35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby vlim » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:51 pm

TREX8 wrote:
vlim wrote:my ds has to stay back for 3 to 4 days a week. 2 days extended lessons for p6 gep, 1 day AMEC and 1 day cca (alternate week)..so... kind of tiring for him ...

Oops, I've forgotten DD's CCA day which is on Saturday - so she doesn't stay back but need to go back to school on Saturday. Also, she's not selected for the AMEC (I suppose it is Advanced Math programme).

is Advance Maths Enrichment Club

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fruitplus » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:10 pm

TREX8 wrote:
fruitplus wrote:Do well for CA1 and SA1, then CHIONG for DSA, then less stress for PSLE, haha =)

Well said, fruitplus, that is what I said to DD. Focus on GEP curriculum now, go for DSA and then focus on PSLE.

I also noticed that DD is very relaxed this yr. She only needs to stay back on Mon for CL and that's all. Some kids were called back for various remedial and some kids attend Advanced Math on Fri. Other than that, not much outside curriculum activities. Even the homework given is manageable. This is very unlike P5 where there were so much activities.

At times, the kiasu mummy mentality in me kicks in and I start to be very kancheong about whether she would be adequately prepared for her PSLE. Especially when the mainstream classes seems to be doing more - stay back on Mon, Tue and Thur for compulsory supplementary classes and loads of specimen papers to do ...

Trex8,

Yah, at this moment, focus on GEP curriculum is the right choice.

The path is quite clearly defined:

Try to do well in SA1, score above 80% average (CL, EL MA and Scn), then don't need to sit for GAT (BTW, DHS 75% get Confirm offer in DSA). Perform Ok in interview and get a confirm offer for DSA.

If SA1 not above 80%, try to do well in GAT and interview. Most probably will get a Wait listed offer, ranking in wait list not sure depends on SA1 results or GAT results (so I guess both are important). Interview seems less important compared to SA1 and GAT results, but it is a very good experience for the kids.

If DSA not accepted, Chiong all the way in PSLE.

Good luck to your kids, Vlim and Trex8 !

fruitplus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby vlim » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:37 pm

:thankyou: fruitiplus :grphug:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TREX8 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:15 pm

Thank you, Fruitplus, your post is very reassuring!

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby fruitplus » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:04 pm

Vlim & Trex8,

You are welcome! I went thru all these last year. As parents, we can't help worrying for our kids.

Come to think of it, last year, all my stress came from DS as he is the easygoing and not so hardworking type. :x

Well, he made it for DSA, I just hope that he will more hardworking and do well this year.

Oh, BTW it might be a good idea to get flu jab for your kids, although it is only effective against 70~80% of the flu virus (still better than none, right?). I think the new flu jab only available around April or so.

But for my DS's case, he was sick on SA1 (Math), so I decided to get him a flu jab after SA1. Yet, even with the flu jab, he was sick on prelim (Scn and CL) and PSLE (Scn and HCL):cry: , so it seems to be due to stress ~ his teacher said so (although he didn't look stress to me :| )

I will get flu jab for my Sec 4 girl this year, just being Kiasu, again.

fruitplus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby vlim » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Hi fruitplus...I am undergoing the same stress as what u had!...not stress by the work but stress by my ds as he play a bit too much of computer games ... hope he is able to get to his dream school through DSA...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:25 pm

vlim wrote:Hi fruitplus...I am undergoing the same stress as what u had!...not stress by the work but stress by my ds as he play a bit too much of computer games ... hope he is able to get to his dream school through DSA...

Hi vlim, I read on the other thread that your kid was awarded the merit scholarship so he must be one of the top students in his school. So DSA should be no problem! :)

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby vlim » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:32 pm

jtoh wrote:
vlim wrote:Hi fruitplus...I am undergoing the same stress as what u had!...not stress by the work but stress by my ds as he play a bit too much of computer games ... hope he is able to get to his dream school through DSA...

Hi vlim, I read on the other thread that your kid was awarded the merit scholarship so he must be one of the top students in his school. So DSA should be no problem! :)

Still got to depend on this year sa1 result and the interview performance lah .... Emmm ... Hope time fly fast fast this yr ....

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fruitplus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:26 pm

jtoh wrote:

vlim,

Argh, it seems to be more problematic for boys than girls. Boys are generally more playful and mature later than girls.

What I tried to do was to warn DS of the consequences if he didn't work hard and try to push as far as I can (yet cannot made him too stress out, cannot nag too much and irritate him => very difficult to balance). These kids are very smart, you just have to they them know that if they work hard for SA1, after that it is an easy path.

I think my DS work harder in SA1 than PSLE, he found PSLE preparation too boring, probably bcos they had to do a lot of exam papers. Ttheir teachers gave them past year and current year mainstream exam papers from all the 9 GEP Pri. So you don't need to buy past year exam papers for your son to practise =)

Since your son is 1 or the top students in his school, I think you can be more relax. My DS was an average student only, average from P4, so mom has to worry a lot.

If my DS can make it, I am sure your son has no problem ! Relax!

fruitplus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jtoh » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:33 pm

fruitplus wrote:
jtoh wrote:

vlim,

Argh, it seems to be more problematic for boys than girls. Boys are generally more playful and mature later than girls.

What I tried to do was to warn DS of the consequences if he didn't work hard and try to push as far as I can (yet cannot made him too stress out, cannot nag too much and irritate him => very difficult to balance). These kids are very smart, you just have to they them know that if they work hard for SA1, after that it is an easy path.

I think my DS work harder in SA1 than PSLE, he found PSLE preparation too boring, probably bcos they had to do a lot of exam papers. Ttheir teachers gave them past year and current year mainstream exam papers from all the 9 GEP Pri. So you don't need to buy past year exam papers for your son to practise =)

Since your son is 1 or the top students in his school, I think you can be more relax. My DS was an average student only, average from P4, so mom has to worry a lot.

If my DS can make it, I am sure your son has no problem ! Relax!

My dd had the same experience about PSLE prep being really boring. And by the time they started prepping for PSLE most of them already had several confirmed offers in hand, so the pressure was off to perform. :D

And yes, no need to buy exam papers. School will provide more than you need. The teachers swap between themselves.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres