the advantages of the EESIS scholarship for GEP students (I didn't know about DSA advantages then).

DS is still very playful, and not very matured. It was worst 3 years ago.

First half year was very tough for him in terms of Social studies (SS) and Higher Chinese (he took Normal Chinese from P1 to P3). He totally enjoy Science and Maths. Expectation of English teacher was very high, too. But he manage to struggles through.

I have a daughter 3 years older than DS, so I just happened to flip through her history text book and found that the topics were similar to Sec 1 history. So I bought a Sec 1 History assessment book - History Study Guide by CASCO -- from Popular book store. His results for SS was 60+ in P4. By P5, he has improved to 80+ (SS portfolios played a big part, too -see below).

The SS portfolios (I think they contribute to 30% or 40% of the overall results, I can't remember the exact figures) were very tough for him in P4 as he wasn't matured enough to tackle the issues, I pushed him very very hard (I scolded him badly, as a result, he cried a few times because he didn't even want to start doing) as he didn't even want to start researching for his portfolios. By P5, I only helped him in vetting thru his grammar and some work in his artefacts. By P6, I only helped him in his artefacts.

I also put him in Eduplus Higher Chinese tuition classes (1 for oral, 1 for composition) from 2nd term of P4, his chinese improved slowly.

I asked him a few weeks ago, whether he like his previous school work (P3) or the GEP school work. He said the GEP school work are more interesting. They even get to discuss wether the laser sword in Star Wars really will work in real life, and many many interesting topics.

If your child is creative, inquistive, and given the chance to join GEP class, you should really let him/her try it out. Almost all kids that are not trained for the GEP selection test will do well in GEP class. It will broaden their mind (especially SS) and experiences.

Besides, for DSA in IP schools, GEP students have better chances. For RI, HCI, as long as the overall average for all the subjects is 80% or above, they don't need to sit for the General Ability Test; for DHS, it is 75%.

Overall average for all subjects in P6 or thruout the 3 years of GEP ?
Not easy to get 75% and above.

If you're referring to the DSA GAT exemption, it depends on each particular school and their requirements for that year. But typically, you would need to score >80% for P5 results AND P6 results.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby fruitplus » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:28 am

wwcookie wrote:Shouldn't all classes be conducted in this manner? GEP or otherwise? I'm sure all children will benefit from such creative ways of teaching, not just the gifted ones. MOE should strive to nurture creative and confident children, regardless of whether they are in the top 1% or not, and not just exam-smart children.

wwcookie, I agree with you, it would make learning more interesting. Creative teaching should be adopted not only in GEP class, but also mainstream class. The children will look forward to Maths class (bcos of M&Ms, haha), bcos it is more fun. Put in FUN in learning is always better.

But I guess in this case, may be cost is a concern???? 1 packet of M&Ms for each student, who is going to pay??? Teachers or parents? My son said, "May be they can use the MINI M&Ms, it is cheaper."

From what I see, improvements have been done in P1 and P2 (since my son's time ~~ 5 years ago), class size is reduced by 10 (from 40 to 30); the lessons are more interesting than before (my girl's time). My daughter didn't get to write Fairy tales stories at P1 and P2 even though she was from the same Primary school as DS.

So MOE is doing something, may not be as fast as we want, though.

fruitplus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby vlim » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:28 am

cluelessmama wrote:
vlim wrote:
cluelessmama wrote:

Wishing a speedy recovery for your younger one.

You must take care too!

thanks for your concern cluelessmama :D ...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres