Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Postby blur-daddy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:16 pm

Hey. Thanks for the new terminology... now we got DI, on top of FPSP, IvP, IRS. It sounded really interesting... just that my DS1 hated IRS. :cry:

blur-daddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:08 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby syshi » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:27 pm

blur-daddy wrote:Hey. Thanks for the new terminology... now we got DI, on top of FPSP, IvP, IRS. It sounded really interesting... just that my DS1 hated IRS. :cry:


DS school got no option for FPSP???

Jokes I heard on all the term
IRS = prepare them for government roles where before you implement anything you'll need to research, survey, etc., before you conclude...
IVP = prepare them for private sector where you research in improving industries, etc
DI = prepare them to be inventor, scientist, etc..

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:49 am
Total Likes: 1


Postby jtoh » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:09 pm

syshi wrote:
blur-daddy wrote:Hey. Thanks for the new terminology... now we got DI, on top of FPSP, IvP, IRS. It sounded really interesting... just that my DS1 hated IRS. :cry:


DS school got no option for FPSP???

Jokes I heard on all the term
IRS = prepare them for government roles where before you implement anything you'll need to research, survey, etc., before you conclude...
IVP = prepare them for private sector where you research in improving industries, etc
DI = prepare them to be inventor, scientist, etc..


Different schools have different options. Some schools have a lot more than the ones you mentioned.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11223
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 101


Postby TREX8 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:49 pm

clover18 wrote:Thanks for sharing TREX8. Looks like the kid will have to stay back after school for at least 3 days per week.


No problem, Clover18. Yes, DD stays back 3 times a week if you count Saturday for CCA. It is considered ok as for DD's school, the P5 mainstreamers stay back once a week for HCL, on two other days a week for supplementary and one other day for CCA. Some of these students are also selected to join the GEP for IvP and that means another day. That explains, partly, my observation that the workload for P5 mainstream is heavier than P5 GEP.

With regards to the post on whether students who attend TLL do well for exams, I think it depends on the student's strength.

DD's good in English and Science and she does not have any extra lessons on these 2 subjects. For English, she usually is amongst the top 3 (her other 2 'competitors', one attends TLL while the other does not). For Science, DD usually 'loose' to the top boy in Science (who goes to TLL for Science enrichment) by about 3 marks. So I always joke that I am willing to forgo the 3 marks as it converts to money saving for me and time saving for both of DD and me :D

DD goes to TLL for math as she has difficulty keeping up with the pace of GEP Math and we could not find relevant questions for her to practice. TLL worksheets solve the material problem. Despite going to TLL since beginning of this year and faithfully completing her school and TLL worksheets to the best of her ability, she is still below her class average. There is improvement in her score and her confidence level, but I think her 'potential' for Math is about there and TLL can only do that much.

So, in a nutshell, TLL might offer enrichment that complements the GEP curriculum but it still depends on how 'stretchable' is the student.

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:54 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby cluelessmama » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:04 pm

TREX8 wrote:We are not consistent with regards to Chinese enrichment - especially since we have shifted home recently. She has attended lessons at Hua (United Square) and eduplus. We are exploring switching her over to Busy Bee.

For maths, she started with TLL at the beginning of this year.

cluelessmama wrote:Hi, out of curiosity - where does dd attend chinese and maths enrichment? thx


Thanks for the info coz thinking of choosing enrichment ctr for chinese. :)

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:05 am
Total Likes: 1



Postby fruitplus » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:14 pm

ksme wrote:
syshi wrote:Heard the 'friendly advise' not only given to a few.. But eventhough got concern, the teachers should think of the ways internally first before 'advising' to go external tuition..


It is the first time I hear about GEP teachers giving advice to go external tuition. In my DS' school, right from the beginning of the school year, GEP HOD and teachers have told us during the briefing no need to go for tuition. The curriculum is sufficiently challenging and therefore, there should be no need for enrichment. Even after SA1 for kids who did not do that well in certain subjects, the advice is to read more and practice more. When we specifically asked if we should send our kids for tuition, the teachers still insisted there is no necessity. Remedial classes are conducted by the school teachers for the kids who fail certain subjects after Common test 1. These kids all seem to do very well in SA2. I don't know if they have gone for tuition. If you think that your kid has done ok, then no need to follow the "friendly advice" lah. :wink:


That's right! When my son first started his GE class, the GE teachers said that it is not necessary to go for external tuition. Remedial class is arranged for them if there are really weak in a particular subject.

DS only attend Higher Chinese tuition (the syllabus are the same as mainstream, in fact, they attend HCL class together with mainstream).

DS actually told me one of his GE teacher said that Learning Lab tuition is not necessary.

Most kids selected for the GE class can cope with the work after sometime, they just need to time to get use to the different style of teaching and learning. Only 1 out of 44 from my son's school dropped off the GE class after P4, the kid still joined the P5 best class.

Oh, from my experience, it is a good idea to let your kids prepare for the social studies (SS) subject in GEP P4, just get some Sec 1 History assessment books (We used the CASCO SS assessment book). The questions asked in the SS exams and the answers expected are much easier than Sec 1, but the topics are similiar.

In P4, my son found SS to be the most difficult subject. He didn't do very well for SS in 1st half year (around 60 or 61), but he gradually improved. He got a Distinction for SS in P6 SA2.

So GEP newbie parents, don't worry too much. If your kid is selected, he/she can do it with your support and encouragement.

fruitplus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 5:01 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby thmejlfm » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:23 pm

Hi, after reading all the forum regarding GEP, still quite worried. Last night, tried to talk to my dd. She cried n cried non-stop. She kept on saying that if she knew had to change school, she will not agreed to take the test. And we also promised her that we will not changed the school. But, now.??

Saw her cried, i was so heart pain. Last night, i can't sleep.

Afraid after changed school, she can't cope. She will start blaming on us. Before that she kept on saying she can look after her sis next year. Now, if change, she can't. I know all these are minor problem. But, can see that she so sad n disappointed. Becos we broke the promise.

Really thought of letting her stay at the present school. I am sure sure kana scold by a lot of people. Got this chance n still don't want to take.

I am also worried that if my dd take the GEP, she has to stop her kumon, ballet n piano. She after getting her sa2 result, she told me that she would like to take out the science tution class.

Today, she looked so sad. Really don't feel good. My dh said let her decide after this sat briefing.

Just wondering, is there any parent regretted after letting your child go for gep?

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:49 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby jtoh » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:40 pm

thmejlfm wrote:Hi, after reading all the forum regarding GEP, still quite worried. Last night, tried to talk to my dd. She cried n cried non-stop. She kept on saying that if she knew had to change school, she will not agreed to take the test. And we also promised her that we will not changed the school. But, now.??

Saw her cried, i was so heart pain. Last night, i can't sleep.

Afraid after changed school, she can't cope. She will start blaming on us. Before that she kept on saying she can look after her sis next year. Now, if change, she can't. I know all these are minor problem. But, can see that she so sad n disappointed. Becos we broke the promise.

Really thought of letting her stay at the present school. I am sure sure kana scold by a lot of people. Got this chance n still don't want to take.

I am also worried that if my dd take the GEP, she has to stop her kumon, ballet n piano. She after getting her sa2 result, she told me that she would like to take out the science tution class.

Today, she looked so sad. Really don't feel good. My dh said let her decide after this sat briefing.

Just wondering, is there any parent regretted after letting your child go for gep?


My advice is don't force your dd to go if she's not keen. As a parent you don't want your child to be miserable do you? A child should enter GEP with a positive mindset. That way even if the workload is very challenging, she'll be able to tackle it well. But going in reluctantly with the prospect of dropping music, ballet, leaving her friends is just going to bring her down emotionally.

The other issue also is that you're breaking your promise to her of not forcing her to leave her school. Trust is very important between parent and child.

Why don't you leave the decision to her. Take her to the GEP briefing. Ask her to listen with an open mind. Ask her to clarify any doubts with you. Tell her why you think GEP is good. Then leave the final decision to her. If she decides to stay in her current school so be it. She can still excel there.

Every year, there will be a couple of kids who drop out of GEP after a term or a year because they're not happy in GEP or they can't cope with the programme. Did they regret opting for GEP? I'm sure they did, otherwise they wouldn't have opted to go back to mainstream.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11223
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 101


Postby syshi » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:47 pm

Take note that GEP form need to be signed by the child themselves. Parents are not supposed to sign on their behalf.

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:49 am
Total Likes: 1


Postby thmejlfm » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:09 am

Glad to hear from you.

I am also worried that if she changed with her unhappiness. She might refuse to study. That will be worse.

Sign. But, my dh may think differently. He will say ballet n piano not impt.

Oh .... no headache! I have dd2 to consider also, change or not change, next yr pr1.

jtoh wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:Hi, after reading all the forum regarding GEP, still quite worried. Last night, tried to talk to my dd. She cried n cried non-stop. She kept on saying that if she knew had to change school, she will not agreed to take the test. And we also promised her that we will not changed the school. But, now.??

Saw her cried, i was so heart pain. Last night, i can't sleep.

Afraid after changed school, she can't cope. She will start blaming on us. Before that she kept on saying she can look after her sis next year. Now, if change, she can't. I know all these are minor problem. But, can see that she so sad n disappointed. Becos we broke the promise.

Really thought of letting her stay at the present school. I am sure sure kana scold by a lot of people. Got this chance n still don't want to take.

I am also worried that if my dd take the GEP, she has to stop her kumon, ballet n piano. She after getting her sa2 result, she told me that she would like to take out the science tution class.

Today, she looked so sad. Really don't feel good. My dh said let her decide after this sat briefing.

Just wondering, is there any parent regretted after letting your child go for gep?


My advice is don't force your dd to go if she's not keen. As a parent you don't want your child to be miserable do you? A child should enter GEP with a positive mindset. That way even if the workload is very challenging, she'll be able to tackle it well. But going in reluctantly with the prospect of dropping music, ballet, leaving her friends is just going to bring her down emotionally.

The other issue also is that you're breaking your promise to her of not forcing her to leave her school. Trust is very important between parent and child.

Why don't you leave the decision to her. Take her to the GEP briefing. Ask her to listen with an open mind. Ask her to clarify any doubts with you. Tell her why you think GEP is good. Then leave the final decision to her. If she decides to stay in her current school so be it. She can still excel there.

Every year, there will be a couple of kids who drop out of GEP after a term or a year because they're not happy in GEP or they can't cope with the programme. Did they regret opting for GEP? I'm sure they did, otherwise they wouldn't have opted to go back to mainstream.
:?

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:49 pm
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres