Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby TREX8 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:00 pm

Neko wrote:Thanks, TREX8 & vlim. May I know what is RAFT ?

Just checked with DD. She said it is acronym for Role, Audience, Format and Topic (? not sure about T). You need to write on a social studies topic in line with the role of that article (eg. whether to inform or to persuade etc), using appropriate language depending on your target audience, in the correct format (eg. whether a newspaper article, or flyer or brochure).

DD said she did a newspaper article write-up on "Merger with Malaysia". Anyway, the school will issue the requirements and the rubrics for awarding of marks.

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Neko » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:42 pm

TREX8 wrote:
Neko wrote:Thanks, TREX8 & vlim. May I know what is RAFT ?

Just checked with DD. She said it is acronym for Role, Audience, Format and Topic (? not sure about T). You need to write on a social studies topic in line with the role of that article (eg. whether to inform or to persuade etc), using appropriate language depending on your target audience, in the correct format (eg. whether a newspaper article, or flyer or brochure).

DD said she did a newspaper article write-up on "Merger with Malaysia". Anyway, the school will issue the requirements and the rubrics for awarding of marks.

Thank you :lol: This sounds like what dd would enjoy doing.

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Atan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:41 pm

Dear Parents,

Today, I met one of my DS's classmate (P3 HA class) who told me that she will no longer be taking the same ECCA as my DS as she needs to go for her GEP prep class .

I wonder if I am putting my DS in a unfair position without 'GEP training' versus his peers in the GEP test this year... :| On the other hand, I am afraid of the psychological impact on him in case he receive training and does not get into GEP prog at the end of the day.

Would appreciate your kind views on this.

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby millan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:42 pm

Atan wrote:Dear Parents,

Today, I met one of my DS's classmate (P3 HA class) who told me that she will no longer be taking the same ECCA as my DS as she needs to go for her GEP prep class .

I wonder if I am putting my DS in a unfair position without 'GEP training' versus his peers in the GEP test this year... :| On the other hand, I am afraid of the psychological impact on him in case he receive training and does not get into GEP prog at the end of the day.

If he is there, he is there..my view is a trained GEP will not be beneficial in the LT..

millan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby INNOVATE » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:46 pm

Really disappointed to see this kind of post!

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Atan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:55 pm

INNOVATE wrote:

Really disappointed to see this kind of post!

Innovate, this is the kiasu parent forum and what is wrong to ask the opinion of fellow kiasu parent who are more experienced??? There is no need for such remark :x

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby INNOVATE » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:00 pm

Atan

Just go and read the past contributions from many writers and you will have the answer.

Surprise that you can't even take this type of constructive comment.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Atan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:02 pm

CONSTRUCTIVE :P

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ctct61t » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:44 pm

I confess I'm really a kiasu-mum, I also want to know more views from other parents on GEP preparation class.

As I know, many GEP students are sent for such pre class, and can have the chances to go in GEP classes, which will be more benifit both for kids and parents.

Who knows where can find such good GEP pre class... :oops:

ctct61t
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby aqeqiq » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi Atan,

First and foremost, you need to understand what the gep programme involves. If, after you have found this out, you think your child is cut out for it, can benefit from it and will thrive in it, you can next ask yourself whether you want to leave it to effectiveness of the testing or "help" your child along in getting selected. Having said this, please remember that we live in an imperfect world where testing is not 100% accurate.

If you do not know what the programme entails, my suggestion is not to "help" your child but leave it to the testing.

It is natural to want our kids to be what we think is the creme de la creme and the gep children are supposed to be the top 1% of the cohort but if your child is not cut out for the programme but artificially helped along, he/ she is quite likely to struggle.

Gep is not about aceing exams. The ability to process information at a higher level and faster pace is presumed in the programme so that certain skills can be taught. If a child is helped along to get into the programme, he/ she is most likely going to struggle just to keep up with what is presumed in the first place. How will he/ she then be able to cope with learning other skills? Add to this the risk of demoralising the child such that it affects his or her psle results.

Gep parents, please correct me if my comments about the gep are inaccurate. My dd was not trained for the gep and is not in the programme but I have done some soul searching in this area on my part.
aqeqiq
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres