10%

Total votes : 20

Postby Herbie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:35 pm

ya.. P5 learning LCM and HCF ...

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TREX8 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:10 am

There I was, lamenting that DD's P6 GEP life seems boring with little projects and assignments, but yesterday, when I saw her 'relaxing' on the sofa reading her kid brother's story book last night, I just blew my top :oops:

Is this the "mood swings" that a P6 mummy is supposed to feel? My rational mind tells me that the correct thing to do is to focus on P6SA1, go for DSA, the chiong for PSLE. And definitely, I know my DD performs better when not under high stress. However, the other part of me is also very kancheong as I know DD has the potential to do well and sometimes, wondering whether am I shortchanging her by not stretching her more...

I supposed I lost my top because DD came back with a below expectation score for CL (I have yet to see the script so yet to know what went wrong) and the cumulation of stuff that fellow PSLE parents whom I interact with have been sharing (sending for PSLE prep, doing assessments etc and this is over and above the tons of homework and supp classes that the best mainstream classes are already attending).

So when I saw dear DD lying there, seemingly so 'bochap' (I suppose if she had picked up a more "cheem" book or a Chinese book to read, I probably would be able to keep my cool... ), I just lost it!

Now felt so bad, hence ventilate here. So sorry, fellow KSP forummers for offloading this here. Will get her a nice lunch and say sorry... Maybe will also teach her to get out of my way and appear busy when mum's in one of those dilemma moods - especially after getting off the phone with one of those well-meaning mummies ...
TREX8 wrote:
vlim wrote:
TREX8 wrote:
vlim wrote:
TREX8 wrote:Also nothing special. Submitted one ERP. The rest are the usual revision papers and worksheets. Is she missing out on something?

vlim wrote:How abt English assignments? :roll:

How about show and tell assignment? My ds is doing the presentation after cny and there after there are 2 more English assignments ...

Nope, nothing about show and tell... nor additional English assignments. Maybe teacher is givng them a good CNY break before giving them these assignments?

his teacher has given to them 3 English assignment lists with staggered datelines since school reopen and that make me :sweat:

Dear vlim, now my turn to :sweat: because DD's teacher didn't assign anything for English except for ERP...

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:27 am

sometime reading those kids' story books does provide some relaxation magic as well as providing some inspiration....she could be 're-living' her childhood through reading the kid brother's story book and thinking to herself what a difference growing up makes life to be....with the expectation of a GEP kid....it would be fun to play this with your kid : trying to guess what goes through her mind as she read those books......

TREX8 wrote:There I was, lamenting that DD's P6 GEP life seems boring with little projects and assignments, but yesterday, when I saw her 'relaxing' on the sofa reading her kid brother's story book last night, I just blew my top :oops:

Is this the "mood swings" that a P6 mummy is supposed to feel? My rational mind tells me that the correct thing to do is to focus on P6SA1, go for DSA, the chiong for PSLE. And definitely, I know my DD performs better when not under high stress. However, the other part of me is also very kancheong as I know DD has the potential to do well and sometimes, wondering whether am I shortchanging her by not stretching her more...

I supposed I lost my top because DD came back with a below expectation score for CL (I have yet to see the script so yet to know what went wrong) and the cumulation of stuff that fellow PSLE parents whom I interact with have been sharing (sending for PSLE prep, doing assessments etc and this is over and above the tons of homework and supp classes that the best mainstream classes are already attending).

So when I saw dear DD lying there, seemingly so 'bochap' (I suppose if she had picked up a more "cheem" book or a Chinese book to read, I probably would be able to keep my cool... ), I just lost it!

Now felt so bad, hence ventilate here. So sorry, fellow KSP forummers for offloading this here. Will get her a nice lunch and say sorry... Maybe will also teach her to get out of my way and appear busy when mum's in one of those dilemma moods - especially after getting off the phone with one of those well-meaning mummies ...
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:41 am

TREX8 wrote:There I was, lamenting that DD's P6 GEP life seems boring with little projects and assignments, but yesterday, when I saw her 'relaxing' on the sofa reading her kid brother's story book last night, I just blew my top :oops:

TREX8, you're very funny and I mean that in a good way. :lol: I think as parents we all go through the same anxieties - worry if our kids are too stressed, worry if they look like they're not making good use of their time. And I know what you mean by getting ganchiong after talking on the phone with a well-meaning mum. :) You start wondering if you're doing enough to push your kid.

I think as parents, one of the most important roles we can take is not to stress our kids out. I think the school will stress them out in time to come. :D

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Sun_2010 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:55 am

TREX8 wrote: Is this the "mood swings" that a P6 mummy is supposed to feel?

.....wondering whether am I shortchanging her by not stretching her more...

What can i say its a part of the ritual - most mummies go thru this - so welcome to the club.
I can only say next year you will be look back and say " thank god its over, but at the same time you will be glad you you had that experience."

TREX8 wrote: Now felt so bad, hence ventilate here.

do that it helps putting things in perspective.... :hugs:

TREX8 wrote: Maybe will also teach her to get out of my way and appear busy
when mum's 'in one of those dilemma moods - especially after getting off the phone with one of those well-meaning mummies ...

Great tip :wink:

TREX8 wrote: Will get her a nice lunch and say sorry...

Great.

My one advice would be spend more time with her going for walks, quite dinners, other things that you do together.
Both you and she need to chill. :celebrate:

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi Trex8, mine still busy lah...Just receive another assignment list for Maths subject. :faint: ...and my ds said to me last night :' mummy stress lah...'....
I also feel stress and pity him and can't sleep well last night :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:32 pm

Trex8 and vlim, your kids's schools are quite different in terms of homework assigned. Out of curiosity, which schools are your kids at?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby TwaTau » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:43 pm

vlim wrote:Hi Trex8, mine still busy lah...Just receive another assignment list for Maths subject. :faint: ...and my ds said to me last night :' mummy stress lah...'....

Same here, DS still quite busy, hardly a day where he can finish homework before bedtime! This Thursday also got a 小测验 for chinese. Almost everyday staying in school for one thing or another, come back all drained! The school also crank up the mood to prepare them for the big one at end of the year. We were even told not to plan any holiday so that the child can maintain the mood and ready for the big test, stress, :cry: even for us, cannot go holiday, :x

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby TREX8 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:14 pm

Tks for the response - took abit of guilt feeling off me, especially after I've gotten DD her favourite lunch and ice-cream.

verykiasu_2010: I've checked with DD casually regarding her choice of book. Reason? "Oh, it's the book that is nearest to me" :x Ha ha. next time I will make sure I leave Chinese books all over the house.

Sun_2010: Yeap, I agree with the bit "both you and she need to chill" and the "you" in bold is not lost to me. Yes, I find that sometimes I am the source of stress to her.

jtoh: Yah, it seems that different GEP centres have different homework level. Life is certainly not exciting over at DD's centre.

Actually what got me vexed is also what DD commented on Monday (before the CNY break). When picking her up, she said some teachers have assigned worksheets to be completed over the break. On Tues when sending her to school, she said to expect more homework to be given. We went away for CNY, packing along her worksheets ...

This brought back a sense of dejavu, something that we experienced when she was in P3. Looking back, P3 was the worst year (unless this year manage to beat it) for DD.

P1 and P2, mixed ability class, pace is manageable and that's little expectations on the teachers. When they were first streamed in P3, all the top kids from each P2 class were placed together. The expectations on the teachers were so great. Loads of homework were given (sheets after sheets of heuristics math problem etc), including online homework.

She would frequently walk towards me at the end of the day complaining of headache and alot of homework. When I reminded her to look forward to the weekend, or holidays, she will say that "surely will load with lots of homework" and she was right... I even had to declare homework free days during holidays and bring her to the library to do nothing but read. If she could, she would lost herself in reading and day dreaming.

When she got into GEP, P4 and P5 were busy but she was happy busy and was engaged. It was no longer repeatedly doing the same stuff over and over again. She would keenly share with us what she has learnt and always enthusiastic about her projects or research assignments. And she actually has time to read, something which she found difficult to do in P3.

Unfortunately, I am starting to see signs of P3 year again, especially when she gets loads of worksheets and revision papers for English and Math... The only consolation was that for P3, it was all the way up to Nov SA2 whereas for PSLE, it would end in Aug...

That's why I asked whether is there anything exciting to look forward to for P6 GEP...

Sorry for yet another long post...

jtoh wrote:

TREX8, you're very funny and I mean that in a good way. :lol: I think as parents we all go through the same anxieties - worry if our kids are too stressed, worry if they look like they're not making good use of their time. And I know what you mean by getting ganchiong after talking on the phone with a well-meaning mum. :) You start wondering if you're doing enough to push your kid.

I think as parents, one of the most important roles we can take is not to stress our kids out. I think the school will stress them out in time to come. :D

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby TREX8 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:19 pm

Hi vlim, DD also received the assignment for Math - is it called "alternative math assessment"? At least, it sounds more interesting than worksheets/revision papers :wink:

DD's busy, but the "brain numbing" worksheet drilling kind of busy. Sometimes, I feel that kids need to have time to reflect on their mistakes before giving the next one. If there is no time to reflect and analyse what went wrong, how to improve?

vlim wrote:Hi Trex8, mine still busy lah...Just receive another assignment list for Maths subject. :faint: ...and my ds said to me last night :' mummy stress lah...'....

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres