Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: gep

Postby allamanda » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:12 pm

KSmom8 wrote:
Way2GO wrote:
allamanda wrote:
The problem is she doesn't like these 2 schools after visiting the school, I am thinking of how to send her to nanyang pri, she said that is her dream school. I still hv a son study in pm session just next to my block.. Anyone who is staying in the extreme east and going nanyang pri by sch bus? need some advice here..

Congrats allamanda on ur dd getting into GEP.
NYPS is a good choice. I am also staying in d East.
The school bus does ply this route - it is one of d longer routes;
If I recall correctly from the transport vendor,
it takes about 45 mins - 1 hour from East to NYPS;
cost about 100+ per mth;
On CCA days, bus leaves at 4 pm; on some days when GEP activities overshoot this timing, u still need to arrange alternative transport but is not often.
If u drive, it only takes < 1/2 hour to reach NYPS in the mornings.
U can get more details from d transport vendor when NYPS arrange a briefing for incoming students.

Personally I don't recommend selecting a school that is far away unless the child has private transport. I feel that it is simply too tiring to travel on bus before / after a long day in school. But that's just my opinion... ...

I remember one of the criteria for MOE to decide whether to allocate the school to the child is distance of your home to your preferred school, so you should include detailed reasons to support your choice of school especially if the school is very far from your home.

yes, i agree with you. her current sch is just next to my blk, she can get up at 7am and still can make it for the assembly at 7.25am. for st hildas, my husband can send her by bike, is just 5mins away. walking may take 15mins. she can even "long pung" my neighbors' car. she refuses to join guzheng or violin as cca. she can pick up any instruments easily with the music background in piano, guitar, liuqin/ruan etc.. she insisted 'a sch with chinese orchestra"..that is her min criteria.. sign...
allamanda
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby TwaTau » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:59 am

Laughter wrote:Thanks!! If she is selected we will attend the briefing. I just met a parent whom son is my girl's classmate. This poor parent is so anixous about the result whether his child will be selected anot guess what my girl reply. She said she will select not her friend she will write in to give her place to this friend as his parent is so keen about. That's my girl attitude therefore I don't pin any hope on her.

At least you have a very generous girl, :celebrate:

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby clover18 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:30 am

So all kids who got into GEP will sit for different tests/exams from the mainstream kids, other than PSLE? Just curious...it is so common to find 'past year papers' being sold in the market; are there similar stuff for GEP?

clover18
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby blur-daddy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:53 am

clover18 wrote:So all kids who got into GEP will sit for different tests/exams from the mainstream kids, other than PSLE? Just curious...it is so common to find 'past year papers' being sold in the market; are there similar stuff for GEP?

Yes, GEP sit for different tests/exams from mainstream till they 'merge' back in P6 to go for PSLE, applicable to all.

My DS1 took his GEP paper, and later, sit for mainstream paper just to get a feel of what mainstream exam looks like. According to him, English, Maths and Sciences are tougher for GEP paper as compared to mainstream, while for Chinese paper, mainstream one is harder... *note-DS1 suck in chinese. His hated subject.*

As for GEP exam paper, don't think u can get it... it is not like 10 yr series u can buy outside de. I did scan in his GEP exam paper for P4 returned for signing, but all with his scribbing and answers... so I can't sell hor. :idea:

blur-daddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby comfy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:14 am

Hi blur-daddy,
Is your child happy in his/her GEP school and can he/she cope with the subjects/workload? Take up any CCA? How ds/dd find the teachers?

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby clover18 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:34 am

Thanks for sharing, blur-daddy. As a father, you really put in effort in your child's education! My dd just got selected into GEP and I have no clue how strenuous and difficult the work load will be, so trying to learn more here....I dont think there's any assessment books (and like you said, no PYP) that we can get in the market.

clover18
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Full.Cream » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:40 am

regarding the teachers, think the range can be quite wide. for my son, I find his p4 teachers (except maths) not very patient and totally cannot tahan those socially non conforming kids (eg my son!!) :cry:

P5 teachers were much better and they not only did not single him out, they were willing to give him extra attention (1 to 1) after school coz he was underperforming.

P6 was his fav yr!! He simply loves his teachers so much so that he talked to us abt them more often than ever. This is a big deal for us coz you know boy lah...most of the time whe u ask them something, their answer is 'like that lor....' :stupid:

Full.Cream
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby blur-daddy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:55 am

comfy wrote:Hi blur-daddy,
Is your child happy in his/her GEP school and can he/she cope with the subjects/workload? Take up any CCA? How ds/dd find the teachers?

We didn't really spent a lot of time with him and when i'm involved, it was usually last minute i.e. the night before, assignment due... and usually to those subjects he don't like e.g. IRS, social study etc.

DS1 is stubborn by nature and if he don't like certain things, not ez to convince him... so we usually respect his decision, and just tell him to 'die die' must pass those subjects he hated... and do well for those subjects he liked. Already he told us he don't like FPSP and IvP and whatever... thinking of doing project like "101 ways to kill-off IRS".

From what we see, he seems ok except constant grumbling of those items he don't like. Yes, like anyone else, CCA is compulsory in school but his school CCA is limited... we sign him up for archery in a CC nearby our place as that's the one that interest him most. I used this as a bait to encourage him to do well in school, and I do think CCA is important as a balance from school work.

As for teachers, OMG... I better don't comment here in case my DS1 kanan mark. Anyway, in simple term, there are teachers he loved, and there are teachers he hated. And from my limited observation, he is usually right in his judgement.

blur-daddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: gep

Postby ksme » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:57 am

allamanda wrote:yes, i agree with you. her current sch is just next to my blk, she can get up at 7am and still can make it for the assembly at 7.25am. for st hildas, my husband can send her by bike, is just 5mins away. walking may take 15mins. she can even "long pung" my neighbors' car. she refuses to join guzheng or violin as cca. she can pick up any instruments easily with the music background in piano, guitar, liuqin/ruan etc.. she insisted 'a sch with chinese orchestra"..that is her min criteria.. sign...

Hi Allamanda,
Not sure if you know about this, there is a lot of rumours that Tao Nan school will be moving out of its current site to a temporary location either in Bedok or Pasir Ris in 2012 or 2013. The current location will go through some upgrading to prepare it for single session.

The Tao Nan Chinese Orchestra has been awarded Gold with Honours in the 2010 Singapore Youth Festival and 2 of the members have been accepted into the Singapore National Youth Orchestra. You can find more details on this CCA per this link:
http://www.taonan.moe.edu.sg/?aid=344&g ... 5&lid=4132

Not sure if the above is helpful or make you/your DD more confused. Wish you and your DD all the best in getting into a school of her choice. :D

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby blur-daddy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:05 pm

clover18 wrote:Thanks for sharing, blur-daddy. As a father, you really put in effort in your child's education! My dd just got selected into GEP and I have no clue how strenuous and difficult the work load will be, so trying to learn more here....I dont think there's any assessment books (and like you said, no PYP) that we can get in the market.

Haha... congratulation! You go for the talk and can find out more... key thing is really, there is nothing to prepare. If you not comfortable, I can send u the book reading list DS1 got when he began his P4... in the end, I doubt those reading list help anyway... just to address parent fear of 'die die' must do something during holiday to prepare the kids.

I bought those P4 text books and DS1 didn't use anyone of them... they only use worksheet and papers and rarely, or never, refer back to textbook... wasted money... and I'm seriously considering whether should we buy P5 textbooks...

As for books to help, think enough feedback provided in this forum already... those math olympia books if your DD like maths will be good to prepare her for different type of maths problems... or general science etc. Can start to teach her history of SGP... focus on our founder and WWII... like my DS1 say "boring like hell..."

My advice is to use this Dec holiday and let your DD have a GREAT time... i know this is hard to accept, but that's the best way to prepare her. :celebrate:

blur-daddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge