All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Postby fruitplus » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:35 am

vlim wrote:
so late bulah :? science and chinese need more time to memorise right.. Ok lets see how it goes ..Of course hope he can perform well for his coming ca1 and sa1 so that can skip the GAT for DSA.


Yah, it is a bit late. But different school might have different schedule?

CA1 and SA1 preparation are totally different from PSLE, especially Science, the answers expected are different from PSLE (causing some confusion for DS when he used the School Online Learning portal [mainstream] for revisions); I think for CL, EL, and MA, different topics are tested.

Oh, don't forget SS, SS is important for the GEP EESIS scholarship for IP school.

Do well for CA1 and SA1, then CHIONG for DSA, then less stress for PSLE, haha =)

fruitplus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 5:01 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby fruitplus » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:38 am

jtoh wrote:
vlim wrote:so late bulah :? science and chinese need more time to memorise right.. Ok lets see how it goes ..Of course hope he can perform well for his coming ca1 and sa1 so that can skip the GAT for DSA.


It's okay because they've already covered all the syllabus. They just need to do some worksheets to familiarize themselves with the PSLE format. For children who are really weak, the school would have identified them by P5 and given them special attention already.


Yah, that's right, weaker ones have to attend remedial class every week in P6.

fruitplus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 5:01 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby TREX8 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:46 am

fruitplus wrote:Do well for CA1 and SA1, then CHIONG for DSA, then less stress for PSLE, haha =)


Well said, fruitplus, that is what I said to DD. Focus on GEP curriculum now, go for DSA and then focus on PSLE.

I also noticed that DD is very relaxed this yr. She only needs to stay back on Mon for CL and that's all. Some kids were called back for various remedial and some kids attend Advanced Math on Fri. Other than that, not much outside curriculum activities. Even the homework given is manageable. This is very unlike P5 where there were so much activities.

At times, the kiasu mummy mentality in me kicks in and I start to be very kancheong about whether she would be adequately prepared for her PSLE. Especially when the mainstream classes seems to be doing more - stay back on Mon, Tue and Thur for compulsory supplementary classes and loads of specimen papers to do ...

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:54 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby TREX8 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:53 am

I have a query about Social Studies in P6GEP.

DD said that there will be no scores for Social Studies, just a grade (Distinction, Merit and Pass). So does it mean that for SA1 the total aggregate is based on a total of 400 marks - for English, CL/HCL, Math and Science? If so, this is "bad" news as DD usually scores very well for Social Studies which is her favourite subject. That also means the weightage for Math, her weakest subject, is higher (25% compared to 20%) :cry:

So got to work harder at Math to ensure at least 80% average for DSA. Thank goodness DD has a wonderful Math teacher this year.

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:54 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby INNOVATE » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:12 am

TREX8 wrote:I have a query about Social Studies in P6GEP.

DD said that there will be no scores for Social Studies, just a grade (Distinction, Merit and Pass). So does it mean that for SA1 the total aggregate is based on a total of 400 marks - for English, CL/HCL, Math and Science? If so, this is "bad" news as DD usually scores very well for Social Studies which is her favourite subject. That also means the weightage for Math, her weakest subject, is higher (25% compared to 20%) :cry:

So got to work harder at Math to ensure at least 80% average for DSA. Thank goodness DD has a wonderful Math teacher this year.



Whether your dd will be in RGS or NGHS, it looks like she is a humnanities scholar in the making.

INNOVATE
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:27 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby vlim » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:55 am

fruitplus wrote:
vlim wrote:
so late bulah :? science and chinese need more time to memorise right.. Ok lets see how it goes ..Of course hope he can perform well for his coming ca1 and sa1 so that can skip the GAT for DSA.


Yah, it is a bit late. But different school might have different schedule?

CA1 and SA1 preparation are totally different from PSLE, especially Science, the answers expected are different from PSLE (causing some confusion for DS when he used the School Online Learning portal [mainstream] for revisions); I think for CL, EL, and MA, different topics are tested.

Oh, don't forget SS, SS is important for the GEP EESIS scholarship for IP school.

Do well for CA1 and SA1, then CHIONG for DSA, then less stress for PSLE, haha =)


thanks again fruitiplus..hope to be able to meet the form teacher soon so as to clear all the queries :(

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:49 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby vlim » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:58 am

TREX8 wrote:
fruitplus wrote:Do well for CA1 and SA1, then CHIONG for DSA, then less stress for PSLE, haha =)


Well said, fruitplus, that is what I said to DD. Focus on GEP curriculum now, go for DSA and then focus on PSLE.

I also noticed that DD is very relaxed this yr. She only needs to stay back on Mon for CL and that's all. Some kids were called back for various remedial and some kids attend Advanced Math on Fri. Other than that, not much outside curriculum activities. Even the homework given is manageable. This is very unlike P5 where there were so much activities.

At times, the kiasu mummy mentality in me kicks in and I start to be very kancheong about whether she would be adequately prepared for her PSLE. Especially when the mainstream classes seems to be doing more - stay back on Mon, Tue and Thur for compulsory supplementary classes and loads of specimen papers to do ...


my ds has to stay back for 3 to 4 days a week. 2 days extended lessons for p6 gep, 1 day AMEC and 1 day cca (alternate week)..so... kind of tiring for him ...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:49 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby vlim » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:02 pm

TREX8 wrote:I have a query about Social Studies in P6GEP.

DD said that there will be no scores for Social Studies, just a grade (Distinction, Merit and Pass). So does it mean that for SA1 the total aggregate is based on a total of 400 marks - for English, CL/HCL, Math and Science? If so, this is "bad" news as DD usually scores very well for Social Studies which is her favourite subject. That also means the weightage for Math, her weakest subject, is higher (25% compared to 20%) :cry:

So got to work harder at Math to ensure at least 80% average for DSA. Thank goodness DD has a wonderful Math teacher this year.


as mention in the RI website, the 80% are make by the 4 core subjects which exclude SS. But nevertheless, as what fruitiplus has mentioned, SS is important for the EESiS scholarship..

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:49 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby TREX8 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:59 pm

Tks for the compliment INNOVATE, but 小时了了,大未必佳 (roughly translated as "might be good when young, but needn't turn out so when older").

INNOVATE wrote:
TREX8 wrote:I have a query about Social Studies in P6GEP.

DD said that there will be no scores for Social Studies, just a grade (Distinction, Merit and Pass). So does it mean that for SA1 the total aggregate is based on a total of 400 marks - for English, CL/HCL, Math and Science? If so, this is "bad" news as DD usually scores very well for Social Studies which is her favourite subject. That also means the weightage for Math, her weakest subject, is higher (25% compared to 20%) :cry:

So got to work harder at Math to ensure at least 80% average for DSA. Thank goodness DD has a wonderful Math teacher this year.



Whether your dd will be in RGS or NGHS, it looks like she is a humnanities scholar in the making.

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:54 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby TREX8 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:02 pm

vlim wrote:my ds has to stay back for 3 to 4 days a week. 2 days extended lessons for p6 gep, 1 day AMEC and 1 day cca (alternate week)..so... kind of tiring for him ...


Oops, I've forgotten DD's CCA day which is on Saturday - so she doesn't stay back but need to go back to school on Saturday. Also, she's not selected for the AMEC (I suppose it is Advanced Math programme).

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:54 pm
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to GEP