Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby watmekiasu » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:11 pm

Merlion wrote:> That's why they can do well in GEP where they are not tested on Chinese.

I think you are talking GEP screening test, NOT GEP itself.

Aye, GEP screening test. :booboo: Thk u.

watmekiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phankao » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:17 pm

watmekiasu wrote:
Merlion wrote:> That's why they can do well in GEP where they are not tested on Chinese.

I think you are talking GEP screening test, NOT GEP itself.

Aye, GEP screening test. :booboo: Thk u.

Oops, and I happily posted here, then realised it was on GEP....Paiseh. My son & his classmates "dead study" are not even in GEP class. LOL.

That being said, when my boy was in P4, there was a China GEP boy in their group(my son's class had integrated classes with GEP in p4) who had a very poor understanding of English. The teacher was so amazed, saying "how did you even get into GEP?!".(since the screening test all in English, and the english section quite tough).

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ♥ me » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:24 pm

both my daughters got into gifted too , but my eldest didnt want to leave her school . i find it very wasted . my youngest daughter was willing to change , however , and now in raffles girls primary school ! she got into RGS through DSA already , but i think DSA being easier for GEP is not good as they will slacken and not try as hard for PSLE just because they get in already .

♥ me
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Puffer » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:30 pm

watmekiasu wrote:As per MOE, for this year, 4000 students will be shortlisted for the 2nd round of the GEP Selection Test and 500 selected to join the P4 GEP classes.

Hope this helps.

I think MOE website is last year's and outdated. This year's cohort definitely will have more P3 pupils taking and more competitive. I'm wondering if Gifted Branch still selects the same number as previous year.

Puffer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby watmekiasu » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:39 am

Puffer wrote:[
I think MOE website is last year's and outdated. This year's cohort definitely will have more P3 pupils taking and more competitive. I'm wondering if Gifted Branch still selects the same number as previous year.

The stats were not taken fm MOE site but from the letter given to all P3 students this year. Not surprising that the numbers remain constant as most schools offering GEP did not increase their intake during P1 registration for children born in yr 2000. Shortage of trained GEP teachers, lack of space .............. the usual reasons, I presume.

watmekiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Full.Cream » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:44 pm

both my daughters got into gifted too , but my eldest didnt want to leave her school . i find it very wasted . my youngest daughter was willing to change , however , and now in raffles girls primary school ! she got into RGS through DSA already , but i think DSA being easier for GEP is not good as they will slacken and not try as hard for PSLE just because they get in already .

OT. How come no user name for this entry?

Full.Cream
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MdmKS » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:30 pm

Full.Cream wrote:

OT. How come no user name for this entry?

Guess this has happened. This user has hit the space bar... empty characters have been recorded. therefore no name.

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MdmKS » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:35 pm

so where did your elest daughter landed in secondary school? :? did you provide your daughter training for the GEP screening ? Are they locally grown?

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

GEP Life

Postby Bing_He » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:36 pm

Dear All
I will like to add in my understanding on GEP.
My eldest boy managed to enroll into the program.
Actually when it started, it is very stressful for the my eldest boy, myself and my wife.
However with the help of the teachers, we managed to pull through.
We did not deliberately get our eldest boy to go for any training for the selection, however one of the trait we discovered is that he like to read books, especially book related to science and maths.
My second boy managed to get through the first round but failed to gain the selection.
However he is selected into one of the classes whereby GEP students share common lessons with the main stream students.
This actually open up horizon for him.

Please start to read to your childrens at the earliest and may be, hopefully, they can develop interest in reading and study will not be a chores for them.

Hope this will help to shed some light into GEP programe

Btw, please pardon my English, as I am Chinese educated and True Blue Singaporean.

Bing_He
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Full.Cream » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:47 am

I believe most the time when a child is gifted, u can tell at early childhood, maybe 3~6 yrs old. Teachers or caregivers can easily single them out from their peers coz of their ability to learn faster than others. However, it's not all so rosy. Their brain can be so overclocked that sometimes they are seen as ADHD or even autistic. :D
KKH actually put my son on Ritalin at one stage!!! :shock:

Full.Cream
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge