55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby comfy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:38 pm

ksme wrote:
comfy wrote:
ksme wrote:How was the briefing today?

Are you asking me? What do you mean? Are you there?

Just a general question to all p3 gep parents. Was the talk helpful n have you decided on the school?

Yes, I find the talk quite informative and I especially enjoy the Q&A session. But it ends quite abruptly due to time constraints. Which is a pity :roll: There we have all the school reps from the 9 GEP schools and don't have time to answer all the queries.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby comfy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:17 pm

Hi thmejlfm, have your dd decide to go for GEP after the briefing?

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Michecplow » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:30 pm

Zann wrote:
Michecplow wrote:i m new to this forum, as well as GEP ...
may i find out more about the DSA?
we stay in CCK, and the nearest school r Nanyang and Nanhua, but Nanyang seems popular choice.... which factors will help us to get in NY ?

Move nearer to NY. :lol:

tks for the suggestion. Moving house can b an option .but current school would be better choice for our younger daughter . Less stress I suppose

Michecplow
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby thmejlfm » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:45 pm

comfy wrote:Hi thmejlfm, have your dd decide to go for GEP after the briefing?

Yes, after all aunties n grandaunties' s talk and the briefing, she is now agreed to change the school. But, can't make up the mind to choose tns or shs? How about yours?

Any present gep student in Tao Nan? Would like to know how is the teachers there? Do they encourage your child to take tuition outside?

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby blur-daddy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:11 am

Hi Michecplow,

I think that is meant as a joke... you can't possible move house just to get to the GEP school of your choice in such short time... there is other ways e.g. like attach a letter as to why die die must be that school and not one nearer??? :wink:

Michecplow wrote:tks for the suggestion. Moving house can b an option .but current school would be better choice for our younger daughter . Less stress I suppose

blur-daddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby comfy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:29 am

thmejlfm wrote:

Yes, after all aunties n grandaunties' s talk and the briefing, she is now agreed to change the school. But, can't make up the mind to choose tns or shs? How about yours?

Any present gep student in Tao Nan? Would like to know how is the teachers there? Do they encourage your child to take tuition outside?

Glad to hear that, my dd is really to 'cheong' keep asking me which school she is going. Told her will let her know by 1 Dec.I have put in RGPS,NYPS HP, NHPS. Which sch is nearer for you TNS or SHS? Does your dd like chinese culture env (SAP) or a christian env? These two schools (env) are quite different. Does she like chinese? If yes, TNS offers BICEP. Did you go to these two booths and collect info, if yes, discuss with your dd, it will get her excited. :idea:

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby thmejlfm » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:17 am

We did go to the booth to talk to the student there. They are really very good. See the way they talked, so confident! Very impressed.

My DD is from Chinese Culture env. And her present school, just gave her the Bicep test last week. But, Tao Nan said if want to take the Bicep, have to take the test again. The teacher said is different.
My DD wants Tao Nan and said that she will not give up. hahaa........ Don't know why become so serious.

I had talked to a few present GEP parent, some of them said TNS the teachers kept asking the student to have tution outside. Not so good.

But, SHPS, no. They encourage the student no tution.

So, which one is true?

Have you submitted the form? Me not yet. should be today.
fax over.

comfy wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:

Glad to hear that, my dd is really to 'cheong' keep asking me which school she is going. Told her will let her know by 1 Dec.I have put in RGPS,NYPS HP, NHPS. Which sch is nearer for you TNS or SHS? Does your dd like chinese culture env (SAP) or a christian env? These two schools (env) are quite different. Does she like chinese? If yes, TNS offers BICEP. Did you go to these two booths and collect info, if yes, discuss with your dd, it will get her excited. :idea:

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby comfy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:39 am

thmejlfm wrote:We did go to the booth to talk to the student there. They are really very good. See the way they talked, so confident! Very impressed.

My DD is from Chinese Culture env. And her present school, just gave her the Bicep test last week. But, Tao Nan said if want to take the Bicep, have to take the test again. The teacher said is different.
My DD wants Tao Nan and said that she will not give up. hahaa........ Don't know why become so serious.

I had talked to a few present GEP parent, some of them said TNS the teachers kept asking the student to have tution outside. Not so good.

So, which one is true?

fax over.

You mean you talk to GEP parents whose children are studying in TNS and they said that. Not good indeed. Perhaps that show they are very competitive and I thought GEP learning is more towards process learning rather than academic goal acheivement type (like PSLE). You must let dd know about this. If she is confident that she can do it, then can consider. Like I say, children once make up their mind, they would be serious about it (in your DD's determination in wanting to go to TNS).
For me, I have already submit my form on the briefing day. KS, you know. Actually don't want to think about it anymore, take a break!
You can go to the TNS's thread here, can ask GEP parents whether this is true. Not much time, deadline is tomorrow.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby JLZY » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:43 am

pokemon wrote:
comfy wrote:
pokemon wrote:
comfy wrote:
EY2001 wrote:For Maths and GA only lah - IQ maths, Olympiad Maths, GA mainy on picture pattern.

For me, very "naive", only realise that there are quite a few GA books than can be found in the Popular bookself. Too late by then dd has already sit for the paper. :oops:

comfy,

Hi Comfy.
I went to 2 Popular bookshop and couldn't find any books with GA on it. Could you let me know which outlet has that and how does it looks like?

JLZY
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ksme » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:54 am

thmejlfm wrote:We did go to the booth to talk to the student there. They are really very good. See the way they talked, so confident! Very impressed.

So, which one is true?

fax over.

Hi, it is not true that the TNS teacher ask students to have external tuition. Right from beginning of this year, parents are told not to send kids for tuition except maybe Chinese if we do not come from Chinese speaking environment since the Chinese in TNS is HCL and everyone takes HCL. This is to provide more exposure to the kids to practise their Chinese outside school.

I heard from other parents whose kids fail or did not do well in the first Common test that teachers just ask to practise more and read more. They do not encourage tuition. For these weaker students, they conduct remedial classes after school to help them catch up. Having said this, my child has mentioned that many of his classmates have tuition, some for all subjects. I think it is more driven by parents than the school. When I ask if I should send my son for tuition, the teachers strongly discouraged.

I have been very pleased with my kid's teachers. They know how to engage the kids in class and work very hard to help them, especially his Chinese teacher. They are also very encouraging and responsive.

Hope this helps

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge