Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby mommyNg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:04 am

Need advice from GEP or ex-GEP parents.. My cousin has a P3 dd whom she described qualities that may be regarded as "gifted". For example, the gal loves to read extensively, had finished all Harry Potter books, Charlotte's Web, etc., is very sensitive to moral issues eg refuse to watch scary/violent/dying scenes, has very unique/creative way of analyzing and approaching questions. Although the gal also exhibits good math intuition and pattern recognition (eg solving Math Olympaid questions), she is only Band 2 in math (Band 1 for English and Chinese), mainly losing points to careless mistakes. So my cousin is interested to know, since the GEP screening test is English and Math, whether GEP is mainly catered to those who are really good in Math or even both, cos in this case, she thinks her dd would likely not be selected (her dd is not even in the top classes). Probably no big deal to know, but she just want to have realistic expectations.. :D

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:05 am

mommyNg wrote:Need advice from GEP or ex-GEP parents.. My cousin has a P3 dd whom she described qualities that may be regarded as "gifted". For example, the gal loves to read extensively, had finished all Harry Potter books, Charlotte's Web, etc., is very sensitive to moral issues eg refuse to watch scary/violent/dying scenes, has very unique/creative way of analyzing and approaching questions. Although the gal also exhibits good math intuition and pattern recognition (eg solving Math Olympaid questions), she is only Band 2 in math (Band 1 for English and Chinese), mainly losing points to careless mistakes. So my cousin is interested to know, since the GEP screening test is English and Math, whether GEP is mainly catered to those who are really good in Math or even both, cos in this case, she thinks her dd would likely not be selected (her dd is not even in the top classes). Probably no big deal to know, but she just want to have realistic expectations.. :D

I believe that the General Ability portion of the GEP selection tests carries the most weight. And also your overall score of GA, Math and English papers. You'll find that among the GEP students, some are not so strong in Math but are very strong in English. Some are very strong in Math, less so in English. And of course there are those who are extremely good in both Math and English.

However, Band 2 in P2 Math isn't very good and I would think that even the GEP kids who aren't that strong in Math scored Band 1 in P2 Math. Maybe current parents would like to comment.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby TwaTau » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:18 am

mommyNg wrote:Need advice from GEP or ex-GEP parents.. My cousin has a P3 dd whom she described qualities that may be regarded as "gifted". For example, the gal loves to read extensively, had finished all Harry Potter books, Charlotte's Web, etc., is very sensitive to moral issues eg refuse to watch scary/violent/dying scenes, has very unique/creative way of analyzing and approaching questions. Although the gal also exhibits good math intuition and pattern recognition (eg solving Math Olympaid questions), she is only Band 2 in math (Band 1 for English and Chinese), mainly losing points to careless mistakes. So my cousin is interested to know, since the GEP screening test is English and Math, whether GEP is mainly catered to those who are really good in Math or even both, cos in this case, she thinks her dd would likely not be selected (her dd is not even in the top classes). Probably no big deal to know, but she just want to have realistic expectations.. :D

Every child is gifted to the parent's eye and in his/her own way. The GEP is just a programme that our education system has, to harness the potential of the children who are classified as gifted according to MOE standard. Just ask your cousin to let her child sit for the selection and if she make it, she make it, and she don't, it is no big deal. Just moderate the expectation and don't stress to the child.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mommyNg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:27 pm

Thanks, will do! :D

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSP » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:16 am

I treat GEP like something extra or additional. If my dd gets in, it's a bonus and yes it is something to be happy with but if not life still goes on. It's like getting extra bonus from the company during year end. :celebrate:

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:52 pm

KSP wrote:I treat GEP like something extra or additional. If my dd gets in, it's a bonus and yes it is something to be happy with but if not life still goes on. It's like getting extra bonus from the company during year end. :celebrate:

emmm....I will not take it as bonus .....I take it as a promotion by the company for the recognition of your ability but with more challenging work and assignments ahead :scratchhead: ......... :lol:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zann » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:53 pm

vlim wrote:emmm....I will not take it as bonus .....I take it as a promotion by the company for the recognition of your ability but with more challenging work and assignments ahead :scratchhead: ......... :lol:

Agree to that extend. But job promotion usually comes along with increment which will lead to more bonus at year end . But this one no leh... GEP needs to work hard and perform themselve well enough in GEP exam and DSA test/interview or even PSLE and get no difference from what non-GEP is entitled leh...

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby vlim » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:11 pm

ya ..so this 'company' doesn't give bonus at the end of the year :roll: ...but at least can dsa thru gep domain .... :lol: ...though no guarantee again.... :P

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zann » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:36 pm

Since begining of year, the maths has not been related to PSLE at all, at P5 ... :P

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ApronMama » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:45 pm

Recently , happen to know quite a number of kids got selected for GEP at p3 last time but did not take up the offer. These kids did well enough to get into HCI with t-score and now put into ispark and "unite" with the rest of GEPers who are there.

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres