10%

Total votes : 20

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:54 pm

well, didn't we all survived to tell others of our frantic moments? :D

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby thmejlfm » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:32 pm

But, I have a lot of worries. Too much! Haha...

Distance.
2nd child' s school n stress
My dd don't want to change. Will bring her to hear the talk.
If taking GEP, is that mean she has to stop her outside course? Such as piano. Since, there will be a lot of homework n longer hours in school.

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:37 pm

blur-daddy wrote:
vlim wrote:
TwaTau wrote:
vlim wrote:oh twatau ..u are scaring thelmejl...not so hori gible la.. :wink:

Must plan for the worst mah, different kids perform differently. Maybe DS not good at time management, end up with alot of tears and late nights for me as well. :cry:

I also very scared that my ds forgot to do his assignments..so always check and nag at him if he got any new assignment and if there is when is the date line :|

hahaha... same same... I kanan heart-attack when DS1 told me the night before that IRS was due tmr... I nearly fainted... he still pretty cool about it... :x Nearly skinned him alive.

:spank: :rotflmao:...we parents are having the same 'torture'..hahaaaaaa

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LE ANN » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:50 pm

Can anyone tell me when is the GEP briefing for parents and GEPers?

LE ANN
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jtoh » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:07 pm

thmejlfm wrote:But, I have a lot of worries. Too much! Haha...

Distance.
2nd child' s school n stress
My dd don't want to change. Will bring her to hear the talk.
If taking GEP, is that mean she has to stop her outside course? Such as piano. Since, there will be a lot of homework n longer hours in school.

You musn't give up outside activities for GEP. Definite no-no. We all need a balance in life and music, dance etc will provide that against the academic rigors of GEP.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby syshi » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:11 pm

To all GEP Veteran Parents, need clarification for the summary from my conversation from other parents after 1 yr of GEP (disclaimer: based on same class same school):
1. To survive in GEP need to go for external tuition, Learning Lab highly recommended even by the teacher. Else you won't be able to catch up as in school do not really guide them
2. Need to self learn at least up till P6 or Sec level material else you won't catch up.

Also for P5 projects, they're asked to choose between DI, IVP and IRS. But for DI, only limited to 7 children as was told that based on GE branch MOE direction that need to allocate more students for IRS. Understand from www.idodi.org website, actually there is no limit in no. Of team/participant..

Maybe can help to share and enlighten me?

Thanks..
Confused P4 GEP Parent

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:32 pm

syshi wrote:To all GEP Veteran Parents, need clarification for the summary from my conversation from other parents after 1 yr of GEP (disclaimer: based on same class same school):
1. To survive in GEP need to go for external tuition, Learning Lab highly recommended even by the teacher. Else you won't be able to catch up as in school do not really guide them
2. Need to self learn at least up till P6 or Sec level material else you won't catch up.

Also for P5 projects, they're asked to choose between DI, IVP and IRS. But for DI, only limited to 7 children as was told that based on GE branch MOE direction that need to allocate more students for IRS. Understand from www.idodi.org website, actually there is no limit in no. Of team/participant..

Thanks..
Confused P4 GEP Parent

In reply to your questions 1 & 2, the answer is NOT TRUE. In fact, the GEP teachers told them NOT to go to Learning Lab. The GEP teachers give a lot of notes and if you pay attention in class, take notes and brainstorm with your friends, you should do fine. If in doubt, seek out the teacher after class.

Not sure about DI, but it's probably a school decision because they may not have enough teachers to guide the students.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby TwaTau » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:48 pm

syshi wrote:To all GEP Veteran Parents, need clarification for the summary from my conversation from other parents after 1 yr of GEP (disclaimer: based on same class same school):

Thanks..
Confused P4 GEP Parent

Hey, good to hear from you again. I will try to answer your questions from my own perspective, however it maybe on the extreme end of bochapness:
1. My DS survived 2 years of GEP, and still not a single tuition on any subject. There is so much the school is providing and so much to do, I don't see how is he going to cope with the extra tuition without compromising on other aspect of life. We just treat the GEP as enrichment class provided from the best education center in Singapore, MOE. Some of my DS classmates does attend TLL, was wondering where they get all their time from?
2. There is definitely alot of self learning on the part of the child, and this also brought about the independence of the child, and I see it as a learning process for the child, to be resourceful. SS is about the standard for Secondary school, for the history and founding father of Singapore. And during the recent passing on of Goh Keng Swee, DS was able to relate while watching the memorial, his contributions. This is important to remind our children on our short history. And the maths, I guess from your pass year of "torture", it really stretch the child and I am sure you also learn from it as well.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cluelessmama » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:49 pm

trileets wrote:wah, after what has been shared here, am I "heng" or not "heng" to get in. Jokes aside, I'm very concerned about my son's well-being should he get in . You see, he's a happy-go-lucky boy who has not experienced what stress is do far..

He comes home, plays ,rest , does things he likes and sleeps early. No much homework given in the 3 years.

I'm kinda afraid he'll have alot of adjustments to make in GEP, as time management isn't exactly his strength. :pray:

How ah? But he's excited about getting in cos he heard classes "won't be so boring anymore"

my kid is a "blur blur kid". So, since blur-blur can survive GEP, why not happy-go-lucky kid? Go for it - u won't regret :wink:

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby trileets » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:30 pm

cluelessmama wrote:
trileets wrote:wah, after what has been shared here, am I "heng" or not "heng" to get in. Jokes aside, I'm very concerned about my son's well-being should he get in . You see, he's a happy-go-lucky boy who has not experienced what stress is do far..

He comes home, plays ,rest , does things he likes and sleeps early. No much homework given in the 3 years.

I'm kinda afraid he'll have alot of adjustments to make in GEP, as time management isn't exactly his strength. :pray:

How ah? But he's excited about getting in cos he heard classes "won't be so boring anymore"

my kid is a "blur blur kid". So, since blur-blur can survive GEP, why not happy-go-lucky kid? Go for it - u won't regret :wink:

Thanks for your reassuring advice. Now can breathe alittle easy : :D

trileets
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge