35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby EQmum » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:00 am

ngbrdad,

You can find some similiar question in the P5/P6 Maths forum. All related to the number pattern to determine the formula of n + 1 or n(n+1).......... so on. They will be given past year paper to practice on and he will be bring back his Maths file home to revise. Last year, most of the chlidren in my son class score well for it. So no worry.

EQmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ngbrdad » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:53 am

EQmum wrote:ngbrdad,

You can find some similiar question in the P5/P6 Maths forum. All related to the number pattern to determine the formula of n + 1 or n(n+1).......... so on. They will be given past year paper to practice on and he will be bring back his Maths file home to revise. Last year, most of the chlidren in my son class score well for it. So no worry.

Are you talking about paper 2 ?
So those problem sums using model method is for paper ?
I'm a bit worried now cos the Math paper one in less than 2 weeks away and I'm not sure what sort of topics will the test cover.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EQmum » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:23 am

ngbrdad,

The school shld have given your son a exam timetable for you to acknowledge. If they indicate P2-investigation, then that the one I refer to earlier. Those question required model are for P1. You may used the 4A Maths text book content as a guide for the topics teach.

EQmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

to select school that has gep or not

Postby vlim » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:12 pm

currently my son is in p4 gep. This year my daughter is in p1 and she is in the old school of my boy which is a non-gep school but a good sap school. right now my husband and i are still deciding whether to transfer my girl to the same school as my p4 boy or not. Our concerns are firstly, we like her to be at the current school, secondly, I was wondering by transferring her to a gep school would she stand a better chance to get into gep. through some analysis i realise that the number of p3 students from a gep school get into p4 gep are much more compare to non-gep school. Can I have your view? :pray:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: to select school that has gep or not

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:39 pm

vlim wrote:... through some analysis i realise that the number of p3 students from a gep school get into p4 gep are much more compare to non-gep school. Can I have your view? :pray:

Part of the goal of some parents going for GEP schools from Primary 1 is to get their children into the GEP. It is not surprising that there are more kids in GEP schools getting into GEP than not. Some of these kids are drilled on a daily basis to prepare them for GEP since young.

The question is, do you think your son is really gifted and deserving of the GEP? If so, then you should transfer him early so that he gets used to that environment sooner than later. If not, then you should consider other factors such as the benefits of having your children together in the same school, and not because you think it will give you a better chance of getting your child into GEP.
Last edited by ChiefKiasu on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:38 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:If not, then you should consider other factors such as the benefits of having your children together in the same school, and not because you think it will give you a better chance of getting your child into GEP.

I agree with Chief on this. My kid is in a GEP school but that is not the motivation for putting her there. My kid is there because of my alumni status and that made the whole P1 registration less stressful for us but I did consider if it would be stressful for her to be in such a school. My conclusion eventually was if I were not bothered about the GEP part, it would be just like any school.

Postby Rosie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:31 pm

vlim wrote:through some analysis i realise that the number of p3 students from a gep school get into p4 gep are much more compare to non-gep school.

Not sure if this is the case. My daughter was from a non-GEP school and upon receiving the GEP acceptance letter last year I went for a briefing by MOE and principals of the 9 GEP schools. In order to assess my daughter's chance of getting into 2 of the schools I actually enquired the number of their own students who got into the programme as places are offered to their own 1st. My daughter's school didn't fare too badly as compared to the 2 GEP schools...15 against 17 and 18. Considering the small size of my daughter's school, percentage wise, I think her school fared much better than them.

Thus, GEP or NON-GEP may not make a great difference to the outcome? But I may be wrong because I'm only looking at 3 out of the many 100s of schools in S'pore.

Rosie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby vlim » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:31 am

ya. Same here. Last year when I attended the briefing I got to find out from 2 gep school the number of their own school students getting in to gep is about 18. My son school has 7 got in to GEP, he is one of them, and a few of the non-gep that I know of have lesser so that's why it prompt me to think that those high ability students of gep school get better chance to get into gep as they are drilled earlier... So at time I do feel that it is not so fare for those high ability students who studied in non gep school but not qualify to get in to gep. They might be able to get in to gep if they are in gep school..
Well anyway the above are just my queries and of course, I would not give my little girl unnecessary pleasure by drilling her so that she can get in to gep instead of by her own giftedness. As what one of the parent said, qualifying to enter to GEP is one thing, having to manage the gep works is another thing. :celebrate:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby karmeleon » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:26 pm

vlim wrote:through some analysis i realise that the number of p3 students from a gep school get into p4 gep are much more compare to non-gep school.

I've certainly not observed this in our boys' school altho' I know that one the GEP schools that has this occuring is ACS.

karmeleon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Don't be caught off-guard

Postby father_of_3 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:29 am

mathsparks wrote:Just want to caution parents how some schools decide which kids to register for Maths Olympiad.

For P6, major competitions are the ones conducted by RI and HCI. In my son's school, only students belonging to Maths/AMEC club are registered for the RI contest though the HCI one is open to the GEP/high ability kids.

We were pretty upset as this rule was not make known to us. So my son has missed the opportunity to try out the RI contest.

So, if your kids show ability to tackle Maths oly qns, make sure you find out early, else he'll be deprived of the opportunity to compete.

:cry:

Yes, I agree with this. During 1st Meet-the-Parents session in P4, I asked my son's Math teacher about Maths Oly. She mentioned only selected student will be allowed to join. No mention of AMEC. So, he missed out in P4 & P5. Luckily, in P6, he was in AMEC & preparing now for contest.

father_of_3
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres