Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby lizawa » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:17 am

He took some time to decide, and finally chose no, not because of what I said, but because he doesn't want to have to switch to another school and lose all his friends if selected Confused

Hi Chief,

Interesting. I guess your son must treasure friendship alot, even at this young age, he is afraid of losing all his friends.

I think most parents would want their children to try out, secretly hoping to find out where their child stand through this screening process. I have to admit that I was thinking the same when I told my kids to sit for the screening test at P3.

If the kids can pass round 1 , which is really English and Maths at a higher level, even if they are not selected at round 2, we as parents, are more or less assured that they have achieved or capable of achieving good results for English and Maths. So really, there is no harm trying.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby breguet » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:52 pm

Yeah Chief, I thought your son is quite a sentimental one. My perspective is to ask the child to take it, but like you, de-emphasize the outcome. If push comes to shove and the kid gets in, then it's decision time. Otherwise, it's another day!

Sometimes though, the attitudes of their friends may affect them. So all the more, us parents may want to take it as breezily as possible so that we don't pass down any of our anxiety.

breguet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ZacK » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:37 pm

heutistmeintag wrote:I am just wondering aloud if there is a child who is gifted but late developer? If there is, I guess the child will be disadvantaged by the GEP screening and this unfortunate situation may need the screening to be conducted at several levels instead of just at P3..

This has always been my peeve with the system... There are kids who develope much later. With the streaming system, it is not impossible but it would be difficult for them to switch out to other areas where they have interests or gifts in later.

My own case...

1. I was not very motivated and lazy (I should say) when I was younger, so have been sort of an average student able to get by with minimum study.
2. Subsequently got "streamed" into Technical in secondary school and went along with that as I didnt know what my interests were.
3. Went to JC and thinking I wanted to be a doctor, did triple science and maths... Kinda of obvious that it would take a miracle for me to pass. I flopped badly... But I had fun there at least :lol:
4. The following year switched to Poly and did electronics engineering because that was the hottest course during my time and I managed to get in :roll:
5. Anyway managed to graduate even though I was hardly interested in the course. Found a job that sort of was relevant to what I studied and was there for a year.
6. Subsequently landed in a 2nd job that was more related to business and finance. Took up further courses of study in the current work area. Spent lots of more time and $$$ to be adequately equipped for my role.
7. Stayed in the same industry for more than 10 years now... Although I'm not worse off compared with my peers in Poly... Still not a Uni graduate as I do not like to obtain papers for the sake of getting it.
8. Think I turned out fairly well and still able to "survive" through sheer diligence, high EQ, confident and being self-motivated to produce good quality work.

So if I take myself as a living example... I do not think that streaming is useful or at least at too young an age. I probably will not stress my son to achieve high grades or good results (But I guess for many parents, good grades equates to smart kids equates to parents looking good :oops: )... But concentrate more on building him up to be self-motivated, confident and being sensitive to his surroundings. I think this will be the core attributes that will be able to see him survive on his own. 8)
Last edited by ZacK on Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ZacK » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:38 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:Yes, I was confronted by my son with the call for GEP screening a couple of days back. My son asked me if he can go for it. I said, sure you can, but do you know what it is all about. He said that it is about how well he can do in English and Math. So I asked him if he thinks being good in English and Maths makes a person "gifted". He says yes, but what about those good in Chinese and Science but not in English? You are right... I said, and how about being good in drawing, craftsmanship, drama, IT, salesmanship, organization, presentation, and being able to convince and lead people? Are being talented in those things not counted as being gifted too? No, he said, I think they are gifted too. So do you need to go for an English and Maths test to let someone tell you whether you are gifted or not? You are already a very special and gifted child to me already, I said. He was quiet.

I signed the form and asked him to decide for himself if he wants to go. He took some time to decide, and finally chose no, not because of what I said, but because he doesn't want to have to switch to another school and lose all his friends if selected :? .

Hmmm... I like the way you handled this situation... Hope I'll still remember this when my time comes :D

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:18 pm

Yes, I fully agree with you Zack. I was a late bloomer myself.

I never know what is the objective of study in my younger days. My parents are just pushing me to pass to next level but they never set any expectation on me. I think they are relieve so long as I pass.

I went to Normal stream after PSLE. It was only in sec 3 that I discover how good it felt to do well in exams and that the teachers recognise me. This pushed me to work hard and I did well for my "N" and subsequently "O". As there wasn't a single science subject in my "O" since the principal felt that normal stream students shouldn't take any as they can't cope. I couldn't qualify for Poly unless those biz subjects which was very competitive. My "O" scores though not bad just wasn't good enough to let me do a biz diploma.

Iso doing "A" as I felt I was already a year behind, I went to do pte diploma. Not fully aware of the recognition aspect even though I won book prizes. I had my 1st job in a bank and as my diploma was not as recognise as poly I had to start from a clerk. But I think my bosses like my working attitude and wanted to promote me the following year. But I left the banking industry to pursue another area.

All is not lost as I eventually went on to do my degree and prof papers. Just 2 days ago, my mum met my pri school friend's mum. This friend did well since young, went to top school and is a scholar. The mum told my mum how much this friend of mine is earning currently. FYI, I am still earning at least few k more than him though I went thru a much complicated route.

Undeniably I feel "good" in a sense that despite that I was never top, that does not mean I will be significantly worse off than my top peers. I feel that it's fate sometimes where I get to meet the right people and was given the right opp at the right time to bring me where I am today. Also, I think my working attitude also helps. So yes, I want my kids to excel and dun go through the same route as me. But seeing myself, there is never a guarantee that if you are a top student, you will definitely have a brighter future.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ZacK » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:19 pm

Hi MMM,

Thanks for sharing... Actually how our personal experiences are will also have a bearing on how we raise our kids.

I choose to think that having gone through the non-conventional route... I'm not so particular abt what my son's grades are as long as he does not go below the point where it indicates that he has a learning problem :oops:

For now... My son gets a break from enrichment classes... He only starts his CMA class later this month... He attends his usual Mon-Fri half day kindergarten class which I find has been beneficial for him. At best to just sign him up for swimming classes... Other than that he is free to do what he wants with his time :D

I'm glad that you had the right opportunities at the right time... I'm only on par with graduates holding the same job responsibilities. Attempted to do a PT degree but dropped it (as it was going through the motion) to do professional papers instead 8)

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:48 pm

Hi Zack,

I understand what you mean.

For me, I actually prefer my kids to be self-motivated rather than being pushed by us to study. I know this is too idealistic and how many kids are self-motivated. I feel that a self-motivated person can do a lot more. I am just praying that my son to "kai (1) qiao (4)" faster. It's like once the switch is turn on, you will know what you want and the rest will follow.

On the other hand, I always tell them that what they are doing is for themselves and not us. We are not the ones who is going to sweep the singapore road or throw the spore rubbish should we choose not to study. They are the ones who have to face it themselves.

Haha unlike you, i am not so relaxed mum as I send them for enrichment classes. I actually give them "vision". eg. if you do well, you can go to this school,etc... I think this is what my parents fail to give me when I was young. They are happy if I get married, have 2 kids, get a bank teller job (haha that explains why my 1st job is in a bank), stay in a 5 room flat and drive a 1000 cc car. I didn't know what I was aiming for in life.

On the other hand, on a long term basis, I would strongly encourage you to pursue a degree or some prof qualifications. There are too many grads nowadays, though there is nothing special but without paper, you will find yourself "handicapped" at some stage. Eg. companies who insist that the certain role must be filled by degree holder,etc... when you are on the lookout.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:00 pm

MMM wrote: there is never a guarantee that if you are a top student, you will definitely have a brighter future.

I was a top student. And now I'm a sahm. Is that a bright future?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tamarind » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:10 pm

jedamum wrote:
MMM wrote: there is never a guarantee that if you are a top student, you will definitely have a brighter future.

I was a top student. And now I'm a sahm. Is that a bright future?

Getting a good hubby who can earn enough so that you can have the luxury to stay at home, is also a very bright future :lol:

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ZacK » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:04 pm

MMM wrote:Haha unlike you, i am not so relaxed mum as I send them for enrichment classes. I actually give them "vision". eg. if you do well, you can go to this school,etc... I think this is what my parents fail to give me when I was young. They are happy if I get married, have 2 kids, get a bank teller job (haha that explains why my 1st job is in a bank), stay in a 5 room flat and drive a 1000 cc car. I didn't know what I was aiming for in life.

One thing I do not want to do is to be a slave to my son... I do what is enough to keep him in the race, spend my own time wif him to inculcate the right values. So I make sure my wife and I have our own individual space to breathe to pursue our own hobbies/interests... I read of so many parents doing so much ... yes out of love for their kids... But if we(parents) cant even take care of ourselves and ensure that we are not burnt out... How can we expect our kids to be any different and to cope... By having my own space, I also wont feel that having kids is a burden then.

MMM wrote:On the other hand, on a long term basis, I would strongly encourage you to pursue a degree or some prof qualifications. There are too many grads nowadays, though there is nothing special but without paper, you will find yourself "handicapped" at some stage. Eg. companies who insist that the certain role must be filled by degree holder,etc... when you are on the lookout.

I know what you mean... But I'm not really that young anymore... So cant compete wif the grads with qualifications... At my level, I have to go in based on experienced. And that is why track record and good reference is impt. Anyway, my next career check pt is 4 yrs later... For me to decide what/where I wanna do/go 8)

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres