35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby TREX8 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:29 am

vlim wrote:Hi trex8,
my ds was so worried just now before going to sleep because of tomorrow hcl paper. this is the first time I saw him so worried ... psle stress?...

Oh no! That doesn't sound good! Sometimes it is the talk in the class amongst the students and the teachers adding stress on the poor kids. Nevermind, make him a good breakfast, send him off to school with a pat on his back and tell him to just do his best.

There are so many "funny" things about PSLE and DSA flying around.

Two days ago, DD told me that someone told her that he knows of someone who has been exempted from doing PSLE Math because he has already won so many accolades for Math Olympiad etc. I asked DD point blank then how to count T-score for this child? Also, if this child is really so good with Math, then it would be to the advantage of the child to sit for PSLE Math paper.

Then someone told DD that she already has a confirmed place at NUSH and that sort of make DD insecure. I told DD that the child might be talent-scouted by NUSH. However, until that child receives a confirmed offer in black and white, nothing is confirmed.

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:56 am

sometimes principals are also hard pressed by parents to given a definitive answer on the offer of a sec one place .... though they don't call it "DSA Offer" till the time has arrived for issuing such CO -- so principal will say things like "we will definitely confirm the offer if nothing negative happens along the way" or something like that...

so parents may walk away and tell the kids "hor say liao, confirmed...." and the kids go to school to brag

this kind of scenario do happen - parents should do best to keep their mouth shut not to let the kids know the principal's communication to ensure that the kids continue to work hard and not become proud .... then sekali something negative happen -- results drop during DSA process and principal cannot give confirm offer -- become self-fulfilling prophecy...then become unhappy with the sec school principal .......

the fact is, these days many schools are going all out to attract students....so starting from P5 they already have many activities to talent hunt .... and based on those activities, especially for those with good results consistently, they may have an indication from the school on probable chance of DSA offer way before the DSA process starts.
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:42 am

TREX8 wrote:
my ds was so worried just now before going to sleep because of tomorrow hcl paper. this is the first time I saw him so worried ... psle stress?...

Oh no! That doesn't sound good! Sometimes it is the talk in the class amongst the students and the teachers adding stress on the poor kids. Nevermind, make him a good breakfast, send him off to school with a pat on his back and tell him to just do his best.

There are so many "funny" things about PSLE and DSA flying around.

Two days ago, DD told me that someone told her that he knows of someone who has been exempted from doing PSLE Math because he has already won so many accolades for Math Olympiad etc. I asked DD point blank then how to count T-score for this child? Also, if this child is really so good with Math, then it would be to the advantage of the child to sit for PSLE Math paper.

Then someone told DD that she already has a confirmed place at NUSH and that sort of make DD insecure. I told DD that the child might be talent-scouted by NUSH. However, until that child receives a confirmed offer in black and white, nothing is confirmed.

yap ..has told him just try his best last night...
hcl is his most lousy subject and he knows he cannot score too badly for this yr exams though most of the exams, his hcl result is not too bad :xedfingers:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ksme » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:35 am

TREX8 wrote:
Thanks, ksme. Will share more information re DSA after DD has gone through.

Thanks Trex8.

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Zann » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:13 am

Hi Vlim, just wondering if this is GEP common test or taking togather with mainstream in your school? My ds P5 also has HCL common test but I thot it was only a school "in-house" kinda of practics small test only.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Herbie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:20 am

HI Zann,

Based on my dd's calendar, P6 GEP has HCL Common Test 1 today...
Likewise my dd(P5) is also having HCL this today.

:wink:

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:27 am

Zann wrote:

Hi Vlim, just wondering if this is GEP common test or taking togather with mainstream in your school? My ds P5 also has HCL common test but I thot it was only a school "in-house" kinda of practics small test only.

Hi Zann,
It is their ct1. The p6 gep seems to have their subjects ct1(all subjects except SS) earlier then p4 and p5 gep. P4 and P5 geppers have their ct1 for all subjects are at around april/may. P6 gep ct1 is around this time same as mainstream ca1. Then in April/may, P6 gep will have their sa1.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TREX8 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:05 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:the fact is, these days many schools are going all out to attract students....so starting from P5 they already have many activities to talent hunt .... and based on those activities, especially for those with good results consistently, they may have an indication from the school on probable chance of DSA offer way before the DSA process starts.

Yah, DD attended one activity organised and hosted by RGS, and thinks that it is the BEST girls'school! It didn't help that her favourite aunt is also egging her to go to her alma mata!

I am waiting for the open house to bring DD to other schools so that she can broaden her choices. DD said she can't wait to bring me to RGS open house to persuade me that RGS is indeed the BEST school ...

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby TREX8 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:08 pm

vlim wrote:yap ..has told him just try his best last night...
hcl is his most lousy subject and he knows he cannot score too badly for this yr exams though most of the exams, his hcl result is not too bad :xedfingers:

DD had her CL CA today ... She came back saying that the 2 comprehension passages were very challenging. Some kids left questions not done. DD said she didn't even have time to check - which is something that has never happened for her CL paper before ...

Told her not to worry too much as school-based tests/exams tend to be more challenging at P6 so that the students won't be too complacent...

vlim, how's HCL CA today?

One last one to go next week - Science CA. 加油!

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi Trex8,
My ds said 'ok'...so i supposed not too hard :roll:

ya still got one more paper to go...but this weekend he has to continue doing the SS portfolio write up and EL biography write up (drafts) which are to be handed up next week :|

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres