All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP
Post Reply

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes: 20

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 3976
Joined: Sat Apr 26,
Total Likes:5

Post by titank » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:25 pm

Vanilla Cake wrote:
tamarind wrote:Today there is an article about GEP preparation schools in the Chinese newspaper Lianhe Zaobao. Some schools are charging $3000 for a 10 week session

Image



Any $$ back garantee if not able to get into GEP?

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Nov 05,
Total Likes:2

Post by vlim » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:05 pm

titank wrote:
Vanilla Cake wrote:
tamarind wrote:Today there is an article about GEP preparation schools in the Chinese newspaper Lianhe Zaobao. Some schools are charging $3000 for a 10 week session

Image



Any $$ back garantee if not able to get into GEP?


What is the point of attending such tuition course....hai hai....

zen_mum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Aug 17,

Post by zen_mum » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:45 pm

Are there any parents here who were former GEPers? I was trying to go through all 17 pages of this thread to see if there are any sharings from GEPers... gave up eventually.

Anyway, I just want to add something to this thread, from the view of an irritated ex-GEPer. DH and I were the early guinea pigs of the GEP. Nobody EVER let us forget this fact. The older I got, the more I felt the burden of having been in the program. The GEP label seems to have hung over almost everything we did in earlier years. It was either "of course you got into med/law school/achieved x-y-z, you were from GEP!", or "how come you could not accomplish [fill in the blank], you were from GEP!". Even today we are still 'suffering' the aftermath... We have had relatives asking us to coach their kids for the screening tests. We have to constantly endure remarks from the !^$&# relatives such as "so your kids sure get into GEP lah, they would be truly dumb if they can't make it!" :stupid:

Argh, just writing a few examples is making me :x ...

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2098
Joined: Thu Nov 20,

Post by schellen » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:13 pm

zen_mum wrote:Are there any parents here who were former GEPers? I was trying to go through all 17 pages of this thread to see if there are any sharings from GEPers... gave up eventually.

Anyway, I just want to add something to this thread, from the view of an irritated ex-GEPer. DH and I were the early guinea pigs of the GEP. Nobody EVER let us forget this fact. The older I got, the more I felt the burden of having been in the program. The GEP label seems to have hung over almost everything we did in earlier years. It was either "of course you got into med/law school/achieved x-y-z, you were from GEP!", or "how come you could not accomplish [fill in the blank], you were from GEP!". Even today we are still 'suffering' the aftermath... We have had relatives asking us to coach their kids for the screening tests. We have to constantly endure remarks from the !^$&# relatives such as "so your kids sure get into GEP lah, they would be truly dumb if they can't make it!" :stupid:

Argh, just writing a few examples is making me :x ...


You should have a chat with my DH, sashimi, some day. He's from "guinea pig" batch too but he chose to pursue an arts/soc sc degree. he also has very low opinion of GEP back then. (Now of course dunno since he doesn't bother to keep up to date.)

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Nov 05,
Total Likes:2

Post by vlim » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:18 pm

ha ha... poor thing...
I am not ex gep but my boy is currently in p4 gep ... while i would try not to give my boy the unnecessary pressure which you had experience.... Your relatives who ask you to coach their children for the screening tests definetly do not know what is the meaning of being 'gifted' ... I am very happy and proud that my son do possess some kind of giftedness in him which I do not have. :pray:
I am actually pretty glad that he is in gep as it gives him a chance to be further nurtured and experience more things.


NatTif Mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun May 03,

Post by NatTif Mummy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:30 pm

I do not know what this gep dingy is abt few years back. When my gal got selected, with no extra coaching, I simply told her "fast moving vehicle move to the right, that's why you have to go to gep."
She is a fast learner, by 8pm daily she will be playing with neighbour's dog downstair, yet top her level. She told me she actually felt bored in class. She hates the gep label from day 1. I still do not know how this programme will affect her in long run, but I see her becomimg a independent learner and her thinking is more mature than cousins of the same age. To what I see, it's a fruitful 3 yrs for her.
My niece, who is a yr younger, also in gep, needs alot of coaching and guidance from my sis. I feel stressed just by seeing the mom screaming at the gal to do this & that homework every weekend.
For my younger gal taking the screening test this fri, well, slow moving vehicle better keep to the left.

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Dec 29,

Post by radiantmum » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:14 pm

NatTif Mummy, your keep left & right theory is so apt and funny KUDOS :lol:

Well I think we should tap on our own shoulders and said well done that they don't go OFF the road and get into trouble. :D

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Nov 13,
Total Likes:1

Post by sashimi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:41 pm

schellen wrote:You should have a chat with my DH, sashimi, some day. He's from "guinea pig" batch too but he chose to pursue an arts/soc sc degree. he also has very low opinion of GEP back then. (Now of course dunno since he doesn't bother to keep up to date.)


That would be me.

zen_mum, I'm from the 3rd batch. You? I believe if you're from the early pioneer batches you should be able to calculate which year I graduated.

GEP is not for everyone. It certainly wasn't for me. I *know* I am smart, and I have valuable talents - unfortunately for me, they simply weren't the kind (academic, sciences, maths, blah blah) that the GEP (then anyway) valued. I suffered, simply because of that. Today many of my ex-classmates are doing great in life, they earn more than me, they fly higher than me. Some of them were even counseled by me back in school! (One thing though, almost all the high flyers went science, the arts pple have mostly ended up as teachers - but nothing new for Sg). But too bad for me, my "gifts" are not the type which our kind of society values. I am a counselor, not a commander; I am a diplomat and designer, not a director. I am an artist, not an accountant. If you are a doc/lawyer, you are already "better" than me!

For decades I have deliberately left out any reference to GEP in my resume. I prefer to showcase what I have achieved with my actual "gifts", and not tie them to GEP.

The GEP has probably changed a lot since the 1980s, so I make not judgments on the programme now. However, I will always bear this grudge against the programme I was put through. If I could go back in life, I would have gone to express.

MdmKS
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Mar 09,

Post by MdmKS » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:33 am

NatTif Mummy wrote:I do not know what this gep dingy is abt few years back. When my gal got selected, with no extra coaching, I simply told her "fast moving vehicle move to the right, that's why you have to go to gep."
She is a fast learner, by 8pm daily she will be playing with neighbour's dog downstair, yet top her level. She told me she actually felt bored in class. She hates the gep label from day 1. I still do not know how this programme will affect her in long run, but I see her becomimg a independent learner and her thinking is more mature than cousins of the same age. To what I see, it's a fruitful 3 yrs for her.
My niece, who is a yr younger, also in gep, needs alot of coaching and guidance from my sis. I feel stressed just by seeing the mom screaming at the gal to do this & that homework every weekend.
For my younger gal taking the screening test this fri, well, slow moving vehicle better keep to the left.

I agree that the labelling of gep do more harm than good to the child. Hopefully something can be done to remove this labelling. The enriched programs overall is fine so long as the child enjoys it.

Merlion
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jun 10,

Post by Merlion » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:54 am

Sorry, I am just curious ... how can a teacher in JC or university knows if a student is previously from GEP? :?

Post Reply