Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Postby Merlion » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:47 pm

There are 2 rounds of GEP screening test. Please make sure your kid knows P1 to P3 material well for Round 1. About 4,000 kids will then be selected for Round 2. Round 2 questions will be much more difficult. Speed is quite important for Round 2 - students complained "time not enough". Some questions can be difficult, must know when to "give up" a question and move on.

Merlion
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:34 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Don't be caught off-guard

Postby JustKP » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:55 pm

father_of_3 wrote:Yes, I agree with this. During 1st Meet-the-Parents session in P4, I asked my son's Math teacher about Maths Oly. She mentioned only selected student will be allowed to join. No mention of AMEC. So, he missed out in P4 & P5. Luckily, in P6, he was in AMEC & preparing now for contest.


To Merlion,

With this AMEC training, the GEP kids definitely don't need to go for ''external'' training for MO. They are well prepared. Is mainstream given this opportunity? No! Never even heard of AMEC.

JustKP
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:26 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Don't be caught off-guard

Postby turquoise » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:12 pm

JustKP wrote:To Merlion,

With this AMEC training, the GEP kids definitely don't need to go for ''external'' training for MO. They are well prepared. Is mainstream given this opportunity? No! Never even heard of AMEC.


But AMEC is found in that particular school only isn't it? Which school is this anyway? I don't think there are such clubs in other GEP schools.

On the other hand, I know of mainstream schools who start preparing their kids for Math Olympiad from P4 with weekly classes. The children attend the weekly classes in P4,5 & 6 and are sent for competitions, giving them a lot of exposure to all kinds of Math Olympiads.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 7:34 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby Merlion » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:05 pm

> With this AMEC training, the GEP kids definitely don't need to go for ''external'' training for MO.

Sorry .... what is AMEC training? I never heard of this training. Does this has anything to do with GEP schools? Or open to mainstream too?

Merlion
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:34 pm
Total Likes: 0


AMEC

Postby father_of_3 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:47 pm

I only heard AMEC when my boy was selected this year in P6. My best guess yr kid either not selected or not in P6 yet. Again, this is based on selection. School did not mention when was the selection too.

father_of_3
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:19 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: Don't be caught off-guard

Postby kwcllf » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:13 am

turquoise wrote:On the other hand, I know of mainstream schools who start preparing their kids for Math Olympiad from P4 with weekly classes. The children attend the weekly classes in P4,5 & 6 and are sent for competitions, giving them a lot of exposure to all kinds of Math Olympiads.


My son is in P3 and his school will be conducting Maths Olympiad later this month, just 2 weeks before the GEP Screening Test. According to him, only better Maths students are selected to sit for this programme while the weaker ones will sit for another Maths programme (can't remember what's the name).

Any idea what is this Maths Olympiad programme is about and will it help them for their GEP test?

kwcllf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:21 pm
Total Likes: 11


Postby Dharma » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:49 am

Merlion wrote:> With this AMEC training, the GEP kids definitely don't need to go for ''external'' training for MO.

Sorry .... what is AMEC training? I never heard of this training. Does this has anything to do with GEP schools? Or open to mainstream too?


Hi Merlion,

Details on AMEC from MOE Website.

Enrichment Activities: Advanced Mathematics Enrichment Classes

Aim
The aim of the Advanced Mathematics Enrichment Classes is to provide enriching learning experiences to pupils with exceptional abilities in Mathematics.

Objectives
■to further challenge pupils with exceptional abilities in Mathematics beyond the core curriculum and its extensions
■to explore broader and deeper mathematical concepts, and allow pupils to focus their energies on prolonged advanced and enriched work in Mathematics

Programme Description
The 2-hour classes are conducted outside curriculum time once a week. The advanced concepts taught in these classes complement the core content covered during curriculum time. Pupils who have demonstrated even higher ability will be selected to participate in Mathematics competitions e.g. RI World Maths Contest and Singapore Mathematics Olympiad.

At the Advanced Mathematics Enrichment Classes, pupils will
■be exposed to various challenging advanced mathematical problems
■discuss and examine advanced mathematical concepts in greater breadth and depth
■learn different and efficient problem-solving strategies and techniques to tackle the problems

Target Group
Selected Primary 5 and 6 GEP pupils who are mathematically precocious.

Dharma
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 974
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:21 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Don't be caught off-guard

Postby turquoise » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:18 pm

kwcllf wrote:
turquoise wrote:On the other hand, I know of mainstream schools who start preparing their kids for Math Olympiad from P4 with weekly classes. The children attend the weekly classes in P4,5 & 6 and are sent for competitions, giving them a lot of exposure to all kinds of Math Olympiads.


My son is in P3 and his school will be conducting Maths Olympiad later this month, just 2 weeks before the GEP Screening Test. According to him, only better Maths students are selected to sit for this programme while the weaker ones will sit for another Maths programme (can't remember what's the name).

Any idea what is this Maths Olympiad programme is about and will it help them for their GEP test?


If your son is interested in Math and is keen on tackling different kinds of Math problems, then by all means let him attend the programme. Don't view the programme as a stepping stone to GEP. Take it as a long term enrichment programme where he will be exposed to interesting Math concepts and derive pleasure from solving difficult questions.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 7:34 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby Merlion » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:28 pm

Thanks Dharma. This helps. :celebrate:

Merlion
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:34 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Merlion » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:36 pm

Very good points from turquoise. As parents, we should encourage the kids to learn things that they are interested in. It should not be just for GEP screnning test. But to answer your question, I think any new knowledge about maths and english will help them in GEP screening test, especially Round 2. You should view Maths Olympiad training as a "long term investment".

Merlion
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:34 pm
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres