35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby thmejlfm » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi, ksme

Is your son now in TNS? Which level now? Seem like no many GEP Student go to TNS.

I had checked the last year GEP forum, no parent from TNS.

No, I talked to a parent whose kid in SHPS.

My DD only worried that there will be too many homework that she don't have the time to read and watch TV. hahaa............

ksme wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:We did go to the booth to talk to the student there. They are really very good. See the way they talked, so confident! Very impressed.

My DD is from Chinese Culture env. And her present school, just gave her the Bicep test last week. But, Tao Nan said if want to take the Bicep, have to take the test again. The teacher said is different.
My DD wants Tao Nan and said that she will not give up. hahaa........ Don't know why become so serious.

I had talked to a few present GEP parent, some of them said TNS the teachers kept asking the student to have tution outside. Not so good.

But, SHPS, no. They encourage the student no tution.

So, which one is true?

Have you submitted the form? Me not yet. should be today.
fax over.

Hi, it is not true that the TNS teacher ask students to have external tuition. Right from beginning of this year, parents are told not to send kids for tuition except maybe Chinese if we do not come from Chinese speaking environment since the Chinese in TNS is HCL and everyone takes HCL. This is to provide more exposure to the kids to practise their Chinese outside school.

I heard from other parents whose kids fail or did not do well in the first Common test that teachers just ask to practise more and read more. They do not encourage tuition. For these weaker students, they conduct remedial classes after school to help them catch up. Having said this, my child has mentioned that many of his classmates have tuition, some for all subjects. I think it is more driven by parents than the school. When I ask if I should send my son for tuition, the teachers strongly discouraged.

I have been very pleased with my kid's teachers. They know how to engage the kids in class and work very hard to help them, especially his Chinese teacher. They are also very encouraging and responsive.

Hope this helps

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby TwaTau » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:27 pm

thmejlfm wrote:Hi, ksme

My DD only worried that there will be too many homework that she don't have the time to read and watch TV. hahaa............

Good to hear that your DD decided on taking up the GEP challenges. Tell her one of the assignment is a list of books that they has to read, I am sure that will make her happier. Homework will be there, but it happens also to mainstream as well. She just need to manage her time, I am sure she can insert some TV time for herself.

:celebrate:

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby comfy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:48 pm

JLZY wrote:
pokemon wrote:
comfy wrote:
pokemon wrote:
comfy wrote:
EY2001 wrote:For Maths and GA only lah - IQ maths, Olympiad Maths, GA mainy on picture pattern.

For me, very "naive", only realise that there are quite a few GA books than can be found in the Popular bookself. Too late by then dd has already sit for the paper. :oops:

comfy,

Hi Comfy.
I went to 2 Popular bookshop and couldn't find any books with GA on it. Could you let me know which outlet has that and how does it looks like?

It seem that there are quite a no. of parents very interested in such books. Tell you what, I am going there and confirm whether the books are still there and announce it here. Just incase I remember the wrong place. Anyone interested, PLEASE don't pm me, ok? I will update my finding here, please be patient. Whew!

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby thmejlfm » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:12 pm

I had just faxed over the form. What a release! Now is waiting time. Wait for the result to come, then, I have to write a letter to that school for my DD2 next year Pr 1.

I think the chances of getting in for the Pr 1 is not high. Have to prepare my DD2 that she might not be able to go to the same school next year.

Anybody has the GEP story book list for Pr 4?

Last Sat, my DD went for her ballet class after the briefing. One of her classmate is from TNS, told her that "Good luck to you" and also said that most of the time, the GEP student were always get scolding from the teachers and no PE lesson. My girl was so sad and said how, no PE?

Is it true?

Thank you :?
Last edited by thmejlfm on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby allamanda » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:26 pm

thmejlfm wrote:I had just faxed over the form. What a release! Now is waiting time. Wait for the result to come, then, I have to write a letter to that school for my DD2 next year Pr 1.

I think the chances of getting in for the Pr 1 is not high. Have to prepare my DD2 that she might not be able to go to the same school next year.

Last Sat, my DD went for her ballet class after the briefing. One of her classmate is from TNS, told her that "Good luck to you" and also said that most of the time, the GEP student were always get scoring from the teachers and no PE lesson. My girl was so sad and said how, no PE?

Is it true?

was there a typo error as in "scolding" the students from TNS teachers, oh, I heard abt it too..
allamanda
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby thmejlfm » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:33 pm

Yes, typo error.. very sorry.

Is it?

allamanda wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:I had just faxed over the form. What a release! Now is waiting time. Wait for the result to come, then, I have to write a letter to that school for my DD2 next year Pr 1.

Last Sat, my DD went for her ballet class after the briefing. One of her classmate is from TNS, told her that "Good luck to you" and also said that most of the time, the GEP student were always get scoring from the teachers and no PE lesson. My girl was so sad and said how, no PE?

Is it true?

was there a typo error as in "scolding" the students from TNS teachers, oh, I heard abt it too..

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:56 pm

Off hand I can only remember 3 books which are in p4 gep reading list:
Frindle
The Cat that goes to heaven.
The Dark is Rising - By Susan Cooper

and they can be found in NLB youth section.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby keroppi » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:57 pm

I remember 4 more:

The Phatom Toothbooth by Justin Norton
The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
Dear Mr Henshaw by Beverly Cleary
Tales about Fourth Grade Nothing Judy Blume

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ngbrdad » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:23 pm

Hi just like to recomfirm is it true that GE students with average of 80 and above in P5 and P6 will get into any secondary school of their choice thru DSA without having to sit for the GAT ?

My DS1 has an average of 79.8 for his P5 GEP results this year, just missed by a whisker..........

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngbrdad » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:27 pm

My DS1 will be among the student volunteers bringing prospective parents to tour the facilities of NHPS GEP later this afternoon at 5-7pm.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres