All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby yukilei » Mon May 23, 2011 8:54 am

Zann wrote:yukilei, how did he do in the few practics papers recently?


Just passed. Scored between 20 to 24.

yukilei
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:20 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: All About GEP

Postby blur-daddy » Mon May 23, 2011 11:30 am

yukilei wrote:The English standard is pretty high. The cloze passage can be as long as 2 pages. When he was in P4, he only score 22/40 for GEP english paper. But when he did his mainstream English, he scored full marks. Now in P5, he failed his English paper. But in GEP, there's other assignment for English, eg, writing of mystery story, summary, book review etc. But in GEP, passing grade is not 50%. It's 70%. So, he might not be able to meet it since he does not do well in his paper. I think he got selected because of Math cos he's strong in Math.


Hi Yukilei,

My DS1 also didn't score above 70%, but it seems the average among the kiddos for this term is 60%. My understanding is that if the teacher deem the kids need help, they will request for a parent-teacher meeting and it is this Friday.

If you are not comfortable with your DS result, you can request to meet the English teacher and find out more about the passing grade etc. and how to catch up in term 2.

Cheers

blur-daddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:08 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby Zann » Mon May 23, 2011 1:20 pm

What is the baseline 70% for ? DS told me there is pass at 50% - 69% and at baseline pass 70%, so what is this baseline set for? Anyone?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby yukilei » Mon May 23, 2011 1:35 pm

blur-daddy wrote:
yukilei wrote:The English standard is pretty high. The cloze passage can be as long as 2 pages. When he was in P4, he only score 22/40 for GEP english paper. But when he did his mainstream English, he scored full marks. Now in P5, he failed his English paper. But in GEP, there's other assignment for English, eg, writing of mystery story, summary, book review etc. But in GEP, passing grade is not 50%. It's 70%. So, he might not be able to meet it since he does not do well in his paper. I think he got selected because of Math cos he's strong in Math.


Hi Yukilei,

My DS1 also didn't score above 70%, but it seems the average among the kiddos for this term is 60%. My understanding is that if the teacher deem the kids need help, they will request for a parent-teacher meeting and it is this Friday.

If you are not comfortable with your DS result, you can request to meet the English teacher and find out more about the passing grade etc. and how to catch up in term 2.

Cheers


Ya, there'll be parent-teacher meeting this Friday but my DS is not in the list. His teacher has replied. Told me to get him to read more & read widely. When reading, must learn to appreciate the language, not read fast, not wanting to know the ending of the story. I told my DS to do so. Am just wondering if he understand what is "appreciating the language". :(

yukilei
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:20 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: GEP 2011 Screening and Selection Dates

Postby Trapwithin » Mon May 23, 2011 1:40 pm

vlim wrote:
Zann wrote:
Trapwithin wrote:For those P3 parents who are preparing for the GEP tests, the dates are out.
I do not know if someone has posted it yet, but here is is.

GEP Screening Test: 26 August 2011
GEP Selection Test: 18 and 19 October 2011


Better don't prepare and let nature take its course. From what I was told the various training centres do not cover English componet.


ya la...it is really 'not fun' to get into GEP with the help of the preparation class...the kids might sufferrrrrrrrrrr..


Correction - For those who intend to go for the GEP Test.

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1633
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:38 pm
Total Likes: 4



Re: All About GEP

Postby jtoh » Mon May 23, 2011 1:41 pm

We all like to read fast to get to the ending of the story. Maybe get your son to read once over to get a feel of the story and satisfy his curiosity as to how the story ends, then again but this time slowly to appreciate the nuances of the language, the style etc.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11126
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 97


Re: All About GEP

Postby blur-daddy » Mon May 23, 2011 3:30 pm

yukilei wrote:Ya, there'll be parent-teacher meeting this Friday but my DS is not in the list. His teacher has replied. Told me to get him to read more & read widely. When reading, must learn to appreciate the language, not read fast, not wanting to know the ending of the story. I told my DS to do so. Am just wondering if he understand what is "appreciating the language". :(


Hi Yukilei,

if your DS is not cordially invited, means he's ok. :xedfingers:

My DS also got the same issue... read without appreciate the language... and have grammar mistakes etc. I won't be concern till I receive a phone call from teacher to call for a meeting. I'm trying my best to diffuse an already horrifying P5... hahaha... not easy... especially seeing my DS reading story books during exam time... need a lot of self-control on my part not to 'interface' with his 'preparation', or lack of it. Bite my tongue till it bleed, and I kept quiet... just waiting for him to fail his exam. I have yet to see his chinese and science scores. :nailbite:

If you still concern, you can insist for a meeting with his english teacher.

Cheers!

blur-daddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:08 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby Herbie » Mon May 23, 2011 3:46 pm

We will be going for PTC on friday... for my DD's school is a norm for parents to attend PTC..

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1644
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:48 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby Construction Worker » Mon May 23, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi everyone,
I new in kiasu parents. Hv been following the postings here since my son was selected for the GEP. He is now in P4. Tks for the very informative postings which hv been really helpful.
Results for the 1st Sesmester will be released soon. Would like to find out what is considered good, above average, average and below average results in P4 GEP?

Construction Worker
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 3:54 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby yukilei » Mon May 23, 2011 4:16 pm

jtoh wrote:We all like to read fast to get to the ending of the story. Maybe get your son to read once over to get a feel of the story and satisfy his curiosity as to how the story ends, then again but this time slowly to appreciate the nuances of the language, the style etc.


Hi jtoh,

not sure if I could get him to read again after he got to know the ending. But I guess, I'll try talking to him. Right now, I told him to read slowly. Should he encountered any words that he does not know, just pen it down 1st. I hope by doing so, it'll not kill his interest in reading. He suggested he'll then check on the words & refer back to the sentence to ensure he really understand it. I shall see how this goes.... Thks for your suggestion. :)

yukilei
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:20 pm
Total Likes: 1


PreviousNext

Return to GEP