Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby INNOVATE » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:31 pm

ngbrdad

Missed by a bit doesn't matter.

Bringing parents around as a volunteer is good training for him. This task pays dividends at the end.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:44 pm

ngbrdad wrote:Hi just like to recomfirm is it true that GE students with average of 80 and above in P5 and P6 will get into any secondary school of their choice thru DSA without having to sit for the GAT ?

My DS1 has an average of 79.8 for his P5 GEP results this year, just missed by a whisker..........

Other then having to take the GAT, they also need to go thru the interview which will deter whether the kid can get into the school or not. So having average of 80 or above still don't guarantee a place in any sec school lo..

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zann » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:51 pm

vlim wrote:
ngbrdad wrote:Hi just like to recomfirm is it true that GE students with average of 80 and above in P5 and P6 will get into any secondary school of their choice thru DSA without having to sit for the GAT ?

My DS1 has an average of 79.8 for his P5 GEP results this year, just missed by a whisker..........

Other then having to take the GAT, they also need to go thru the interview which will deter whether the kid can get into the school or not. So having average of 80 or above still don't guarantee a place in any sec school lo..

Any GEP students got 80 and above but got rejected ? What is the possible list of reasons/

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby thmejlfm » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi! Vlim and Keroppi

Thank you for the books list.

keroppi wrote:I remember 4 more:

The Phatom Toothbooth by Justin Norton
The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
Dear Mr Henshaw by Beverly Cleary
Tales about Fourth Grade Nothing Judy Blume

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:01 pm

Zann wrote:
vlim wrote:

Any GEP students got 80 and above but got rejected ? What is the possible list of reasons/

I don't know any particular students but get to know from a few parents last week that the interview is very important. Some of the interviewers don't even bother to look at the students prepared portfolio. Don't know how true is it :nailbite:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby INNOVATE » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:01 pm

Zann

Reason is obvious, unable to answer questions effectively during interviews. It applies to top pupils from mainstream as well.

Nanyang Girls High is particular about this.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby AppleCrumble » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:11 pm

vlim wrote:I don't know any particular students but get to know from a few parents last week that the interview is very important. Some of the interviewers don't even bother to look at the students prepared portfolio. Don't know how true is it :nailbite:

From personal observation, GEP students > 80% exempted from GAT and go straight for interview. However, amongst them, there are a couple who did not perform well during interview and thus not offered a place.

On the other hand, GEP students < 80% went for GAT, got invited for interview and offered a place. Interview questions were situational and spontaneous (i.e. cannot prepare). Portfolio was not even asked for or reviewed by interviewers during interviews.

Lastly, there are the top GEP students who are offered a place straightaway upon application (i.e. no GAT, no interview).

Hope this helps. :D

AppleCrumble
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:26 pm

thanks applecrumble :D

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngbrdad » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:00 pm

How about DSA procedure for NuS High ?

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby keroppi » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:56 pm

AppleCrumble wrote:
vlim wrote:I don't know any particular students but get to know from a few parents last week that the interview is very important. Some of the interviewers don't even bother to look at the students prepared portfolio. Don't know how true is it :nailbite:

From personal observation, GEP students > 80% exempted from GAT and go straight for interview. However, amongst them, there are a couple who did not perform well during interview and thus not offered a place.

On the other hand, GEP students < 80% went for GAT, got invited for interview and offered a place. Interview questions were situational and spontaneous (i.e. cannot prepare). Portfolio was not even asked for or reviewed by interviewers during interviews.

Lastly, there are the top GEP students who are offered a place straightaway upon application (i.e. no GAT, no interview).

Hope this helps. :D

This is true. My friend's son got above >85% failed at the interview round at RI.

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP