Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby Herbie » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:49 pm

Hi ksmum, my dd is not fr a SAP Sch. Top student fr her sch for hcl is a PRC with a score of 92 marks.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngbrdad » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:53 am

KSmom8 wrote:
notsokiasu mum wrote:
Neko wrote:
vlim wrote:
jtoh wrote:
KSmom8 wrote:
comfy wrote:
notsokiasu mum wrote:
Based on this year's P6 GEPers, the 80% rule is mainly applied to P6 SA1 results using the 4 main subjects. Those with HCL will be also asked to take the CL paper for which the result is used. As far as I know the 80% is quite strictly followed for GAT at RI i.e. 79.9% also need to take GAT. In our school, all those without GAT were offered regardless of interview. All who took GAT were given waitlist except 1 offered and 1 rejected. Largely the same group who were offered at RI were offered HCI. So for all P5 parents, please tell your kids P6 SA1 is very very important for DSA.

:welcome: notsokiasu mum, and thanks for your advice.

Thanks for sharing. :D

According to DS, in his P4 class only about 3 pupils scored an overall of 80% and above. Is this the norm? :|

I dont' think so. At P4, quite a few will score >80%. At least half, I would estimate.

I estimate is abt 1/3 of the class or lesser..

dd assumes majority scored more than 80%. she thks she is one of the 'lousier' ones.

I am not sure about P4 and P5 because those who took higher chinese did not take the normal chinese paper. Thus it would be comparing apples to oranges. Only in P6 SA1 the school will let them take 2 papers so that the DSA process is fair. In my son's school about half had to take GAT, i.e. score less than 80%. However I think in P4 and P5, the proportion scoring above 80% should be much lower simply because higher chinese score tend to be lower. Hope this info helps.

Still trying to make sense of my DS's P4 class "poor" overall percentage scores... :?
Thanks notsokiasu mum for clarifying.. Therefore, the overall percentage could be dragged down by the HCL marks since all have to take HCL as it is a SAP school. :shock:
The mean scores for the level for all 5 subjects (including HCL) are also below 80%, 70+%. Is this also the norm this year for P4 in your child's GEP centre?

I remember the mean score from my DS1 class/school for all 5 subjects were all 70+ for P4 and P5.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Neko » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:48 pm

Average for 5 subjects for dd's sch (P4) is slightly more than 80%.

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby autolycus » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:37 pm

I think that averages in the 70-80+ range are great. Any higher, and the examiners aren't doing their job. As the average rises, the more the distribution becomes compressed into the upper range, and the less we know about how good the students really are.

autolycus
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ngbrdad » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:33 pm

Found the Friedrich book at Page One Vivocity.
However it's not by Penguin but by Puffin.
Surprised to find that it's such a small book.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSmom8 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:22 am

autolycus wrote:I think that averages in the 70-80+ range are great. Any higher, and the examiners aren't doing their job. As the average rises, the more the distribution becomes compressed into the upper range, and the less we know about how good the students really are.

I agree.

It's good to share so that we can try to gauge how our kids did, especially since we are not told their position in class... Thanks to all for sharing!

I think that the kids who scored an overall average of 80% did really well... it's not easy considering the challenging syllabus. Kudos to the ones who achieved it, especially those without any form of tuition! :lol:

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:58 am

ngbrdad wrote:Found the Friedrich book at Page One Vivocity.
However it's not by Penguin but by Puffin.
Surprised to find that it's such a small book.

Just bought it at kinokuniya .... Indeed a very thin book ...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zann » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:22 am

Herbie wrote:Hi ksmum, my dd is not fr a SAP Sch. Top student fr her sch for hcl is a PRC with a score of 92 marks.

Just wondering in non-SAP school do you have to take HCL in P4. Thought only P5 then there is such option needed?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby cluelessmama » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:17 pm

Zann wrote:
Herbie wrote:Hi ksmum, my dd is not fr a SAP Sch. Top student fr her sch for hcl is a PRC with a score of 92 marks.

Just wondering in non-SAP school do you have to take HCL in P4. Thought only P5 then there is such option needed?

My kid is from non SAP, they are offered HCL in P4. In fact, in her previous school, it is offered from P2 (informal - learn higer chinese but take same CL paper). HCL is officially offered from P5.

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Neko » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:23 pm

cluelessmama wrote:
Zann wrote:

My kid is from non SAP, they are offered HCL in P4. In fact, in her previous school, it is offered from P2 (informal - learn higer chinese but take same CL paper). HCL is officially offered from P5.

not sure if it applied to last yr's batch as well but dd's batch (P4 this yr) has to take HCL though the sch is non SAP. reason was sthg to do with 'good to learn hcl and they shd be able to cope'. tho dd was very hesitant abt taking hcl at first, she was able to cope and her chinese really improved a lot

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge