35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby KSmom8 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:23 pm

My child's chinese has also improved a lot! :lol:

Recently his tutor bought a P5 HCL revision workbook and he was quite pleased that the comprehension questions were similar to the P4 GEP HCL questions - i.e. have to compose your own answers and cannot "copy and adapt" from the passage.

Didn't want to dampen his spirits but was wondering whether the P5 GEP HCL comprehension questions were similar to the P4 GEP HCL comprehension? Any difference in type of questions?

Thanks in advance for sharing.

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby RachelSmiley » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:05 pm

My dd had managed to survive a year of HCL in P3 using only the electronic dict from Popular as her tutor. I feel really guilty about this, but her only exposure to Chinese is during her school lessons. My MT sucks! (excuse the expression). She is offered HCL next year. Is there a very big leap to HCL in P4 Gep from P3 HCL?

RachelSmiley
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby TREX8 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:35 pm

In DD's school (a non-SAP school), at P4, GEP kids/parents can choose whether to do HCl or not.

At P5, kids need to meet certain academic criteria before they are allowed to take up HCL.

Similarly, if the child is able to fulfill the criteria and take up HCL in P5, he/she must meet the criteria again to qualify to do HCL at P6.

If the child didnt do HCl at P5, he/she will not be allowed to do HCl at P6.

Zann wrote:
Herbie wrote:Hi ksmum, my dd is not fr a SAP Sch. Top student fr her sch for hcl is a PRC with a score of 92 marks.

Just wondering in non-SAP school do you have to take HCL in P4. Thought only P5 then there is such option needed?

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ksme » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:46 pm

RachelSmiley wrote:My dd had managed to survive a year of HCL in P3 using only the electronic dict from Popular as her tutor. I feel really guilty about this, but her only exposure to Chinese is during her school lessons. My MT sucks! (excuse the expression). She is offered HCL next year. Is there a very big leap to HCL in P4 Gep from P3 HCL?

Gep hcl is tougher than mainstream hcl. To me, there was a big leap from p3 hcl.

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

HCL

Postby jiyou2003 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:50 pm

Nebbermind wrote:Some people don't see it as whether the kid can handle or not. They see it as minus-2 pts for 'O' level agg which will help the child in getting into a premier JC!! :D

like to know how this is calculate. Pls "enlighten" me.
Thks in advance.

jiyou2003
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby pecalis » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:01 pm

ksme wrote:Gep hcl is tougher than mainstream hcl. To me, there was a big leap from p3 hcl.

I've checked with ds's GEP HCL tr - he confirmed with me tt GEP HCL is of a higher standard than mainstream HCL. Mainstream HCL is a SAP school.

pecalis
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby RachelSmiley » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:34 pm

pecalis wrote:
ksme wrote:Gep hcl is tougher than mainstream hcl. To me, there was a big leap from p3 hcl.

I've checked with ds's GEP HCL tr - he confirmed with me tt GEP HCL is of a higher standard than mainstream HCL. Mainstream HCL is a SAP school.

Thank you pecalis and ksme. Handed in reply form long ago. Do they use very cheem words in compo and compre? Are they required write-ups or do research ? Hope not or else I will :faint:

RachelSmiley
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby KSmom8 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:42 pm

RachelSmiley wrote:
pecalis wrote:

Thank you pecalis and ksme. Handed in reply form long ago. Do they use very cheem words in compo and compre? Are they required write-ups or do research ? Hope not or else I will :faint:

Don't remember DS doing write-ups or research for chinese, otherwise I will also :faint: so you don't need to :faint: haha..
Compo expectation is much higher and compre is difficult. Most kids lose marks in compre in DS class.

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby RachelSmiley » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:08 pm

Thank you KSmom8. Still having weak knees. The bright side is there are lesser nightmares to contend with.

RachelSmiley
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Zann » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:22 am

[quote="TREX8"]In DD's school (a non-SAP school), at P4, GEP kids/parents can choose whether to do HCl or not.

At P5, kids need to meet certain academic criteria before they are allowed to take up HCL.

quote]

If GEP kids choose CL at P5 which is easier than the GEP HCL, then I suppose that will benefit the overall % at year end which will benefit their DSA.

Is GEP CL same as mainstream CL? Do they attend lesson togather?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP