Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Postby Merlion » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:26 pm

It is called the GEP screening test.

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 30&start=0

Merlion
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:34 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby wiimum » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:42 am

Fairy wrote:At HCI, all primary GEP students are grouped into ISparks. However, there are also many many students from primary mainstreamers in ISparks. In fact, the 'top' consortium in HCI is not ISparks, but Ortus! (inside info) Anyway, most GEP boys are at RI, so not many in HCI.



But last year I was told Isparks is over-subscribed! That is mainstream pupils with high score have no chance of going to Isparks. Only a few who were previously selected into GEP but stayed on in mainstream schools up to P6 were admitted. So I am not sure if it is true most GEP boys are at RI.

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:27 pm
Total Likes: 3


Postby Zann » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:16 pm

wiimum wrote:
Fairy wrote:At HCI, all primary GEP students are grouped into ISparks. However, there are also many many students from primary mainstreamers in ISparks. In fact, the 'top' consortium in HCI is not ISparks, but Ortus! (inside info) Anyway, most GEP boys are at RI, so not many in HCI.



But last year I was told Isparks is over-subscribed! That is mainstream pupils with high score have no chance of going to Isparks. Only a few who were previously selected into GEP but stayed on in mainstream schools up to P6 were admitted. So I am not sure if it is true most GEP boys are at RI.


How many GEP students actually went to NUSH last year?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Puffer » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:54 pm

P3 students taking GEP screening this year are dragon babies. Considering this fact, do anyone know of the breakdown on the number of students and the estimate number (or percentage) to be selected for round 2, and ultimately how many percent get into GEP?

Puffer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:08 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby watmekiasu » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:07 pm

As per MOE, for this year, 4000 students will be shortlisted for the 2nd round of the GEP Selection Test and 500 selected to join the P4 GEP classes.

Hope this helps.

watmekiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:10 am
Total Likes: 4



Postby 3G » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:21 am

watmekiasu wrote:As per MOE, for this year, 4000 students will be shortlisted for the 2nd round of the GEP Selection Test and 500 selected to join the P4 GEP classes.

Hope this helps.


wonder when would the result for the screening be released? My child told me that the math paper was extremely hard and way beyond P3 standard.... :cry:

3G
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 2:11 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Puffer » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:35 am

watmekiasu wrote:As per MOE, for this year, 4000 students will be shortlisted for the 2nd round of the GEP Selection Test and 500 selected to join the P4 GEP classes.

Hope this helps.


Thanks :D

Puffer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:08 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby watmekiasu » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:26 pm

The number of children going for Round 2 and the final intake remains the same every year. Once again, that means it is extra tough to be shortlisted this year as they are all golden-dragon millenium babies (well most anyway). Of course, as one mom had brought to our attention in the ST forum page a few days ago, there are also those foreigners not born in year 2000 who are competing for the same limited space.

watmekiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:10 am
Total Likes: 4


Postby Puffer » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:35 pm

I've read that article and thought so that the writer was referring to the foreign students who are usually older. Most PRC students I know of are a couple of years older, usually very good in Maths, but not so good in English. It kinds of balance off isnt it?

Puffer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:08 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Full.Cream » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:30 am

Puffer wrote:I've read that article and thought so that the writer was referring to the foreign students who are usually older. Most PRC students I know of are a couple of years older, usually very good in Maths, but not so good in English. It kinds of balance off isnt it?


I was also thinking along that line. No need to be too sore about the age advantage as I believe the tests are not just on the intellectual level of the kids. 8)
Last edited by Full.Cream on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Full.Cream
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:47 pm
Total Likes: 1


PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres