All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Postby KSmom8 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:01 pm

Zann wrote:
sunflowermom wrote:
Zann wrote:Any parents gotton extra tickets and can spare 1 for me? Kindly pm me. Thanks.


If I remembered correctly, u only need the ticket to get into the auditorium to listen to the presentation. However, viewing of the exhibits does not required any ticket. You may want to confirm this with your child's teacher.


Yes. it is for viewing the presentation.


I have not received the ticket :shock:, will have to ask Ds.

By the way, have your children received their marks for the P4 math exam? Was the paper particularly difficult? My son's marks were shocking :!:

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:45 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby pecalis » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:38 pm

KSmom8 wrote:By the way, have your children received their marks for the P4 math exam? Was the paper particularly difficult? My son's marks were shocking :!:


What do you mean by shocking? For mine, Math is supposed to be his best subject but he was shocked himself too!

Highest in class for Math was 97 but ds only managed to pass. It is not very difficult but he was very careless and plus the fact, no time to finish Section C - so gave away many marks. So I told him he needs to practice more qns to get the speed and ability to process qns quickly. I find he has no system of doing Math nowadays - strange, funny method, probably discovered in class - can be very fast or take a long time to do. The problem is - where to get more qns to practice? He didn't do well for the 1st common test - same reason - very careless. So I had to set similar type of qns for him to practice for the 2nd common test :(

pecalis
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:19 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Zann » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:08 pm

pecalis wrote:[
Highest in class for Math was 97 ... :(


Can get 97 for GEP maths and that's really :!:

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby cluelessmama » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:56 pm

Zann wrote:
pecalis wrote:[
Highest in class for Math was 97 ... :(


Can get 97 for GEP maths and that's really :!:


No news about scores yet. :?

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:05 am
Total Likes: 1


Postby KSmom8 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:06 am

pecalis wrote:
KSmom8 wrote:By the way, have your children received their marks for the P4 math exam? Was the paper particularly difficult? My son's marks were shocking :!:


What do you mean by shocking? For mine, Math is supposed to be his best subject but he was shocked himself too!

Highest in class for Math was 97 but ds only managed to pass. It is not very difficult but he was very careless and plus the fact, no time to finish Section C - so gave away many marks. So I told him he needs to practice more qns to get the speed and ability to process qns quickly. I find he has no system of doing Math nowadays - strange, funny method, probably discovered in class - can be very fast or take a long time to do. The problem is - where to get more qns to practice? He didn't do well for the 1st common test - same reason - very careless. So I had to set similar type of qns for him to practice for the 2nd common test :(


The highest in class is 94. Have not seen the paper yet. Math is supposed to be his best subject too, but he failed this time :cry: ... though overall he managed to pass according to his teacher.

He's normally careful but noticed that he's been very careless this year, probably due to lack of practice and time. Gave him more questions to practice from P5 and P6 revision books but realise that they are not the same level of difficulty.

Any suggestions on where to get more questions for practice? Am very concerned because math is supposed to be his best subject. :?: :?: :?:

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:45 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby cluelessmama » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:44 am

KSmom8 wrote:
pecalis wrote:
KSmom8 wrote:By the way, have your children received their marks for the P4 math exam? Was the paper particularly difficult? My son's marks were shocking :!:


What do you mean by shocking? For mine, Math is supposed to be his best subject but he was shocked himself too!

Highest in class for Math was 97 but ds only managed to pass. It is not very difficult but he was very careless and plus the fact, no time to finish Section C - so gave away many marks. So I told him he needs to practice more qns to get the speed and ability to process qns quickly. I find he has no system of doing Math nowadays - strange, funny method, probably discovered in class - can be very fast or take a long time to do. The problem is - where to get more qns to practice? He didn't do well for the 1st common test - same reason - very careless. So I had to set similar type of qns for him to practice for the 2nd common test :(


The highest in class is 94. Have not seen the paper yet. Math is supposed to be his best subject too, but he failed this time :cry: ... though overall he managed to pass according to his teacher.

He's normally careful but noticed that he's been very careless this year, probably due to lack of practice and time. Gave him more questions to practice from P5 and P6 revision books but realise that they are not the same level of difficulty.

Any suggestions on where to get more questions for practice? Am very concerned because math is supposed to be his best subject.


How has he been doing for his CAs? Any indication that spells "trouble"?

For my kid, I notice she has become more careless this year too. She has become slower too. I pinpointed this to 2 factors :1)Sums are more challenging, so require more time to solve each sum. 2)Compare to her old school which loves to load them with tons of drills, now she has less and hence her speed has slackened.

Know the problems but not easy to solve them coz very hard to find questions of same level of difficulties

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:05 am
Total Likes: 1


Postby vlim » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:51 am

can try getting mainstream past years exam papers (one level up) for them to try..It might be easier but at least get their brain's engine started. Nevertheless I think should be able to find a few challenging questions from these papers.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:49 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby cluelessmama » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:19 am

vlim wrote:can try getting mainstream past years exam papers (one level up) for them to try..It might be easier but at least get their brain's engine started. Nevertheless I think should be able to find a few challenging questions from these papers.


thanks. now, am waiting anxiously for kid to come home today...let's hope they get to know some of the scores by today. :pray:

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:05 am
Total Likes: 1


Postby pecalis » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:42 am

vlim wrote:can try getting mainstream past years exam papers (one level up) for them to try..It might be easier but at least get their brain's engine started. Nevertheless I think should be able to find a few challenging questions from these papers.


I tried giving him P5 math (too easy) and even P6 English - mainstream. Agree tt these are not challenging enough and thus, cause him to be even more complacent!

A few of the qns are the Math Olympiad type tt he has done before from Terry Chew but due to out of touch or carelessness - still got them wrong. So for now, back to doing Math Olympiad, since so free now!

pecalis
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:19 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby TwaTau » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:09 pm

I found the following in Popular, and DS seems to like the challenges:

Title: "Challenging maths problem for the advanced learner", author Jeanie Yeo, publisher Marshall Cavenish Education. I remember they had it for P5 and P6, not sure it is available for P4.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 592
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:36 am
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to GEP