35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby taz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:37 am

jtoh wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:Saw her cried, i was so heart pain.
Just wondering, is there any parent regretted after letting your child go for gep?

Why don't you leave the decision to her. Take her to the GEP briefing. Ask her to listen with an open mind. Ask her to clarify any doubts with you. Tell her why you think GEP is good. Then leave the final decision to her. If she decides to stay in her current school so be it. She can still excel there.

Every year, there will be a couple of kids who drop out of GEP after a term or a year because they're not happy in GEP or they can't cope .

I am not GEP parent but I heard from my friend whose son is in GEP, yes, u can drop out of GEP at end of P4.
I also know of people who did not go to GEP though selected.

Also felt that your girl should go to GEP briefing... Go n hear more abt GEP
Think abt it... Then decide on final decision n don't think abt the other option or what's ifs anymore...

taz
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Faun » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:13 am

syshi,

Thanks for DI website. It was very useful. DD very keen and had signed up for audition, apparently quite a number were keen. DI looks interesting to me too. Heard they have to complete project by Apr, I think the appraisal is in May, according to the website. Is the one done here by the GE branch has any affiliation with the one in the DI website.

Any P5 parent here have kids done DI, please share the experience.

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cluelessmama » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:22 am

thmejlfm wrote:Hi, after reading all the forum regarding GEP, still quite worried. Last night, tried to talk to my dd. She cried n cried non-stop. She kept on saying that if she knew had to change school, she will not agreed to take the test. And we also promised her that we will not changed the school. But, now.??

Saw her cried, i was so heart pain. Last night, i can't sleep.

Afraid after changed school, she can't cope. She will start blaming on us. Before that she kept on saying she can look after her sis next year. Now, if change, she can't. I know all these are minor problem. But, can see that she so sad n disappointed. Becos we broke the promise.

Really thought of letting her stay at the present school. I am sure sure kana scold by a lot of people. Got this chance n still don't want to take.

I am also worried that if my dd take the GEP, she has to stop her kumon, ballet n piano. She after getting her sa2 result, she told me that she would like to take out the science tution class.

Today, she looked so sad. Really don't feel good. My dh said let her decide after this sat briefing.

Just wondering, is there any parent regretted after letting your child go for gep?

Last year, I have to convince both my kid and dh that kid should try out the GEP till the very last moment. Kid shed buckets after buckets of tears. :( The main reason for kid's resistance was that she wanted to remain in the same school with her friends. However, she was intrigued by the programme after the briefing.

Before the submission, we went to talk with her principal to get the reassurance that they would take her back if she was to quit GEP. We also talked to her form teacher whom later talk to my kid about why it was beneficial for her to join GEP. Also, we promised kid that we would take back to her old schools regularly to meet up with her friends. (Till now, she still go back regularly.)

Looking at how well she has adapted to GEP, I'm glad that I have listened to the advice of parents from this forum and that I have persisted in my persuasion. I asked kid the other day if she still want to return to the mainstream - she said:" No way, I like the GEP." :lol:

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby croydon » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:13 am

I am a newbie. And obviously started reading this forum after DD received the yellow envelop today :)

Can someone advise if there is any good before/after school care near HPPS/NHPS/RGPS? I am full time working mum so still need to put dd somewhere after the curriculum time, and her current school care's tuition program will not fit after she join GEP, so...

Also, may i confirm the school hours for these 2 schools. HPPS is 7.15-1.30pm for P4-P6; NHPS is 7.30-1.30pm for P4-P6, not sure about RGPS?

thanks alot for any advices.

croydon
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby MotherHen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:20 am

croydon wrote:I am a newbie. And obviously started reading this forum after DD received the yellow envelop today :)

Can someone advise if there is any good before/after school care near HPPS/NHPS/RGPS? I am full time working mum so still need to put dd somewhere after the curriculum time, and her current school care's tuition program will not fit after she join GEP, so...

Also, may i confirm the school hours for these 2 schools. HPPS is 7.15-1.30pm for P4-P6; NHPS is 7.30-1.30pm for P4-P6, not sure about RGPS?

This year P4 @ RGPS:
Mon & Wed: 7.20pm - 1.30pm
Tue, Thur & Fri: 7.20pm - 1pm
Will need to stay back 3 days: 1 day each for HCL, CEP & CCA.

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby allamanda » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:44 am

MotherHen wrote:
croydon wrote:I am a newbie. And obviously started reading this forum after DD received the yellow envelop today :)

This year P4 @ RGPS:

may i know what is CEP?
allamanda
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MotherHen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:56 am

thmejlfm wrote:Glad to hear from you.

I am also worried that if she changed with her unhappiness. She might refuse to study. That will be worse.

Sign. But, my dh may think differently. He will say ballet n piano not impt.

Oh .... no headache! I have dd2 to consider also, change or not change, next yr pr1.

jtoh wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:Hi, after reading all the forum regarding GEP, still quite worried. Last night, tried to talk to my dd. She cried n cried non-stop. She kept on saying that if she knew had to change school, she will not agreed to take the test. And we also promised her that we will not changed the school. But, now.??

Saw her cried, i was so heart pain. Last night, i can't sleep.

Afraid after changed school, she can't cope. She will start blaming on us. Before that she kept on saying she can look after her sis next year. Now, if change, she can't. I know all these are minor problem. But, can see that she so sad n disappointed. Becos we broke the promise.

Really thought of letting her stay at the present school. I am sure sure kana scold by a lot of people. Got this chance n still don't want to take.

I am also worried that if my dd take the GEP, she has to stop her kumon, ballet n piano. She after getting her sa2 result, she told me that she would like to take out the science tution class.

Today, she looked so sad. Really don't feel good. My dh said let her decide after this sat briefing.

My advice is don't force your dd to go if she's not keen. As a parent you don't want your child to be miserable do you? A child should enter GEP with a positive mindset. That way even if the workload is very challenging, she'll be able to tackle it well. But going in reluctantly with the prospect of dropping music, ballet, leaving her friends is just going to bring her down emotionally.

The other issue also is that you're breaking your promise to her of not forcing her to leave her school. Trust is very important between parent and child.

Why don't you leave the decision to her. Take her to the GEP briefing. Ask her to listen with an open mind. Ask her to clarify any doubts with you. Tell her why you think GEP is good. Then leave the final decision to her. If she decides to stay in her current school so be it. She can still excel there.

Every year, there will be a couple of kids who drop out of GEP after a term or a year because they're not happy in GEP or they can't cope with the programme. Did they regret opting for GEP? I'm sure they did, otherwise they wouldn't have opted to go back to mainstream.
:?

I agree. Leave the decision to your girl and support her, no matter what is the final decision. To thrive in the program, it is important that she is happy. The curriculum can be challenging and to go in with resentment, it does not bode well and she will be miserable for the next three years.

As for ballet and piano, it is not a given that she must drop either or both. My DD takes both ballet and piano as well. To be honest, I tried to get her to give them up. But she said they are her form of relaxation. How can I argue with that? Again talk to your DD and respect her decision.

As for DD2, I had the same problem as you after DD1 decided to take up the offer. I decided not to change school for DD2 (now in P2) as her current school is affiliated to a good secondary section, which DD1's new school is not. It is a logistic nightmare. But do weigh the pros and cons, and talk to DD2, especially if she is very close to DD1. If you do decide to change schools, it should be no prob at all cos I know of siblings who switched schools.

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MotherHen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:58 am

allamanda wrote:
MotherHen wrote:

This year P4 @ RGPS:

may i know what is CEP?

Computer Enrichment Programme

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby syshi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:41 am

Faun wrote:syshi,

Thanks for DI website. It was very useful. DD very keen and had signed up for audition, apparently quite a number were keen. DI looks interesting to me too. Heard they have to complete project by Apr, I think the appraisal is in May, according to the website. Is the one done here by the GE branch has any affiliation with the one in the DI website.

Any P5 parent here have kids done DI, please share the experience.

Understand that those teams made it to the next stage will have to compete in US. By that time will need to cough up SGD3000 (airfare?,expenses?,etc)
All DI will still refer back to US DI and whoever participated will be 'DI Alumni' and they'll have more opportunity as 'DI Alumny'

Anyway what I like is the challenge they have to solve... Too bad DS not selected

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby comfy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:19 am

Hi thmejlfm,
I can empathize with you as I am in the same boat as you. Being a girl, dd does has her doubt and concern. She has strong feeling with their friends (she calls them her club buddies). She, too, says that she is also very sad to leave her friends. I advise her to think positively, still can keep intouch thru email, holidays, phone-chatting, birthday party etc. Singapore is so small, can visit each other. Any of her classmates selected for GEP?
If yes, then can comfort her with that and able to see them in the briefing session. She will not be alone. Like someone mentioned earlier, don't think too much, just go to the briefing with a open heart as for me, I tell dd is that God has blessed her with this, so go and take a look and decide. Me, too, have not have an easy sleep and having being asking around more on whether the subjects will be too tough for her. So far, the comment/suggestion is : Just give it a try. And I am very much comforted by cluelessmom's post/reply. :celebrate: together!

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP