Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby TREX8 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:51 am

We are not consistent with regards to Chinese enrichment - especially since we have shifted home recently. She has attended lessons at Hua (United Square) and eduplus. We are exploring switching her over to Busy Bee.

For maths, she started with TLL at the beginning of this year.

cluelessmama wrote:Hi, out of curiosity - where does dd attend chinese and maths enrichment? thx

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ksme » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:56 am

syshi wrote:Heard the 'friendly advise' not only given to a few.. But eventhough got concern, the teachers should think of the ways internally first before 'advising' to go external tuition..

It is the first time I hear about GEP teachers giving advice to go external tuition. In my DS' school, right from the beginning of the school year, GEP HOD and teachers have told us during the briefing no need to go for tuition. The curriculum is sufficiently challenging and therefore, there should be no need for enrichment. Even after SA1 for kids who did not do that well in certain subjects, the advice is to read more and practice more. When we specifically asked if we should send our kids for tuition, the teachers still insisted there is no necessity. Remedial classes are conducted by the school teachers for the kids who fail certain subjects after Common test 1. These kids all seem to do very well in SA2. I don't know if they have gone for tuition. If you think that your kid has done ok, then no need to follow the "friendly advice" lah. :wink:

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby longreach » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:32 pm

My son did not get selected which was expected, the letter we received from MOE did not indicated the percentile on the P3 cohort.

Few years ago when my eldest son sat for the 2nd round screening, though he did not get selected, however, the letter did indicate he was within the top 10 percent of the cohort.

Just curious for those not selected, did the letter indicate the percentile?

longreach
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:41 pm

but aren't the no. of kids who went for 2nd rd abt 10% of the cohort? :?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby longreach » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:51 pm

Nebbermind wrote:but aren't the no. of kids who went for 2nd rd abt 10% of the cohort? :?

I wasnt sure that's why I am clarifying. :D

longreach
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syshi » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:35 pm

ksme wrote:
syshi wrote:Heard the 'friendly advise' not only given to a few.. But eventhough got concern, the teachers should think of the ways internally first before 'advising' to go external tuition..

It is the first time I hear about GEP teachers giving advice to go external tuition. In my DS' school, right from the beginning of the school year, GEP HOD and teachers have told us during the briefing no need to go for tuition. The curriculum is sufficiently challenging and therefore, there should be no need for enrichment. Even after SA1 for kids who did not do that well in certain subjects, the advice is to read more and practice more. When we specifically asked if we should send our kids for tuition, the teachers still insisted there is no necessity. Remedial classes are conducted by the school teachers for the kids who fail certain subjects after Common test 1. These kids all seem to do very well in SA2. I don't know if they have gone for tuition. If you think that your kid has done ok, then no need to follow the "friendly advice" lah. :wink:

Thanks for sharing... That's why I found the 'friendly advise' confusing and demoralizing...

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syshi » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:37 pm

Nebbermind wrote:but aren't the no. of kids who went for 2nd rd abt 10% of the cohort? :?

Pass 2nd round = 1% of P3 cohort..
2009 total P3 cohort around 55000, GEP 550

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syshi » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:50 pm

One thing I found disturbing and have tried highlighted (w/o success) is that whenever few of the students play truant/mischief/misbehave, instead of those being punished, ended the whole class being scolded. Started by scolded and standing for at least (at least!!!) half an hour...
During June holiday, need to come back as they were told cannot catch up materials...

Without weeding out the troublemaker, how to get the conducive learning environment... Since all get scolded, my DS which normally don't dare flout any rule, told me that he felt he wanted to play trick too...

My worried will be those kids that went for 'advance' outside 'lesson'. When the teacher taught them those subjects they knew, they will interrupt the lesson by insisting they've learn it. And based on the approach above ( instead of sending him out of class), the whole class ended up getting scolding and the subject nor taught.. That's some feedback I got from other classmate parents...

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby clover18 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:55 pm

TREX8 wrote:
clover18 wrote:By the way, are GEPers required to stay back after school more often for extra project work, etc? or is it the usual 1 day per week of extended hour?

My DD's in P5 GEP. Just to share about workload and staying back, though it might differ from school to school.
For P4 and P5, DD has to stay back once a week for either CL or HCL (until 3.30pm).
DD stays back on another day for CEP (Computer Enrichment Programme) and IRS (Individual Research Study) - both held on the same day (ends at 4pm). So she needs to stay back only two times a week on weekdays. Her CCA's on Saturday. As far as I know, her school doesn't conduct supplementary/remedial class.

With regards to workload, she could manage to do the worksheets, research, project work etc and still have time for reading and she goes to bed by around 9.30/10pm.

She attends Chinese and Math enrichment, as well as piano.

From my observation, DD's not any more busy as compared to her friends in mainstream - except that the work assigned is more challenging and less mundane.

Thanks for sharing TREX8. Looks like the kid will have to stay back after school for at least 3 days per week.

clover18
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby clover18 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:24 pm

By the way, anyone whose child is in Rosyth GEP program? Can you advise how the hours are like there and which are the days they usually have to stay back after school in P4 GEP? Trying to pre-empt logistics /transport issues :idea:

clover18
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge