Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby Herbie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:04 am

My DD is very busy this year... with projects such as ERP, IRS, SS and one story to write... and with so many datelines. :shock:

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:17 am

Herbie wrote:My DD is very busy this year... with projects such as ERP, IRS, SS and one story to write... and with so many datelines. :shock:

P5 right? Yes, busy busy year. Even busier if she gets selected into international competitions. :D

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Herbie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:50 am

Oh! On top of the various submissions, DD got selected to go for debate training. But i dun know whether it is for local competition purpose or just for the fun of it.

:?

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:00 pm

Herbie wrote:Oh! On top of the various submissions, DD got selected to go for debate training. But i dun know whether it is for local competition purpose or just for the fun of it.

Debate training is good..how I hope my ds took part...He only voluntarily take part for Maths related training or competitions ...For Science and others he will opt out without my consent :|

For debate training, I think they will have weekly training and the students involved would need to prepare scripts at time for their debate training...Those outstanding ones will be selected to represent the school for debate competitions..

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fruitplus » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:03 pm

TwaTau wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:Hi!

My DD is first year GEP. So, a lot of things I still not very sure.

At the moment, she seem like still quite free. Had started her first project, the 2D Family Tree.

Would like to check with the parents here. We intend to buy a laptop for our DD, as promised. But, worried that in future, the school might require them to have certain software in their computer. Will there be the case?

Some of my friends said that don't buy now, may be later the school will ask them to buy together with some software require in school.

Please advise. Thank you

Just the standard PC will do, with MS office suite, student version is good enough. It should come with powerpoint, word. You will need to get internet access, to do research and a email account which they can communicate with their classmates, for those group project. No special software require.

That's right, Powerpoint, Word and internet access (for research), and email a/c will normally do.

For my son's case, 2 of his P5 projects required some video taking of the presentations and experiments. Thus, a simple movie clip editing software to edit and add some text will do.

Oh, his teacher also got the whole class to 'pretend' to be 18 years old and create a Facebook a/c for online discussion.

fruitplus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby fruitplus » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:05 pm

vlim wrote:
Herbie wrote:Oh! On top of the various submissions, DD got selected to go for debate training. But i dun know whether it is for local competition purpose or just for the fun of it.

Debate training is good..how I hope my ds took part...He only voluntarily take part for Maths related training or competitions ...For Science and others he will opt out without my consent :|

For debate training, I think they will have weekly training and the students involved would need to prepare scripts at time for their debate training...Those outstanding ones will be selected to represent the school for debate competitions..

Yah, I agree with vlim, debate training will help to build up public speaking skills and confidence, too. My son didn't get selected, sigh...

fruitplus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Herbie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi vlim, Actually, my dd is the shy shy type so i dun know how she got into debate training..

Btw, will 2nd half of P5 just as busy and the 1st half with numerous datelines???

Can advise???

Tx

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:26 pm

Herbie wrote:Hi vlim, Actually, my dd is the shy shy type so i dun know how she got into debate training..

Btw, will 2nd half of P5 just as busy and the 1st half with numerous datelines???

Can advise???

Tx

For my ds, last yr p5 gep, it seems that his assignments and works are quite evenly spread out throughout the year till SA2..(evenly busy :wink: )..He also took part in a few Maths Olympaids till about Sept if I did not remember wrongly...plus his group ivp project poster was selected for exhibition at the ivp fair at later part of the year..and I got to help him to bring his 'huge' ivp project mock up thingy to and fro school and home about 2 times :wink: ...
Last edited by vlim on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby blur-daddy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:34 pm

hahaha... if time permit, I think it is a great exposure... just tt you must manage her time well...

My DS already stay back 4 out of 5 days, and I can see he already fully loaded... can't take anymore... I just help to relief some stress by introducing him to other non-academic activities.

blur-daddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Herbie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi blur-daddy,

Actually, my dd manages her work on her own.. i dun even what are her datelines..

My dd only comes home at 1.30pm on Monday other than that her classes/activities either ends at 2.30pm or 5pm.

I m just wondering what will it be like for 2nd half of the year..

:shock:

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres