Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby yukilei » Mon May 23, 2011 5:00 pm

blur-daddy wrote:
yukilei wrote:Ya, there'll be parent-teacher meeting this Friday but my DS is not in the list. His teacher has replied. Told me to get him to read more & read widely. When reading, must learn to appreciate the language, not read fast, not wanting to know the ending of the story. I told my DS to do so. Am just wondering if he understand what is "appreciating the language". :(

Hi Yukilei,

if your DS is not cordially invited, means he's ok. :xedfingers:

My DS also got the same issue... read without appreciate the language... and have grammar mistakes etc. I won't be concern till I receive a phone call from teacher to call for a meeting. I'm trying my best to diffuse an already horrifying P5... hahaha... not easy... especially seeing my DS reading story books during exam time... need a lot of self-control on my part not to 'interface' with his 'preparation', or lack of it. Bite my tongue till it bleed, and I kept quiet... just waiting for him to fail his exam. I have yet to see his chinese and science scores. :nailbite:

If you still concern, you can insist for a meeting with his english teacher.

Cheers!

Hi blur-daddy,

I'll take the teacher advise now, ie to ask him to read more.... wow, ur DS love to read so much!!! Parents are really in dilemma... Some children simply love reading. They read & read & read... till they neglect their study, we get worried. But if they don't read, we also get worried.... :idea:

yukilei
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jtoh » Mon May 23, 2011 8:03 pm

yukilei wrote:
jtoh wrote:We all like to read fast to get to the ending of the story. Maybe get your son to read once over to get a feel of the story and satisfy his curiosity as to how the story ends, then again but this time slowly to appreciate the nuances of the language, the style etc.

Hi jtoh,

not sure if I could get him to read again after he got to know the ending. But I guess, I'll try talking to him. Right now, I told him to read slowly. Should he encountered any words that he does not know, just pen it down 1st. I hope by doing so, it'll not kill his interest in reading. He suggested he'll then check on the words & refer back to the sentence to ensure he really understand it. I shall see how this goes.... Thks for your suggestion. :)

You're welcome. :)

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jtoh » Mon May 23, 2011 8:05 pm

yukilei wrote:
blur-daddy wrote:
yukilei wrote:Ya, there'll be parent-teacher meeting this Friday but my DS is not in the list. His teacher has replied. Told me to get him to read more & read widely. When reading, must learn to appreciate the language, not read fast, not wanting to know the ending of the story. I told my DS to do so. Am just wondering if he understand what is "appreciating the language". :(

Hi Yukilei,

if your DS is not cordially invited, means he's ok. :xedfingers:

My DS also got the same issue... read without appreciate the language... and have grammar mistakes etc. I won't be concern till I receive a phone call from teacher to call for a meeting. I'm trying my best to diffuse an already horrifying P5... hahaha... not easy... especially seeing my DS reading story books during exam time... need a lot of self-control on my part not to 'interface' with his 'preparation', or lack of it. Bite my tongue till it bleed, and I kept quiet... just waiting for him to fail his exam. I have yet to see his chinese and science scores. :nailbite:

If you still concern, you can insist for a meeting with his english teacher.

Cheers!

Hi blur-daddy,

I'll take the teacher advise now, ie to ask him to read more.... wow, ur DS love to read so much!!! Parents are really in dilemma... Some children simply love reading. They read & read & read... till they neglect their study, we get worried. But if they don't read, we also get worried.... :idea:

haha! That's true. The ones who love to read will read during class, in the toilet, when they're supposed to be sleeping....

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MotherHen » Tue May 24, 2011 7:58 am

P5... hahaha... not easy... especially seeing my DS reading story books during exam time... need a lot of self-control on my part not to 'interface' with his 'preparation', or lack of it. Bite my tongue till it bleed, and I kept quiet...

Cheers![/quote]

Haha how true.

DD did not do well too, in particular English. Almost fainted when i saw her results and gave her a tongue-lashing, esp since English used to be her strongest subject. Then after cooling down, I tell myself not to compare with last year. Looking forward to meeting the teachers on Friday to see how we can help.

Sigh....

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby thmejlfm » Tue May 24, 2011 10:35 am

Same here. My DD P4 this year. Her Maths and Science result really make me fainted. These two subjects used to be her best.

But, now, she failed. I think she felt the stress of it. Kept asking me for tuition for these two subjects. I was so afraid that she does not has enough time to rest.

Will meet her teacher this Friday also.

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Edureach » Tue May 24, 2011 10:43 am

thmejlfm wrote:Same here. My DD P4 this year. Her Maths and Science result really make me fainted. These two subjects used to be her best.

But, now, she failed. I think she felt the stress of it. Kept asking me for tuition for these two subjects. I was so afraid that she does not has enough time to rest.

Will meet her teacher this Friday also.

Get a home tutor 2 hrs x ! per wk. Suspect your dd is unable to cope with the gep programme.

Worst scenario, transfer her to the top express class and heck care what others think.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ngbrdad » Tue May 24, 2011 11:12 am

Hi need some clarification here.
I remembered being told in a briefing by someone from MOE at my son's school that only certain selected secondary schools' GEP programme are eligible for the MOE GEP grant.
Some school even though they have their own GEP programme are not on the list eg River Valley High and NJC.
So such schools should not be on the priority list for DSA for GEP students ?

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby yukilei » Tue May 24, 2011 11:27 am

ngbrdad wrote:Hi need some clarification here.
I remembered being told in a briefing by someone from MOE at my son's school that only certain selected secondary schools' GEP programme are eligible for the MOE GEP grant.
Some school even though they have their own GEP programme are not on the list eg River Valley High and NJC.

Hi ngbrdad,

oh, I didn't even know that River Valley High has GEP prog. I was at RI last Sat & one of the RI student shared that the GE student is paying lesser for school fees compared to non-GEP students. He knows this because his brother is in RI GEP prog. Since you mentioned GEP Grant, I guess if you choose to go to RVH GEP prog, you'll have to pay full school fees like other RVH students. No grants.

yukilei
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby TREX8 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:29 am

DD's in P6GEP now and I would like our experience when getting her P4 CT results, which is a humbling experience for the kids, and a time for parents to manage expectations.

CT1 is the first formal test for P4 GEP kids. DD didn't do well, definitely not anywhere near to the high 90s and perfect scores that she had been receiving from P1 to P3.

Her average for 5 subjects was 84%, with 70+ for math. I still remembered the day she came back with her report book. She was quiet when I fetched her and just left it at the coffee table (I was seated at the sofa) and walked crestfallen to her room to change out of her uniform.

In her report book was a slip of paper with the highest, lowest and average score for each subject. I looked at the slip and called her out to do an analysis with her.

She was close to the top score for English, above ave for Sc, CL and Soc Studies, way below average for Math (in fact, scored only 1 mark above the lowest score). So I told her she wasn't doing too bad amongst a cohort of high achieving kids. We agreed that Math is an issue and the problem stemmed from the lack of practise (DD could not finish the paper within the time given).

Over the years, we set expectations and analysed her tests and exam results using banding based on her capability compared to her classmates. For EL and Social Studies, she should be amongst the top scorers. For Sc and CL, she should be above class average. For Math, as long as she inches herself up from the bottom position and proceed closer to the class average, we view that as improvement.

For this recent SA, DD came out beaming and said that she actually scored above class average for math for the very first time!

So parents, don't discourage your kids. They need time to adjust to a very different curriculum and exam format.
Last edited by TREX8 on Tue May 24, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue May 24, 2011 11:32 am

ngbrdad wrote:Hi need some clarification here.

Correct. The schools are RI, RGS, NYGH, HCI, ACSI, DHS, NUSH, SCGS, MGS. Not sure if CHS and SJI were recently added.

RV and NJC are not on the MOE-approved list.

Later on, MOE will give your GEP kid a handout with the list of schools that he should apply for. Note that if your kid decides to go MGS but doesn't attend the gifted programme there (ie the Sophia Blackmore Class), she will also not be entitled to the grant.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge