35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby mystuff_corner » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:48 pm

Hi parents,

My daughter was selected to GEP, but the problem is we will relocate next year, should I apply Letter of Absence from which school? current school or GEP school, hardly to get support form GEP school if I home school Spore syllabus overseas.

Any good advice there?

mystuff_corner
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cluelessmama » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:53 pm

thmejlfm wrote:So, end up, did your child change school? How is it now? Can tell me more.

I think I have more worries than happiness.

Similar scenario last year : kid got selected, refused to change, a lot of persusaion.. blah blah..

First, don't panic. Attend the GEP talk with your DD - I believe she will change her view after the talk.

Second, most of the children (kid and her classmates)will enjoy GEP. They won't be bored as they will be mentally challenged.

Third, they will become more independent and responsible (projects, filing, etc). I believe they become more articluate in general.

Hope that helps. :D
[/quote]

Yes, changed school and she is still happy now :)

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby TwaTau » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:55 pm

thmejlfm wrote:Hi! I am new here.

My DD today just collected the big & thick yellow envelope back home. I was so happy for her. But, she refused to change school. In her class, there were total 5 students went in the GEP. So scary!

By the way, I am very blurred about this GEP. Would like to know what will the child benefit in this program. Would it be very stress for the child?

Would like to hear from the present or ex GEP child's parent opinion. Please advise.

:?

It is a good problem to have, and I had a similar situation 2 years ago as you. Did a lot of convincing and pat talk and only till the last day, he gave in. We ask him the other day whether he regret leaving his old school and join the GEP, and his reply was "ok lah, alot of hardwork, but his new bunch of friends are AWESOME."

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby thmejlfm » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:16 pm

Glad to hear from you and the rest.

So, which school you had chosen? How is the school work? Is it a lot?
I can't remember I read from which website, they said there were full of homework and projects. Is it true?

Anybody tried putting the 2nd child with the GEP Child in the same school?

TwaTau wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:Hi! I am new here.

My DD today just collected the big & thick yellow envelope back home. I was so happy for her. But, she refused to change school. In her class, there were total 5 students went in the GEP. So scary!

By the way, I am very blurred about this GEP. Would like to know what will the child benefit in this program. Would it be very stress for the child?

Would like to hear from the present or ex GEP child's parent opinion. Please advise.

:?

It is a good problem to have, and I had a similar situation 2 years ago as you. Did a lot of convincing and pat talk and only till the last day, he gave in. We ask him the other day whether he regret leaving his old school and join the GEP, and his reply was "ok lah, alot of hardwork, but his new bunch of friends are AWESOME."

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby comfy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:17 pm

My dd got selected and she real excited about it. :wink: Now I have headache, don't which school to send her. :? I am deciding between NYPS and RGPS. Anyone parents or kids studying in these schools, pls comment :please: especially on their teachers and workloads and cca.
TIA.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby thmejlfm » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:21 pm

At least, your girl is happy and excited about it. My girl not. She just refused to change.

I don't want to force her. And also because of my 2nd DD.

comfy wrote:My dd got selected and she real excited about it. :wink: Now I have headache, don't which school to send her. :? I am deciding between NYPS and RGPS. Anyone parents or kids studying in these schools, pls comment :please: especially on their teachers and workloads and cca.
TIA.

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby blur-daddy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:29 pm

mystuff_corner wrote:Hi parents,

My daughter was selected to GEP, but the problem is we will relocate next year, should I apply Letter of Absence from which school? current school or GEP school, hardly to get support form GEP school if I home school Spore syllabus overseas.

Any good advice there?

You can attend the talk first and decide which GEP school to go. Then you approach the school and enquire. You probably won't get any help about them sending you papers, worksheet for you to home-school...

In my son current class when they started 2010, suppose to be 20 and 1 is oversea, so 19 nia. I suppose they do reserve 1 space at the beginning, thinking the kid might come back... but now coming to year end, I think it is pointless to reserve the space.

Anyway, congratulation and do voice your situation during the talk. :D

blur-daddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby comfy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:32 pm

thmejlfm wrote:At least, your girl is happy and excited about it. My girl not. She just refused to change.

I don't want to force her. And also because of my 2nd DD.

comfy wrote:My dd got selected and she real excited about it. :wink: Now I have headache, don't which school to send her. :? I am deciding between NYPS and RGPS. Anyone parents or kids studying in these schools, pls comment :please: especially on their teachers and workloads and cca.
TIA.

Maybe you find out why she doesn't want to change. And do you want her to go to GEP?

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby TwaTau » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:34 pm

thmejlfm wrote:Glad to hear from you and the rest.

So, which school you had chosen? How is the school work? Is it a lot?
I can't remember I read from which website, they said there were full of homework and projects. Is it true?

Anybody tried putting the 2nd child with the GEP Child in the same school?

HPPS. The GE curriculum is common to all the GEP schools, the initial months get some use it, but the kids are resilent, so they will adjust accordingly. They get alot of homework, and don't expect it to be a breeze, there will be alot of tears and late nights, but the programme really stretch them and most of them should be able to adjust. Project is unique to GEP, and it is another aspect that they get to learn, to prepare information, substantiate, organize and present. It will lay the foundation for future research work, and this will give them the head start when they go on to secondary school.
I had a second child that was going on to P1 when my DS was selected for GEP, but decide to keep her in the current school due to the logistic issue with the distant of HPPS from my home. Do also consider on the transport matters, as the GEP student needs to stay back in school in the afternoon quite often.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mystuff_corner » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Hi blur-daddy,

Thank for your advice, I heard GEP is project based, how tough is GEP syllabus? Do you child managed well? Possible to buy GEP assessment book from market?

mystuff_corner
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge