Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby thmejlfm » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:14 pm

I read from some forum. They mentioned that for GEP, they didn't really concentrate on the mainstream subjects. That's why for the GEP student, they don't really get high score for their PSLE.

Is it true?

blur-daddy wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:I want to know whether this GEP will help her in the future or not. I don't want after 3 stressful years, and secondary school they cancel this program.

Hi thmejlfm, it will help in term of her learning and skill-set pick up e.g. how to go about doing research etc... and topics are deeper and expose to more other challenging programs. This will stretch the kid further in their learning.

As for posting to sec school, they do take GEP kid into consideration in their selection... e.g. RI criteria already ask whether the kid is in GEP? But that doesn't means he/she can relax on PSLE, still must work hard hor. Just GEP looks good in their portfolio when submit for DSA. Depend on which secondary school, the kid can continue SBGE or IP etc. program...

Ultimately, I don't think it is a waste... the exposure for 3 years in upper primary will benefit the kid already.

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:27 pm

thmejlfm wrote:But, my DD2 is next year Pr 1. The GEP School sure full for the Pr 1. How to transfer?

blur-daddy wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:I remember last yr someone said that certain schools do entertain the transfer of siblings to GEP school. It's one qn u can raise with the favoured school during the briefing

Hi. I asked the question about sibling transfer last year when I transfered DS1 over, and the response is that IT SHOULD BE OK... as space should be ok for P2 and P3 i.e. they have some leeway to squeeze... as compared to P1 whereby folks go via balloting etc.

I decided to hold back DS2 transfer last year as both school P2 still in afternoon session... and I bear with the logistic nightmare. For this year, when I asked, the school told me to fill up the form, and submit the DS2 results and any 'special' skill he has... ya... his special skill is happy-go-lucky and forgetfulness. Good in xbox360 games and got a good and kind nature... Will see how the school response then. :P

So, if u don't do it together with the one going to GEP as a whole package transfer, be prepared it is not guarentee for subsequent year hor.

Once u confirm which schools your dd would choose, talk to GEP HOD or the principal about transferring your younger dd there. Shouldn't be a problem. There are many past cases like yours.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:30 pm

How high is 'high'?

think altho they r the so-called top 1% of their cohort, their T-score generally falls within the top 10% range. At least I was told that getting 250 is usually not a problem.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:33 pm

just get to know a particular primary schools students get to know what is the marks they get for the screening test...Very strange not that I know that the marks will be make known to them :? ..anyone can verify here?

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fruitplus » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:46 pm

[quote="thmejlfm"]I read from some forum. They mentioned that for GEP, they didn't really concentrate on the mainstream subjects. That's why for the GEP student, they don't really get high score for their PSLE.

Is it true?
~~~~~

Hi, I've pm you.

fruitplus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby fruitplus » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:00 pm

thmejlfm wrote:But, my DD2 is next year Pr 1. The GEP School sure full for the Pr 1. How to transfer?

Hi, thmejlfm,

Please talk to the principal of the school of your choice. For my son's case, the principal promised that is not a problem at all during the GEP briefing.

fruitplus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kidspower » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:01 pm

Can anyone pls tell me what time and venue for the briefing for GEP this Saturday ? Heard it is at NUS High.

kidspower
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby clover18 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:03 pm

I have the same concern as you...Dd also takes ballet and piano and she does not want to give up either. In fact, she also has other classes (math/chinese) which she enjoys going (more than going to school!), more so because she has made friends with the kids at the enrichment classes as well. They sometimes chat over the phone, etc. I have heard that GEP is demanding and the child need to spend a lot of time doing projects and homework. On top of that they have to stay back after school abt 3 days a week in P4. I'm not sure if dd can cope with the 'new demands' of school, more challenging workload and still continue her classes outside. sigh.....dilemma

thmejlfm wrote:Does your girll take any other lesson outside, such as piano, ballet?
How many days a week that she had to stay back late in school? Did she take any CCA?

I am lazy to refer back to the forum, may I know which school your girl go? I am just afraid that my DD will be very tired.

Rosyth and Tao Nan which one is better? Sorry, I have to ask this kind of question. Really, really very tired or should say 'stress'.

cluelessmama wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:Hi, after reading all the forum regarding GEP, still quite worried. Last night, tried to talk to my dd. She cried n cried non-stop. She kept on saying that if she knew had to change school, she will not agreed to take the test. And we also promised her that we will not changed the school. But, now.??

Saw her cried, i was so heart pain. Last night, i can't sleep.

Afraid after changed school, she can't cope. She will start blaming on us. Before that she kept on saying she can look after her sis next year. Now, if change, she can't. I know all these are minor problem. But, can see that she so sad n disappointed. Becos we broke the promise.

Really thought of letting her stay at the present school. I am sure sure kana scold by a lot of people. Got this chance n still don't want to take.

I am also worried that if my dd take the GEP, she has to stop her kumon, ballet n piano. She after getting her sa2 result, she told me that she would like to take out the science tution class.

Today, she looked so sad. Really don't feel good. My dh said let her decide after this sat briefing.

Just wondering, is there any parent regretted after letting your child go for gep?

Last year, I have to convince both my kid and dh that kid should try out the GEP till the very last moment. Kid shed buckets after buckets of tears. :( The main reason for kid's resistance was that she wanted to remain in the same school with her friends. However, she was intrigued by the programme after the briefing.

Before the submission, we went to talk with her principal to get the reassurance that they would take her back if she was to quit GEP. We also talked to her form teacher whom later talk to my kid about why it was beneficial for her to join GEP. Also, we promised kid that we would take back to her old schools regularly to meet up with her friends. (Till now, she still go back regularly.)

Looking at how well she has adapted to GEP, I'm glad that I have listened to the advice of parents from this forum and that I have persisted in my persuasion. I asked kid the other day if she still want to return to the mainstream - she said:" No way, I like the GEP." :lol:

clover18
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby clover18 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:07 pm

thats the same view I have as well...I believe the GE kids generally dont do as well as they're not rigorously trained in psle topics like mainstream kids. having said that, GE has advantage of DSA, so maybe psle score relatively less critical?

fruitplus wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:I read from some forum. They mentioned that for GEP, they didn't really concentrate on the mainstream subjects. That's why for the GEP student, they don't really get high score for their PSLE.

Is it true?
~~~~~

Hi, I've pm you.

clover18
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Faun » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:15 pm

allamanda wrote:
MotherHen wrote:
croydon wrote:I am a newbie. And obviously started reading this forum after DD received the yellow envelop today :)

Can someone advise if there is any good before/after school care near HPPS/NHPS/RGPS? I am full time working mum so still need to put dd somewhere after the curriculum time, and her current school care's tuition program will not fit after she join GEP, so...

Also, may i confirm the school hours for these 2 schools. HPPS is 7.15-1.30pm for P4-P6; NHPS is 7.30-1.30pm for P4-P6, not sure about RGPS?

thanks alot for any advices.

This year P4 @ RGPS:
Mon & Wed: 7.20pm - 1.30pm
Tue, Thur & Fri: 7.20pm - 1pm
Will need to stay back 3 days: 1 day each for HCL, CEP & CCA.

may i know what is CEP?

I think it's some computer learning program. my dd didn't go for it because of other school commitments.

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres