35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby ngbrdad » Tue May 24, 2011 11:47 am

If I remember correctly CHS and SJI are on the list.
For ACSI they did mention about the diff between IB and O level. Not sure whether the O level section is on the list or not.
So the option for GEP students are quite limited in secondary school if one want to receive the grant which is $200 per month.

Anyone has any idea about the in house GE programme of NJC and RVH ?

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Tue May 24, 2011 12:23 pm

Edureach wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:Same here. My DD P4 this year. Her Maths and Science result really make me fainted. These two subjects used to be her best.

But, now, she failed. I think she felt the stress of it. Kept asking me for tuition for these two subjects. I was so afraid that she does not has enough time to rest.

Will meet her teacher this Friday also.

Get a home tutor 2 hrs x ! per wk. Suspect your dd is unable to cope with the gep programme.

Worst scenario, transfer her to the top express class and heck care what others think.

Edureach ..dont' scare thmejlfm la :lol:

Hi thmejlfm,
For the 1st semester of p4 GEP are pretty 'challenging/stressful' especially for those who need to change school as they not only need to cope with the more challenging school works but also need to adapt to the new environment.
Just wonder how closely u have been monitoring your dd work. Maybe I can share some ideas in how to assist your dd (nevertheless might not work for all kids). Firstly, help her in time management especially when coming to exam. Secondly, let her practise on past yr (mainstream) papers (can be purchased or download from internet) prior to exam. They might not be as challenging as GEP questions but at least she get to practise it. Thirdly, u have to interact more often with her teachers as at which area she need to improve on and seek for their advise.
Of course looking for tuition is another alternatives especially for kids who are willing to attend.
In short, what I am trying to say is that don't be too panic first..check out what needs she need first..and maybe then she would be able to cope better in semester 2...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MotherHen » Tue May 24, 2011 12:43 pm

Edureach wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:Same here. My DD P4 this year. Her Maths and Science result really make me fainted. These two subjects used to be her best.

But, now, she failed. I think she felt the stress of it. Kept asking me for tuition for these two subjects. I was so afraid that she does not has enough time to rest.

Get a home tutor 2 hrs x ! per wk. Suspect your dd is unable to cope with the gep programme.

Worst scenario, transfer her to the top express class and heck care what others think.

Actually a home tutor might not be such a bad idea. I know tuition is not encouraged. Likewise, my DD has no tuition other than once a week Chinese. However, I've been thinking about it alot since the most recent test papers came back.

Tuition, seen in the right light, can be a form of consistent revision. True, the child's time management is important. But we are also talking about 10- or 11-year olds here. I always thought DD could manage time pretty well, but the couple of months before the CT was terrible. Faced with an avalanche of project deadline, it just seems more important to finish the projects rather than do revision. As a parent, I just don't have the heart to push her any further, seeing that she's already so tired. I'm ashamed to say that for DD, revision started only a few days prior to CT (and for English - no revision/practice at all). It is terrible and there's no excuse for it. So maybe having a regular revision schedule in terms of a couple of hours per week is good?

I think tuition also boosts the confidence of the child. With Chinese tuition, I can really see DD's confidence. As a result, she has done well for Chinese (which used to be her worst subject). With other subjects, she seems so unsure now. Before she took the tests, she was already telling me that she was not going to do well. thmejlfm, like your DD, she brought up tuition, in particular The Learning Lab, as many of her friends are there.

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Zann » Tue May 24, 2011 3:01 pm

jtoh wrote:
ngbrdad wrote:Hi need some clarification here.
I remembered being told in a briefing by someone from MOE at my son's school that only certain selected secondary schools' GEP programme are eligible for the MOE GEP grant.
Some school even though they have their own GEP programme are not on the list eg River Valley High and NJC.
So such schools should not be on the priority list for DSA for GEP students ?

Correct. The schools are RI, RGS, NYGH, HCI, ACSI, DHS, NUSH, SCGS, MGS. Not sure if CHS and SJI were recently added.

RV and NJC are not on the MOE-approved list.

Later on, MOE will give your GEP kid a handout with the list of schools that he should apply for. Note that if your kid decides to go MGS but doesn't attend the gifted programme there (ie the Sophia Blackmore Class), she will also not be entitled to the grant.

Just want to clarify : GEP students do not automatically get to go to this list of school : RI, RGS, NYGH, HCI, ACSI, DHS, NUSH, SCGS, MGS, they still have to get through DSA selection. Have known past GEP students did not get any DSA offer and eventually did not do well in PSLE either and joined back neighbourhood secondary schools. Some says if this happens, this a waste of GEP primary programme and selection. There are also mainstream students who were not selected for GEP at P3, but selected to joint the SBGP in the list of school above when they enter sec 1.
Note that RV and NJC are charging govt rate so there is no need for the "grant" . It is for independent school only. But nowadays, the grant does not cover full fee, GEP parents still have to pay >$100 (eg RI/RGS...except HCI first two yrs) if they choose independent schools which is still way above the govt rate $20+ per month. :razz:

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby thmejlfm » Tue May 24, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience and encouragement. I really glad to hear that.

I also hope that she just need some times to adapt to the new environment.

Her English was the top 3 in the class, HCL above average, Science and Maths - I think is way below the average.

I had already told her this June Holiday have to do more revision. She had spent too much time on reading story books.
:sweat:

TREX8 wrote:DD's in P6GEP now and I would like our experience when getting her P4 CT results, which is a humbling experience for the kids, and a time for parents to manage expectations.

CT1 is the first formal test for P4 GEP kids. DD didn't do well, definitely not anywhere near to the high 90s and perfect scores that she had been receiving from P1 to P3.

Her average for 5 subjects was 84%, with 70+ for math. I still remembered the day she came back with her report book. She was quiet when I fetched her and just left it at the coffee table (I was seated at the sofa) and walked crestfallen to her room to change out of her uniform.

In her report book was a slip of paper with the highest, lowest and average score for each subject. I looked at the slip and called her out to do an analysis with her.

She was close to the top score for English, above ave for Sc, CL and Soc Studies, way below average for Math (in fact, scored only 1 mark above the lowest score). So I told her she wasn't doing too bad amongst a cohort of high achieving kids. We agreed that Math is an issue and the problem stemmed from the lack of practise (DD could not finish the paper within the time given).

Over the years, we set expectations and analysed her tests and exam results using banding based on her capability compared to her classmates. For EL and Social Studies, she should be amongst the top scorers. For Sc and CL, she should be above class average. For Math, as long as she inches herself up from the bottom position and proceed closer to the class average, we view that as improvement.

For this recent SA, DD came out beaming and said that she actually scored above class average for math for the very first time!

So parents, don't discourage your kids. They need time to adjust to a very different curriculum and exam format.

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby thmejlfm » Tue May 24, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks, vlim. I always like your advise. :smile:

I had monitored her from the start. Seem like pretty good. She can finish all her homework quite fast.

But, only came to the term 2, can see that she was very tired and stressed when she can't solve the Maths problem and her classmates knew how to solve it.

As for past years papers, my fault. I didn't do it. Will do it this time.
:thankyou:

vlim wrote:
Edureach wrote:

Edureach ..dont' scare thmejlfm la :lol:

Hi thmejlfm,
For the 1st semester of p4 GEP are pretty 'challenging/stressful' especially for those who need to change school as they not only need to cope with the more challenging school works but also need to adapt to the new environment.
Just wonder how closely u have been monitoring your dd work. Maybe I can share some ideas in how to assist your dd (nevertheless might not work for all kids). Firstly, help her in time management especially when coming to exam. Secondly, let her practise on past yr (mainstream) papers (can be purchased or download from internet) prior to exam. They might not be as challenging as GEP questions but at least she get to practise it. Thirdly, u have to interact more often with her teachers as at which area she need to improve on and seek for their advise.
Of course looking for tuition is another alternatives especially for kids who are willing to attend.
In short, what I am trying to say is that don't be too panic first..check out what needs she need first..and maybe then she would be able to cope better in semester 2...

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Tue May 24, 2011 4:40 pm

u are welcome thmejlfm...that's what ksp forum for :boogie: :boogie:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Edureach » Tue May 24, 2011 4:43 pm

thmejlfm

You are definitely not in a dire situation. At least you now know your dd is inclined towards humanities. This will put her in a good position when she is in year 5/6 or jc1/2.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby thmejlfm » Tue May 24, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi! MotherHen

The way you said, was just the same as mine. The Science Project already gave me a lot of headache. Is your DD in P4?

Now, my DD asked for Jiang Lao Shi, Mindscretcher, Science tuition because her classmates have all these. How to squeeze in her time slot. And she refuse to give up her Kumon-Maths. I told her to try it till end of next term. If really cannot handle have to give up.

I will enroll her in Molin for her Chinese. As for Maths and Science, had found one tuition for her. But, have to go to the
tutor's house. A bit troublesome! :slapshead:

Hope all these can help her.

MotherHen wrote:
Edureach wrote:

Actually a home tutor might not be such a bad idea. I know tuition is not encouraged. Likewise, my DD has no tuition other than once a week Chinese. However, I've been thinking about it alot since the most recent test papers came back.

Tuition, seen in the right light, can be a form of consistent revision. True, the child's time management is important. But we are also talking about 10- or 11-year olds here. I always thought DD could manage time pretty well, but the couple of months before the CT was terrible. Faced with an avalanche of project deadline, it just seems more important to finish the projects rather than do revision. As a parent, I just don't have the heart to push her any further, seeing that she's already so tired. I'm ashamed to say that for DD, revision started only a few days prior to CT (and for English - no revision/practice at all). It is terrible and there's no excuse for it. So maybe having a regular revision schedule in terms of a couple of hours per week is good?

I think tuition also boosts the confidence of the child. With Chinese tuition, I can really see DD's confidence. As a result, she has done well for Chinese (which used to be her worst subject). With other subjects, she seems so unsure now. Before she took the tests, she was already telling me that she was not going to do well. thmejlfm, like your DD, she brought up tuition, in particular The Learning Lab, as many of her friends are there.

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue May 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi thmejfn,

What's your dd's science project on? Why is it giving her a lot of problems?
For Math, is Kumon-Math useful? If not, and now that you've found your dd a tutor, how about giving it up? Otherwise she'll be so busy with tuition and homework.

Don't worry too much. P4 takes a bit of adjusting to because of the new environment, a huge jump in syllabus and different style of teaching. As she finds her footing she may just do much better in SA2.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres