35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby keroppi » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:55 pm

notsokiasu mum wrote:
I am not sure about P4 and P5 because those who took higher chinese did not take the normal chinese paper. Thus it would be comparing apples to oranges. Only in P6 SA1 the school will let them take 2 papers so that the DSA process is fair. In my son's school about half had to take GAT, i.e. score less than 80%. However I think in P4 and P5, the proportion scoring above 80% should be much lower simply because higher chinese score tend to be lower. Hope this info helps.

Thank you notsokaisu mum. This is what I had wanted to know. I am relieved that they will only be taking CL into consideration. It would seem more fair this way although I'm not sure if my DS will fare any better in CL than HCL. :oops:

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby notsokiasu mum » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:22 pm

Zann wrote:
notsokiasu mum wrote:I am not sure about P4 and P5 because those who took higher chinese did not take the normal chinese paper. Thus it would be comparing apples to oranges. Only in P6 SA1 the school will let them take 2 papers so that the DSA process is fair. In my son's school about half had to take GAT, i.e. score less than 80%. However I think in P4 and P5, the proportion scoring above 80% should be much lower simply because higher chinese score tend to be lower. Hope this info helps.

I have the same concern. So is it better to choose normal chinese? School said the GEP higher chinese is tougher than the mainstream HCL. How about the normal chinese which GEP students take?

Whether to take higher Chinese or not depends on whether you think your child can handle. Can stretch them if they can take it. In my son's school, almost everyone takes HCL, the 2 who don't take still attends same class as the rest except they sit for CL paper instead. I think the GEP CL paper is not more difficult than mainstream

notsokiasu mum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:08 pm

Some people don't see it as whether the kid can handle or not. They see it as minus-2 pts for 'O' level agg which will help the child in getting into a premier JC!! :D

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby INNOVATE » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:20 pm

For those without HMT at junior high 4, must take H1 MT or MTB during senior high yr5 to meet our unis second lang entrance requirement.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby notsokiasu mum » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:01 pm

Nebbermind wrote:Some people don't see it as whether the kid can handle or not. They see it as minus-2 pts for 'O' level agg which will help the child in getting into a premier JC!! :D

Sorry, I am referring to GEP students who mostly end up in 6 yr IP programme where o levels are not required. Besides, HCL at primary level does not determine whether the child can do HCL at secondary level. Option for HCL at secondary level depends on PSLE results. :D

notsokiasu mum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cluelessmama » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:21 pm

blur-daddy wrote:Hey cluelessmama,

Ya... DS1 hated IRS, SS and MT... so I kanan 2 out of 3, with DW handle MT. But my DS1 already ask both of us to fly kite :P as he don't need any of our help. I'm ok and kind of glad for his stand. He is so INDEPENDENT... :P

I PM you liao... glad yours and mine are in the same school. Their results will be out today after class party. :pray:

cluelessmama wrote:Well, at least there's "division of work" for you. :lol:

Haha, I can't imagine mine telling me to "fly kite" - will end up with a black eye. :!:

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Herbie » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:58 pm

My DD chose to do IVP but was given IRS.. I am not sure how the school decide on the allocation of project type.. I thot IVP was a better choice... i hope she can handle IRS...

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSmom8 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:06 pm

Neko wrote:
Herbie wrote:Hi Neko, my DD HCL overall score is 85+.

hmm, then surprisingly dd got distinction too. Some scored abv 90! :!:

Herbie and Neko, I think your children did very well in HCL. Congrats!

Surprisingly, DS school's (SAP school) max score for GEP P4 HCL is less than 90% (based on analysis in report book). :shock: Could this mean that the teachers were more strict when marking compositions and orals? Or perhaps the P4 GEP students this year were simply poor in Chinese?

Are your children's schools also SAP?

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby KSmom8 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:25 pm

notsokiasu mum wrote:
Neko wrote:
vlim wrote:
jtoh wrote:
KSmom8 wrote:
comfy wrote:
notsokiasu mum wrote:
Based on this year's P6 GEPers, the 80% rule is mainly applied to P6 SA1 results using the 4 main subjects. Those with HCL will be also asked to take the CL paper for which the result is used. As far as I know the 80% is quite strictly followed for GAT at RI i.e. 79.9% also need to take GAT. In our school, all those without GAT were offered regardless of interview. All who took GAT were given waitlist except 1 offered and 1 rejected. Largely the same group who were offered at RI were offered HCI. So for all P5 parents, please tell your kids P6 SA1 is very very important for DSA.

:welcome: notsokiasu mum, and thanks for your advice.

Thanks for sharing. :D

According to DS, in his P4 class only about 3 pupils scored an overall of 80% and above. Is this the norm? :|

I dont' think so. At P4, quite a few will score >80%. At least half, I would estimate.

I estimate is abt 1/3 of the class or lesser..

dd assumes majority scored more than 80%. she thks she is one of the 'lousier' ones.

I am not sure about P4 and P5 because those who took higher chinese did not take the normal chinese paper. Thus it would be comparing apples to oranges. Only in P6 SA1 the school will let them take 2 papers so that the DSA process is fair. In my son's school about half had to take GAT, i.e. score less than 80%. However I think in P4 and P5, the proportion scoring above 80% should be much lower simply because higher chinese score tend to be lower. Hope this info helps.

Still trying to make sense of my DS's P4 class "poor" overall percentage scores... :?
Thanks notsokiasu mum for clarifying.. Therefore, the overall percentage could be dragged down by the HCL marks since all have to take HCL as it is a SAP school. :shock:
The mean scores for the level for all 5 subjects (including HCL) are also below 80%, 70+%. Is this also the norm this year for P4 in your child's GEP centre?

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cluelessmama » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:37 pm

KSmom8 wrote:
Neko wrote:
Herbie wrote:Hi Neko, my DD HCL overall score is 85+.

hmm, then surprisingly dd got distinction too. Some scored abv 90! :!:

Herbie and Neko, I think your children did very well in HCL. Congrats!

Surprisingly, DS school's (SAP school) max score for GEP P4 HCL is less than 90% (based on analysis in report book). :shock: Could this mean that the teachers were more strict when marking compositions and orals? Or perhaps the P4 GEP students this year were simply poor in Chinese?

Are your children's schools also SAP?

For mine, the highest is 80 plus for HCL. No, not SAP.

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres