Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby jtoh » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:43 pm

vlim wrote:I remember someone in this thread mention that p6 gep is a breeze compare to p4 and p5..but hor...now my ds already receive a few English assignments of different datelines plus SS portfolio plus many HCL homework and daily Maths homework... :faint: ...

Me! I was the one who mentioned that P6 GEP is a breeze compared to P4 & P5. Of course it won't be completely easy going but it's comparatively lighter compared to P4 & P5. I think as parents we get anxious because they're still so busy with GEP projects in P6 and wonder if they'll be prepared for PSLE. But the schools will time it such that all projects will be completed by end Term 2, if not early Term 3, leaving them with ample time to prepare for PSLE. I believe the teachers will tell you the same too.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby lizhi » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:08 pm

blur-daddy wrote:Constructive comment??? hehehe. This is a hot topic and it is really your personal choice. I can understand parent anxiety about if 2 kids being equal, will my kiddo lose out if not go for preparation?

From what I know for Mind Stretcher, they open up pre-GEP in their Bishan branch, and the other one is at Bukit Panjang. Before admitting the kiddo, they will conduct a trial test for your kiddo first. I think similar to branded one like Learning Lab. One pre-requisite is that your kiddo must already score like 85 and above in all subjects (I hope I got it right) i.e. already a HA calibre. So u see, they already filter out the rest, and focus on HA.

You can try to sign up to their GEP talk and decide for yourself. You will get more info during the talk e.g. the GEP selection process, % filter rate etc. Do note their fee is like twice or three time that of normal tuition. Regardless, do note such talk is STILL MARKETING talk... they can say whatever they wanted and there is no guarantee for your kiddo.

lizhi wrote:i received "mind strecher"s news brochure yeaterday...they offer P3 GEP prep lab, anybody has any constructive comment for such lab? i am in indecisive whether i send my dd there or not...
:wink:

noted with thanks :celebrate: blur-daddy, not blur at all :wink:

lizhi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby vlim » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:12 pm

jtoh wrote:
vlim wrote:I remember someone in this thread mention that p6 gep is a breeze compare to p4 and p5..but hor...now my ds already receive a few English assignments of different datelines plus SS portfolio plus many HCL homework and daily Maths homework... :faint: ...

Me! I was the one who mentioned that P6 GEP is a breeze compared to P4 & P5. Of course it won't be completely easy going but it's comparatively lighter compared to P4 & P5. I think as parents we get anxious because they're still so busy with GEP projects in P6 and wonder if they'll be prepared for PSLE. But the schools will time it such that all projects will be completed by end Term 2, if not early Term 3, leaving them with ample time to prepare for PSLE. I believe the teachers will tell you the same too.

thank you jtoh...really hope the teachers will guide them along... :pray:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:30 pm

vlim wrote:thank you jtoh...really hope the teachers will guide them along... :pray:

I'm sure they will. These teachers see P6 students year in year out while we anxious parents don't know what to expect for our kids, especially those going through it the first time. :)

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby fruitplus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:33 pm

vlim wrote:
jtoh wrote:

vlim,

Don't worry too much. The teachers will identify those weaker ones and give them remedial class. Preparation for PSLE only starts around 4th week of June.

fruitplus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby KSP » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:37 pm

INNOVATE wrote:For the high ability/talented ones who were not selected, your turn for recognition shall come. This can happen during PSLE/ upper sec/jc/unis/workplace. You will not lose out.

phankao wrote:I believe that even if the child doesn't get selected, the training would not have been a waste. The training is useful.

I agreed with both statements above.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:44 pm

fruitplus wrote:
vlim wrote:
jtoh wrote:

vlim,

Don't worry too much. The teachers will identify those weaker ones and give them remedial class. Preparation for PSLE only starts around 4th week of June.

so late bulah :? science and chinese need more time to memorise right.. Ok lets see how it goes ..Of course hope he can perform well for his coming ca1 and sa1 so that can skip the GAT for DSA.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby aqeqiq » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:47 pm

Such reassuring words. Bless you.

INNOVATE wrote:I suppose those contemplating sending their kids for prep classes are of high ability to very high ability ones.

Gifted kids are a gift from above and such innate quality cannot be produced thru attending classes. Why not let the system do the filtering notwithstanding any imperfection. In the event that your kids are not chosen, any disappointment should be temporary. Bless those chosen ones. Believe the gifted ones shall grow up contributing to society in important positions. Many of these gifted students don't even want to mention about it at jcs, unis and workplace. Many do not brat about it and just want to make a difference to the society which they belong. For the high ability/talented ones who were not selected, your turn for recognition shall come. This can happen during PSLE/ upper sec/jc/unis/workplace. You will not lose out.

No worries.
aqeqiq
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:57 pm

vlim wrote:so late bulah :? science and chinese need more time to memorise right.. Ok lets see how it goes ..Of course hope he can perform well for his coming ca1 and sa1 so that can skip the GAT for DSA.

It's okay because they've already covered all the syllabus. They just need to do some worksheets to familiarize themselves with the PSLE format. For children who are really weak, the school would have identified them by P5 and given them special attention already.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby vlim » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:20 pm

oki thanks jtoh :D

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres