Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby Trapwithin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:59 pm

comfy wrote:My dd got selected and she real excited about it. :wink: Now I have headache, don't which school to send her. :? I am deciding between NYPS and RGPS. Anyone parents or kids studying in these schools, pls comment :please: especially on their teachers and workloads and cca.
TIA.

:congrats:

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cluelessmom » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:09 pm

jtoh wrote:
syshi wrote:
Thanks... The teacher actually mentioned that there are GEP teacher giving tuition outside with rate of SGD150~200 per hour.
Was being 'frighten' by the 'friendly advised' by teacher especially in P3 DS was getting best in level and subject but now outbid 5 subjects, only 2 above 80 and the other 3 not below 70.... Find that 'friendly advise' quite demoralizing...

You have to remember that the standard in GEP is a lot higher than mainstream. Your son's teachers would probably have told him and you that to score >80% is considered very good in GEP. Furthermore some of the brightest P4 students are in your son's class. Reassure him that it's alright not to top the class. If your son is consistently scoring below baseline in a certain subject then you may want to consider tuition for that subject to build up his foundation.

I also tend to agree that some of the brightest students are in your son's class for ur ds GEP teacher to conclude that to score >80 for 2 subjects and >70 for the other 3 are not considered good enough. Either that, or there's something :? about the teacher concern. In my dd's schools, the impression I get from the teachers are usu. encouraging and unless u r failing the subjects or displaying real problems with coping, they will discourage parents to give the kids extra tuition.

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Faun » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:24 pm

jtoh wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:But, I have a lot of worries. Too much! Haha...

Distance.
2nd child' s school n stress
My dd don't want to change. Will bring her to hear the talk.
If taking GEP, is that mean she has to stop her outside course? Such as piano. Since, there will be a lot of homework n longer hours in school.

You musn't give up outside activities for GEP. Definite no-no. We all need a balance in life and music, dance etc will provide that against the academic rigors of GEP.

Thmejlfm ,

I think you need not give up outside activities first. See how she cope with the GE prog then decide. It also depends on your expectation on her results.

My dd continues with all her outside activities. Doing very well. Try to join CCA, makes her life in school more meaningful. Kids remembers school for
CCA and recess time fun with friends.

Workload wise. GE's homework seem lesser then mainstream, at least for dd school. But the homework are tough.

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syshi » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:29 pm

vlim wrote:But isn't it the gep school responsibility to hold remedial or supplementary class for geppers that under perform? How can they just dump them to tuition centre. Not all family can afford their kids to branded tuition centre..
My ds school does hold such lessons for geppers who are pretty weak in some particular subjects .

Not what I saw... Only restrict to certain teacher.. That's why feel confused that if that is the approach, no need for class, just give them materials for them to work on by themselves...

Btw, what's your DS school?

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syshi » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:30 pm

jtoh wrote:
syshi wrote:
Thanks... The teacher actually mentioned that there are GEP teacher giving tuition outside with rate of SGD150~200 per hour.
Was being 'frighten' by the 'friendly advised' by teacher especially in P3 DS was getting best in level and subject but now outbid 5 subjects, only 2 above 80 and the other 3 not below 70.... Find that 'friendly advise' quite demoralizing...

You have to remember that the standard in GEP is a lot higher than mainstream. Your son's teachers would probably have told him and you that to score >80% is considered very good in GEP. Furthermore some of the brightest P4 students are in your son's class. Reassure him that it's alright not to top the class. If your son is consistently scoring below baseline in a certain subject then you may want to consider tuition for that subject to build up his foundation.

Was singing similar tunes to DS, problem is I myself become confuse by the 'friendly advise'

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syshi » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:33 pm

cluelessmom wrote:
jtoh wrote:
syshi wrote:

I also tend to agree that some of the brightest students are in your son's class for ur ds GEP teacher to conclude that to score >80 for 2 subjects and >70 for the other 3 are not considered good enough. Either that, or there's something :? about the teacher concern. In my dd's schools, the impression I get from the teachers are usu. encouraging and unless u r failing the subjects or displaying real problems with coping, they will discourage parents to give the kids extra tuition.

Heard the 'friendly advise' not only given to a few.. But eventhough got concern, the teachers should think of the ways internally first before 'advising' to go external tuition..

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby clover18 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:24 am

By the way, are GEPers required to stay back after school more often for extra project work, etc? or is it the usual 1 day per week of extended hour?

clover18
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby TREX8 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:57 am

clover18 wrote:By the way, are GEPers required to stay back after school more often for extra project work, etc? or is it the usual 1 day per week of extended hour?

My DD's in P5 GEP. Just to share about workload and staying back, though it might differ from school to school.
For P4 and P5, DD has to stay back once a week for either CL or HCL (until 3.30pm).
DD stays back on another day for CEP (Computer Enrichment Programme) and IRS (Individual Research Study) - both held on the same day (ends at 4pm). So she needs to stay back only two times a week on weekdays. Her CCA's on Saturday. As far as I know, her school doesn't conduct supplementary/remedial class.

With regards to workload, she could manage to do the worksheets, research, project work etc and still have time for reading and she goes to bed by around 9.30/10pm.

She attends Chinese and Math enrichment, as well as piano.

From my observation, DD's not any more busy as compared to her friends in mainstream - except that the work assigned is more challenging and less mundane.

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cluelessmama » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:10 am

TREX8 wrote:
clover18 wrote:By the way, are GEPers required to stay back after school more often for extra project work, etc? or is it the usual 1 day per week of extended hour?

My DD's in P5 GEP. Just to share about workload and staying back, though it might differ from school to school.
For P4 and P5, DD has to stay back once a week for either CL or HCL (until 3.30pm).
DD stays back on another day for CEP (Computer Enrichment Programme) and IRS (Individual Research Study) - both held on the same day (ends at 4pm). So she needs to stay back only two times a week on weekdays. Her CCA's on Saturday. As far as I know, her school doesn't conduct supplementary/remedial class.

With regards to workload, she could manage to do the worksheets, research, project work etc and still have time for reading and she goes to bed by around 9.30/10pm.

She attends Chinese and Math enrichment, as well as piano.

From my observation, DD's not any more busy as compared to her friends in mainstream - except that the work assigned is more challenging and less mundane.

Hi, out of curiosity - where does dd attend chinese and maths enrichment? thx

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ksme » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:48 am

Congratulations to all P3 kids who have been selected for the GEP program. It is an exciting and for some, a confusing and worrying time.

Here's the link to an article written by 1 GEP parent which helped several of us last year whether to proceed with the GEP or not. You may want to check it out:

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/conte ... gep-parent

For those wondering which GEP school to choose, you may want to check out this link which is for an article written by another GEP parent last year:

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/conte ... gep-school

From my family's experience, it has been a fruitful and interesting year. DS has thoroughly enjoyed his experience in GEP and while he jokingly says he likes the curriculum but not the homework, we can tell he has become better as an independent learner and time management. On our part as parents, we provide him with as much support as we can especially when he needs us to bring him to friends' house for projects or invite his friends to come over for projects or spend some money on resources for projects etc. It was worrying and unsettling at first for us (kid and parents) to get used to the level and pace of the program but it got better in term 2 and definitely term 3. We are all happy that the school year is coming to an end and we can take a well deserved break to recharge for another hectic and exciting year ahead.

I wish all the P3 kids and parents who will be going to GEP all the best and hope you will enjoy the experience as much as we have. So many other parents have written their thoughts as well so don't worry about not coping. The kids are resilient and things will fall in place in couple of months. Good luck!

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge