Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby turquoise » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:07 am

I've read that the best age to test for intellectual giftedness is 9 years or earlier. So it doesn't mean that the older students necessarily have an advantage.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Merlion » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:06 am

Give the China students (for those who are willing to work hard) 2-3 years time, I think their written english will be as good as Singapore kids. Sometimes even better. The main difference between China kids and Singapore kids is China kids are willing work hard and they read a lot of books. So if they start their Singapore education at P1 (they should be in P3 if according to age), I see no reason why they will not do well in GEP screening test. But if they start their Singapore education at P2 or P3 then it will be more difficult for them to do well in GEP screening test. Just my 2 cents.

Merlion
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby watmekiasu » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:03 am

Full.Cream wrote:
Puffer wrote:I've read that article and thought so that the writer was referring to the foreign students who are usually older. Most PRC students I know of are a couple of years older, usually very good in Maths, but not so good in English. It kinds of balance off isnt it?

I was also thinking along that line. No need to be too sore about the age advantage as I believe the tests are not just on the intellectual level of the kids. 8)

But that is exactly what they are being tested on - intellectual.

It's not that unusual to hear of foreign students studying the dictionary to improve their vocab. If I ask my dd to do that, she would scream child abuse :oops: and I'll probably to hauled up by the teacher for being an "extreme kiasu-ist". :lol:

watmekiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Puffer » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:43 pm

I used to have some PRC students and they are really very good in Maths because the schools in China had prepared them with topics we cover here in Secondary level. Things like Trigo and Algebra are already covered in their Primary schools there. But their system, and ways of teaching students are different to those in S'pore - that's why their parents here insisted their children memorise vocabulary, phrases from books and dictionaries, and even compositions by the tons. I feel the mastery of language takes a lengthy period, and through applications and daily usage - not so much by 'dead study'.

Puffer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Merlion » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:06 pm

yes, I totally agreed. But sometimes 'dead study' works well for some exam.

Merlion
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby watmekiasu » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:25 pm

Merlion wrote:yes, I totally agreed. But sometimes 'dead study' works well for some exam.

True. These students have a full reservoir and taps into it when needed (ie put into application what they've memorised when needed) while ours only fill the reservoir with what's needed and a bit more.

watmekiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Full.Cream » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:40 pm

watmekiasu wrote:
But that is exactly what they are being tested on - intellectual.

It's not that unusual to hear of foreign students studying the dictionary to improve their vocab. If I ask my dd to do that, she would scream child abuse :oops: and I'll probably to hauled up by the teacher for being an "extreme kiasu-ist". :lol:

perhaps it was a wrong choice of word. My point is that those selected, although there's little doubt they are way above the average Joe, they aren't necessary the top in their cohort.

Then again, that may only be my perception. :D

Full.Cream
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phankao » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:10 pm

Merlion wrote:yes, I totally agreed. But sometimes 'dead study' works well for some exam.

My boy is very poor in Chinese. "Dead Study" seems to work for him. I think he sounds like a walking glossary now!

His whole class is poor in CL (can tell from the class averages) and the teacher assigned for their P6 year is one that simply just drills & drills & drills. It's not fun at all, but it seems to work.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby watmekiasu » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:01 pm

Full.Cream wrote:
perhaps it was a wrong choice of word. My point is that those selected, although there's little doubt they are way above the average Joe, they aren't necessary the top in their cohort.

Then again, that may only be my perception. :D

My perception is, many smart kids are not top in their cohort because of Chinese. That's why they can do well in GEP where they are not tested on Chinese.

watmekiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Merlion » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:46 pm

> That's why they can do well in GEP where they are not tested on Chinese.

I think you are talking GEP screening test, NOT GEP itself.

Merlion
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP