Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby SullyM » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:43 pm

sleepy wrote:Can I ask what is general ability test about? General knowledge?

according to DS it was patterns of numbers although he coouldnt remember the questions in detail. when i showed him sample of IQ questions, he said something like this....

wwcookie, DS said :
EL was 72 question, GA1 50-55 questions.

SullyM
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby SullyM » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:48 pm

sakura_2009 wrote:
trileets wrote:Does it mean that even though they don't get into GEP, they are automatically assured a good class next year?

I thought those students (particularly from the neighbourhood achools) who are selected for the GEP test are already in the best 1st or 2nd classes in their own respective schools? No? :?

well, there were only 7 of them fr DS sch who made it for 2nd screening & they were from the top 2 classes. M not sure abt the neighbouring sch that sent a bus load of them!

SullyM
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby youngtay » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:12 pm

cluelessmama wrote:
vlim wrote:hi any of your p4 or p5 kids going for the 4days English workshop in Nov?

Finally found out yesterday that DS's ERP homework is quite interesting but not so simple to do. They have to choose to do one from a list of about 14 items. Deadline is 25 October!!!!

Hi all,

May I know what is the ERP homework about?Is it a must for all the GEP 's student or is it for the selected students?

TIA

youngtay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sandunes » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:51 pm

sleepy wrote:

To send or not to send for GEP training

My neighbhour is half hearted whether to send her ds for GEP training.

On one hand, she feels that it's money down the drain since he probably
doesn't NEED it. He is a member of Mensa, obtained high distinctions in all ICAS papers, top his cohort. Yet on the other hand, she has this nagging thought telling her 'just in case', afterall no harm having more practice?

Her ds day dreams in class the entire time. Principal told her to wait for GEP screening since the school does not have extra resources to allocate
any attention to her ds. And IF for whatever reason he is not selected, he
has to suffer for another 3 years?

Indeed a difficult decision :roll:

Hi Parents
What do you think? Hers is not hothoused kind
So to send or not to send for GEP training in this situtation
:scratchhead:

To me, this is not a difficult decision at all because GEP training should not even exist in the first place. The only ones who benefit from these workshops are the tutors. If your friend believes that her ds is gifted, he most likely is. So he will not need any extra coaching for the screening. JMO. :D

sandunes
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Picolo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:56 pm

sandunes wrote:
sleepy wrote:

To send or not to send for GEP training

My neighbhour is half hearted whether to send her ds for GEP training.

On one hand, she feels that it's money down the drain since he probably
doesn't NEED it. He is a member of Mensa, obtained high distinctions in all ICAS papers, top his cohort. Yet on the other hand, she has this nagging thought telling her 'just in case', afterall no harm having more practice?

Her ds day dreams in class the entire time. Principal told her to wait for GEP screening since the school does not have extra resources to allocate
any attention to her ds. And IF for whatever reason he is not selected, he
has to suffer for another 3 years?

Indeed a difficult decision :roll:

Hi Parents
What do you think? Hers is not hothoused kind
So to send or not to send for GEP training in this situtation
:scratchhead:

To me, this is not a difficult decision at all because GEP training should not even exist in the first place. The only ones who benefit from these workshops are the tutors. If your friend believes that her ds is gifted, he most likely is. So he will not need any extra coaching for the screening. JMO. :D

Agree with sandunes. From your description of the boy, the chance of him getting into GEP is definitely high. If your neighbour (NB) has money to burn or want to stretch her son since his school work is totally unchallenging, I guess she can probably send him to an enrichment centre or tutor to tackle more challenging questions or get to know more people with the same horsepower, friends who can understand what he's talking/joking about etc, whether it's meant for GEP preparation or not.

Actually, only about 1% of the P3 kids will get into GEP every year. If he can't get into GEP (let's say he belongs to the top 2 -5 % only), then after SA2, your NB can always apply for a transfer for her ds to go to a GEP school to join their mainstream high-ability class, where the other pupils are of similar calibre as her ds.

If I am your NB, I will be more concerned to know why ds is day-dreaming so much in class. What I am trying to say is, going for GEP preparation doesn't guarantee him a place in GEP (even though he's smart). GEP is also not the only place for smart kids.

Hope this helps.

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby DaddyPapa » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi all I am a newbie here :lol:

Would like to share a GA question from my DD.

Crate ________ Hit

1) Punch
2) Box
3) ??? she forgotten

DaddyPapa
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby cluelessmama » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:53 am

DaddyPapa wrote:Hi all I am a newbie here :lol:

Crate ________ Hit

1) Punch
2) Box
3) ??? she forgotten

Ans: box :D

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cluelessmama » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:56 am

youngtay wrote:
cluelessmama wrote:
vlim wrote:hi any of your p4 or p5 kids going for the 4days English workshop in Nov?

Finally found out yesterday that DS's ERP homework is quite interesting but not so simple to do. They have to choose to do one from a list of about 14 items. Deadline is 25 October!!!!

Hi all,

May I know what is the ERP homework about?Is it a must for all the GEP 's student or is it for the selected students?

TIA

Hi,

The GEP students are given a ERP list (recommended reading list). Throughout the year, they will be asked to do a few (2?) book reviews/summary. The books are quite interesting; some are pretty common - Roald Dahl's. :D

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby DecJan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:15 pm

DaddyPapa wrote:Hi all I am a newbie here :lol:

Crate ________ Hit

1) Punch
2) Box
3) ??? she forgotten

Hi,
my dd said this is an "example" qn to show the children how to approach the questions. It is not one of the questions that they were required to do. :D

DecJan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ApronMama » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:40 pm

Is the answer (1) ?

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP