Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby allamanda » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:06 pm

My girl didn't attend any prep class for gep but she got in. She used to complete her mainstream homework in minutes but now she took hours to do her gep worksheets. At least I can tell she is enjoying her lessons and is up to the challenges so far.

millan wrote:
Atan wrote:Dear Parents,

Today, I met one of my DS's classmate (P3 HA class) who told me that she will no longer be taking the same ECCA as my DS as she needs to go for her GEP prep class .

I wonder if I am putting my DS in a unfair position without 'GEP training' versus his peers in the GEP test this year... :| On the other hand, I am afraid of the psychological impact on him in case he receive training and does not get into GEP prog at the end of the day.

Would appreciate your kind views on this.

If he is there, he is there..my view is a trained GEP will not be beneficial in the LT..
allamanda
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby TREX8 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:47 pm

ctct61t wrote:As I know, many GEP students are sent for such pre class, and can have the chances to go in GEP classes, which will be more benifit both for kids and parents.

Who knows where can find such good GEP pre class... :oops:

Beg to differ, ctct612t, I think it is too general a statement to say that "many GEP students are sent for such pre class ...". We know that there are prep classses and there are P3 kids who went for the prep class, but eventually how many of these make it through 2 rounds and get into GEP, we really don't know.

my DD gets into GEP without going through any prep class, and if we follow this thread, there are other parents (like Allamanda) whose DD/DS got in without going for GEP prep classes.

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:52 am

TREX8 wrote:
ctct61t wrote:As I know, many GEP students are sent for such pre class, and can have the chances to go in GEP classes, which will be more benifit both for kids and parents.

Who knows where can find such good GEP pre class... :oops:

Beg to differ, ctct612t, I think it is too general a statement to say that "many GEP students are sent for such pre class ...". We know that there are prep classses and there are P3 kids who went for the prep class, but eventually how many of these make it through 2 rounds and get into GEP, we really don't know.

my DD gets into GEP without going through any prep class, and if we follow this thread, there are other parents (like Allamanda) whose DD/DS got in without going for GEP prep classes.

somebody please pick up the phone and call the GEP prep class people to find out their success rate - you can find out how may got in because they will be proud to proclaim their success rate to entice you in. get that number.

now you know each GEP cohort is 1%, so it is ranging from 410 to 450 (no more 500 of the old days, birth rates are low, confirmed by MM Lee)

get the difference and presto, you know how many went for prep class or otherwise
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:01 am

This GEP prepatory class debate has been a hot topic off and on in the ksp forum for the longest time. There are two clear groups.

The first, parents who are anxious for their children to gain admittance into GEP, in order to maximise their potential, to reap the 'benefits' that are supposed to come with GEP status. Some of these parents do not consider their children's abilities, believing their kids can be trained to ace the GEP selection test and hence gain entry. Others are convinced of their child's abilities but want to insure their entry by preparing them. After all, they say, if other kids are prepping and you're not, you'll lose out even if you're 'gifted'.

The other group of parents are the ones who are fervently against GEP training, believing that if you have it, you have it. And if you train your kid just to get into GEP, he/she will suffer during the programme, unable to keep up with his peers, lose his self-confidence and self-esteem, and in the worst case scenario, under-perform such that he/she does not get any DSA offers and also does not do well at PSLE. So he suffers through 3 years of GEP and does not reap any of the "benefits".

If you read through the ksp postings over the years, you'll find the anti-GEP training parents telling those contemplating training to seriously think about their actions and what they're setting their children up for. But more often than not, the friendly advice falls on deaf ears, because parents are kiasu. And so the coffers of these GEP prep classes continue to grow as they pander to the hopes of anxious parents.

Why I'm writing this is because over time, I realize there's no convincing someone why they shouldn't go for GEP training. It's the innate kiasu parent kicking in. So to each his own. And good luck!

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby aqeqiq » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:16 pm

Following on from jtoh's post about insuring by sending to prep classes, sometimes unforeseen events may still happen. In my kiddo's case, she came down with a week long high fever which broke two days before the gep 2nd round. Someone somewhere was trying to tell me something! :lol:
aqeqiq
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby INNOVATE » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:26 pm

I suppose those contemplating sending their kids for prep classes are of high ability to very high ability ones.

Gifted kids are a gift from above and such innate quality cannot be produced thru attending classes. Why not let the system do the filtering notwithstanding any imperfection. In the event that your kids are not chosen, any disappointment should be temporary. Bless those chosen ones. Believe the gifted ones shall grow up contributing to society in important positions. Many of these gifted students don't even want to mention about it at jcs, unis and workplace. Many do not brat about it and just want to make a difference to the society which they belong. For the high ability/talented ones who were not selected, your turn for recognition shall come. This can happen during PSLE/ upper sec/jc/unis/workplace. You will not lose out.

No worries.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phankao » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:55 pm

INNOVATE wrote:I suppose those contemplating sending their kids for prep classes are of high ability to very high ability ones.

Gifted kids are a gift from above and such innate quality cannot be produced thru attending classes. Why not let the system do the filtering notwithstanding any imperfection. In the event that your kids are not chosen, any disappointment should be temporary. Bless those chosen ones. Believe the gifted ones shall grow up contributing to society in important positions. Many of these gifted students don't even want to mention about it at jcs, unis and workplace. Many do not brat about it and just want to make a difference to the society which they belong. For the high ability/talented ones who were not selected, your turn for recognition shall come. This can happen during PSLE/ upper sec/jc/unis/workplace. You will not lose out.

No worries.

I believe that even if the child doesn't get selected, the training would not have been a waste. The training is useful.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lizhi » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:57 pm

i received "mind strecher"s news brochure yesterday...they offer P3 GEP prep lab, anyone has any constructive comment for such lab? i am in indecisive whether i send my dd there or not...
Last edited by lizhi on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lizhi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby blur-daddy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:09 pm

Constructive comment??? hehehe. This is a hot topic and it is really your personal choice. I can understand parent anxiety about if 2 kids being equal, will my kiddo lose out if not go for preparation?

From what I know for Mind Stretcher, they open up pre-GEP in their Bishan branch, and the other one is at Bukit Panjang. Before admitting the kiddo, they will conduct a trial test for your kiddo first. I think similar to branded one like Learning Lab. One pre-requisite is that your kiddo must already score like 85 and above in all subjects (I hope I got it right) i.e. already a HA calibre. So u see, they already filter out the rest, and focus on HA.

You can try to sign up to their GEP talk and decide for yourself. You will get more info during the talk e.g. the GEP selection process, % filter rate etc. Do note their fee is like twice or three time that of normal tuition. Regardless, do note such talk is STILL MARKETING talk... they can say whatever they wanted and there is no guarantee for your kiddo.

lizhi wrote:i received "mind strecher"s news brochure yeaterday...they offer P3 GEP prep lab, anybody has any constructive comment for such lab? i am in indecisive whether i send my dd there or not...
:wink:

blur-daddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby vlim » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:30 pm

I remember someone in this thread mention that p6 gep is a breeze compare to p4 and p5..but hor...now my ds already receive a few English assignments of different datelines plus SS portfolio plus many HCL homework and daily Maths homework... :faint: ...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP