35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby millan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:46 pm

naggo-nitemare wrote:Hi Millan. I too face the same situation as u. My son is now in P5 GEP. For english, I find the P6 justenglish clinic series assessment books 6a n 6b useful as warm-ups for any sort of upcoming tests n to keep in tune with next year's PSLE format. He'll do a couple of pages here n there each week, if he finds the time. I help by reminding him of his deadlines for reviews, write-ups, drafts, also get bks tt are on the reading lists.

For math, nothing much we can do too. But i came across this bk Maths Olympiad (advanced) published by SAP. He enjoys solving the problems n the topics are v in-line with GEP curriculum. Go check it out at Popular bkstore.

As the science topics are not taught in the same sequence, I buy the p6 science assessment bks that go by topics so tt nearing test dates, he can do some warm-up. But i think the reading material given to him by the sch n experiments conducted during the classes are gd enough, provided he pays full attention n puts in his best for daily work n projects.

Ultimately, just like in the mainstream, attitude towards daily hmwk n projects is the key. Corrections must be done properly. Then we pray like mad tt our kids have these 4 ingredients till they graduate : Discipline, motivation, passion, perseverance.

Hi naggo-nitemare,

Precisely these are still kids, which is why the 4 ingredients are not totally in, sometimes, even adults also lact of such ingredients...

So may I ask, for GEP P4, do you also gets books for them? For their tests, didn't they go by own syllabus?

millan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Rosie » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:26 pm

Hi Millan,

I'm working part-time.

What's 'manyan'? Checked with my girl, she has neither done roman numbering nor 'manyan' this term. Thought the syllabus is standard across all GEP schools... :|

As for work load, I supposed it's quite relative. In her previous school, my daughter was pretty 'eng', she spend most of her time watching TV, reading Harry Potter books and playing, cycling with her friends/neighbours and cousins. Pretty much carefree living.

Now, with a more demanding curriculum, she will need to manage her time efficiently (she's quite bad at it and very often got her priority all wrong...TV/play comes 1st attitude) if she wants to maintain the same kind of lifestyle.

She has not even started reading any of the books in the extensive reading list given to them at the beginning of the year. She claimed they are boring stuff.

I agree that the 4 ingredients mentioned by naggo-nitemare are important but how do we instil these in them?

Rosie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

All About GEP

Postby naggo-nitemare » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:20 pm

Last year when my son was doing p4 GEP, nearing test dates for math n science, he revises mostly with just his file notes. For math, i make sure he goes through his past mistakes so tt he will not repeat them, careless or otherwise. No point doing mainstream math papers. His math teacher gave them a couple of mock papers as warm-up so u dont have to source.

For science, I vet through those mainstream top sch exam papers tt are sold outside clementi ntuc, cancel out those simple qns n ask him to do only the more challenging ones, especially open ended ones, in order to be time-efficient. His science teacher also gave mock papers to warm-up.

For HMT, his sch teacher prepared him well and i'm in no position to help. For SS exams, read the given notes n pay attention in class. Participate in discussions as actively as possible in order to learn better.

For english, he read as many bks on the reading list as possible. I think he managed less than half on tt list. The english teacher gave his class many mock papers nearing the exams.

Overall, his teachers prepared his class pretty well for the major exams. Hope it'll be the same for ur kid too.

I know it's tough to hv all 4 ingredients all the time in our kids. Teacher-student relationship matters alot for motivation. Each kid has different passions. Some love creative writing, for others it's maths/science. My advice to him is always 'Don't compare with others; just do your best and everything will fall into place.'

naggo-nitemare
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cluelessmom » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:15 pm

millan wrote:thks , cluseless mom, u actually got lots of clue.. ha ha ha

haha :lol: I have to thank the parents & CKS here in tis forum who clued me in wif lotsa of gd advises and tips..........

Actually I m in the same situation here kekeke but too lazy, tired and not motivated enuff to do anythg yet..... and still quite clueless to the program....

Think I will wait for her CA scores b4 deciding if she needs more close monitoring....... likewise Rosie, my dd exhibit the same syndrome of exhaustion... think they used up alot of brain cells in school :sweat: In her old school, she stayed back 4 out of 5 school days for her CCA and school enrichment but when she gets back home, she is still bursting wif energy and still finds time to do lots of leisure reading.... now she stays back 3 - 4 days in school but is back looking drained almost everyday.... :faint: I jus wonder how other parents plan xtra tuition or enrichment into their schedule...... I feel so bad for her so normally I let her R&R whn she is done wif her hmework and on weekends......

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby millan » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:03 pm

cluelessmom wrote:
millan wrote:thks , cluseless mom, u actually got lots of clue.. ha ha ha

haha :lol: I have to thank the parents & CKS here in tis forum who clued me in wif lotsa of gd advises and tips..........

Actually I m in the same situation here kekeke but too lazy, tired and not motivated enuff to do anythg yet..... and still quite clueless to the program....

Think I will wait for her CA scores b4 deciding if she needs more close monitoring....... likewise Rosie, my dd exhibit the same syndrome of exhaustion... think they used up alot of brain cells in school :sweat: In her old school, she stayed back 4 out of 5 school days for her CCA and school enrichment but when she gets back home, she is still bursting wif energy and still finds time to do lots of leisure reading.... now she stays back 3 - 4 days in school but is back looking drained almost everyday.... :faint: I jus wonder how other parents plan xtra tuition or enrichment into their schedule...... I feel so bad for her so normally I let her R&R whn she is done wif her hmework and on weekends......

Hi,

Fo my son, it is abt 3 days a week to stay back in schools. there are times , he said he needs abt 3 hrs to do his work. We try to make sure he sleeps at 10pm. But when there are times both me and my hubby came home late, we might have to struggle to help him cos we are not very sure also. so agar agar lor

millan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby vlim » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:16 am

my son is in p4 gep this year too.. I am lost of what assessment to let him do and anyway he has no extra time for it. Other then doing his daily school home works, he only left with a bit time for psp and story books. I wouldn't want to stress him more as he is pretty temperamental and pessimistic at times. Unlike when he was in P3, he would do those assessments which i ask him to do. This year he reject to do those assessment which i ask him to do and also not reading those science info book which i borrow from the library saying that they are boring...Maybe they are already mentally stress and stretch in school.......
Anyway, tentatively, got to let him adapt to the new school and gep programme. :?

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: All About GEP

Postby vlim » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:29 pm

naggo-nitemare wrote:Yes. Some hand holding is definitely impt for term 1 n 2. I realised tt the SS family tree project involves a detailed write-up of a family member when during the parent briefing at the start of the sch term, we were shown examples of this project/write-up. My jaws almost dropped when i saw how sophisticated some of the trees were n the documents submitted for the write-ups were quite substantive. The whole aim, i think, is to teach the pupil to collate data, understand what is pri n sec source of info, plan n organise and to prepare n conduct interviews. Tks to the briefing, i could then advise my son NOT to interview his grandma for she too had no birth cert, no education certs nor job experience as she was, like many in her generation, a full time homemaker.

But dont worry, handholding will be required much less when the pupil finds his comfort zone by semester 2. In fact, now my son prefers to do all his reseach n reports w/o my kaypoh-ing. Don't worry. In time, ur kid too will find her/his comfort zone. But it is impt tt as a parent, we continue to be aware of what's going on - project types, project due dates, exam /tests schedules. It is v impt for u to gather a couple of the classmates' parents' contact nos to update one another.

As for the family tree project, it's only part of the whole year's work. There are many other components adding up to the final score. It really isn't difficult to pass SS well.

:D I am new to this forum and I sincerely like your advice. my son is first year in gep this year.. as usual, now experience stress and I being the kangchong mum will always check his files for homework once I reach home.. aiyo this year I found that he is pretty forgetful as at forgetting to do some homework. Initially he was not too happen as he could not find a good friend in his group but now seems better. He used to be good in Maths but now I am worried that as he has no extra time for assessment he might not have enough practice for coming test. I have checked with his subject teachers about his progress. english teacher said that he is participating well in class and Maths teacher said that he is capable of very good results if he continue to work hard... and I was wondering do they give the same remarks to the students :idea:
sometime I would find hard to talk to him as he tends to be more impatience and bad tempered..maybe not too happy with my nagging.ha.ha.... anyway when he is in good mood he will tell me softly I am good mummy :love: .. and when he is not in good mood he will say i am evil... :rant:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Don't be caught off-guard

Postby mathsparks » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:50 pm

Just want to caution parents how some schools decide which kids to register for Maths Olympiad.

For P6, major competitions are the ones conducted by RI and HCI. In my son's school, only students belonging to Maths/AMEC club are registered for the RI contest though the HCI one is open to the GEP/high ability kids.

We were pretty upset as this rule was not make known to us. So my son has missed the opportunity to try out the RI contest.

So, if your kids show ability to tackle Maths oly qns, make sure you find out early, else he'll be deprived of the opportunity to compete.

:cry:

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngbrdad » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:07 pm

Just like to introduce a book to you guys.
It's called The Singapore Model Method for learning Mathematics.
Published by MOE thru EPB.
Got it at the Popular fair for around $27.

I found that by referring to the working examples, one is able to solve the problem sums for my son.
He is only in P4 GEP but the sums he has to do are classified under the P6 in the book.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngbrdad » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:26 pm

For the GEP common test math paper, what is the paper 2 on investigation about ?

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres