LEARNConcierge

All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Postby ksme » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:47 pm

Zann wrote:
Neko wrote:Hmm, for the mystery story, so far dd has only done the first draft in school. Commented everyone found the assignment tough.

Does anyone know anything about p5 science IDP project and ss project (both due in apr) ? Dd was told just the deadlines with absolutely no details about them.


Is "mystery story" CSI report (he wrote so fast and I have not even know what it is he click sent his email )? I have not seen my ds write mystery story leh ...


Maybe it is the CSI report your ds did. I think mystery story is 1 of the key English assignment this year. My Ds's first draft is around 1000 words.

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:47 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby Zann » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:37 pm

ksme wrote:
Zann wrote:
Neko wrote:Hmm, for the mystery story, so far dd has only done the first draft in school. Commented everyone found the assignment tough.

Does anyone know anything about p5 science IDP project and ss project (both due in apr) ? Dd was told just the deadlines with absolutely no details about them.


Is "mystery story" CSI report (he wrote so fast and I have not even know what it is he click sent his email )? I have not seen my ds write mystery story leh ...


Maybe it is the CSI report your ds did. I think mystery story is 1 of the key English assignment this year. My Ds's first draft is around 1000 words.


I am confused with the ERP list which was also on mystery story book they were given for last long vacation to read. Is the ERP book review also must be about mystery story?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby ksme » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:27 pm

Zann wrote:I am confused with the ERP list which was also on mystery story book they were given for last long vacation to read. Is the ERP book review also must be about mystery story?


Not sure about this one. DS ERP earlier in the year was on mystery book. Maybe check with your ds again?

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:47 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby vlim » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:38 pm

ksme wrote:
Zann wrote:I am confused with the ERP list which was also on mystery story book they were given for last long vacation to read. Is the ERP book review also must be about mystery story?


Not sure about this one. DS ERP earlier in the year was on mystery book. Maybe check with your ds again?


i think there are 2 mystery story related story assignments...one of the them is the mystry story writing which the students got to come up with their own story. A few draft were submitted before the final submittion. My ds wrote abt 8 pages (computer typed).
The other one is to pick a mystery story book and write something about it according to the assignment's requirement...
I think you guys can check with the English teacher if u are still confuse :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:49 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby Herbie » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:57 pm

Yes, there are 2 english assignment.

1. Write a mystery story
2. Write a text on mystery book chosen from the book list.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1644
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:48 am
Total Likes: 0



Postby Zann » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Herbie wrote:Yes, there are 2 english assignment.

1. Write a mystery story
2. Write a text on mystery book chosen from the book list.


Checked with ds again. Confirm, they were not told to write mystery story so far.

IDP is for Science.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Herbie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:41 am

My dd is so busy with her project work.. i am pondering whether shld i still register her for Grade 5 ABRSM exam in Sep? Any advise?

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1644
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:48 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby KSmom8 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:16 pm

Zann wrote:
KSmom8 wrote:My child is writing the mystery story. 1st draft - whole class did not meet the 65% benchmark.

Since the start of the year, he has been very busy... lots of math worksheets, a few science and ss research / homework....and the usual chinese homework.

Have not seen the ERP list though.


Hi KSmom8, do you know when the submission date is for myster story and how long do they have to write? Is this actually ERP book review?
So far I only know ERP homework but not 'mystery story', I blur.


My son's class is apparently ahead of the other GEP class in terms of the mystery story. I think that if the story was written in line with the requirements stated in the rubrics... the grading for the story would be ok. My son only showed me the rubrics after i questioned him and after the 1st draft was returned. :| Don't know the deadline and how many drafts are allowed.

Just remembered that there was a review done on a mystery story! DS submitted that one but was a ERP list issued for P5?

Still clueless about IDP for science... What are they supposed to do? Do they have to conduct research and do experiment? The vague example cited by DS was related to crying and cutting of an onion. :? How is this different from IRS?

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:45 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby musette » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:23 pm

My dd is taking G7 this March. If she does reasonably well, I intend to let her take G8 next March so that she can complete it early in the year. We'll see how it goes.

I find that taking the ABRSM exam early in the year is less stressful than the one in July-Sep. Since you are worried about stressing your dd, perhaps you can consider letting her take G5 or G6 early next year.

musette
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:56 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby blur-daddy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:48 am

Hi Musette,

err... what is G7? I only know of G20 this week...

My son just submitted his mystery story yesterday, and it is so secret that I only know of it after the fact... he told me parents are not suppose to know or help out, thus the mystery.

musette wrote:My dd is taking G7 this March. If she does reasonably well, I intend to let her take G8 next March so that she can complete it early in the year. We'll see how it goes.

I find that taking the ABRSM exam early in the year is less stressful than the one in July-Sep. Since you are worried about stressing your dd, perhaps you can consider letting her take G5 or G6 early next year.
:?

blur-daddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:08 pm
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge