LEARNConcierge

All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby thmejlfm » Tue May 24, 2011 6:07 pm

thanks for your reply. i really hope so.

Her project was not difficult, make a solar cooker. it was bcos of her partner. Parent not corperative or the kid never talk to his parent.Left two more weeks, they still have not started their discussion. They not stressed, i felt stressed. End up, i had to called his parent.

My DD loves kumon. let her do for a term , see how first.

jtoh wrote:Hi thmejfn,

What's your dd's science project on? Why is it giving her a lot of problems?
For Math, is Kumon-Math useful? If not, and now that you've found your dd a tutor, how about giving it up? Otherwise she'll be so busy with tuition and homework.

Don't worry too much. P4 takes a bit of adjusting to because of the new environment, a huge jump in syllabus and different style of teaching. As she finds her footing she may just do much better in SA2.

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:49 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby thmejlfm » Tue May 24, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi, vlim

I had just PM you. Thanks

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:49 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby MotherHen » Wed May 25, 2011 7:42 am

[quote="thmejlfm"]Hi! MotherHen

The way you said, was just the same as mine. The Science Project already gave me a lot of headache. Is your DD in P4?

Now, my DD asked for Jiang Lao Shi, Mindscretcher, Science tuition because her classmates have all these. How to squeeze in her time slot. And she refuse to give up her Kumon-Maths. I told her to try it till end of next term. If really cannot handle have to give up.

I will enroll her in Molin for her Chinese. As for Maths and Science, had found one tuition for her. But, have to go to the
tutor's house. A bit troublesome! :slapshead:

Hope all these can help her.




Hi thmejlfm, my DD is in P5.

For Kumon, do see how it goes. Like jtoh says, your daughter might become too busy with tuition and schoolwork.

I'm also trying out a Math & Science tutor (once a week at my house). Talking to the tutor, I did pre-empt her that DD might not have time to finish all tuition work given during school term but that we'll try our best. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out :pray:

Since they seem to have to do a book review every term, I've asked my DD to work on one during the June hols. You should have a reading list from the school. Maybe that's something your DD can do as well? In any case, June hols will be more conducive for reading and I think they will enjoy and appreciate the book more.

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:58 am
Total Likes: 10


Re: All About GEP

Postby thmejlfm » Wed May 25, 2011 10:35 am

Hi!

Yes, my DD has to read 3 books during this June Holiday. She was so happy that she has the chance to read because I had restricted her of reading so many story books. All those teenagers story books!

AS for the Kumon, is alright even if she can't finish the homework, the teacher also understand. Actually, the teacher was already expected my DD to withdraw the Kumon in beginning of this year.

I had found one tutor for her Maths and Science. But, has to go to the tutor's house, very troublesome. Reviews said
that this tutor is very good, and my DD liked. So, let her try first during this June Holiday.

Did anybody try Nicklebee tutor? Under waiting list.



MotherHen wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:Hi! MotherHen

The way you said, was just the same as mine. The Science Project already gave me a lot of headache. Is your DD in P4?

Now, my DD asked for Jiang Lao Shi, Mindscretcher, Science tuition because her classmates have all these. How to squeeze in her time slot. And she refuse to give up her Kumon-Maths. I told her to try it till end of next term. If really cannot handle have to give up.

I will enroll her in Molin for her Chinese. As for Maths and Science, had found one tuition for her. But, have to go to the
tutor's house. A bit troublesome! :slapshead:

Hope all these can help her.




Hi thmejlfm, my DD is in P5.

For Kumon, do see how it goes. Like jtoh says, your daughter might become too busy with tuition and schoolwork.

I'm also trying out a Math & Science tutor (once a week at my house). Talking to the tutor, I did pre-empt her that DD might not have time to finish all tuition work given during school term but that we'll try our best. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out :pray:

Since they seem to have to do a book review every term, I've asked my DD to work on one during the June hols. You should have a reading list from the school. Maybe that's something your DD can do as well? In any case, June hols will be more conducive for reading and I think they will enjoy and appreciate the book more.

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:49 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby ngbrdad » Wed May 25, 2011 2:39 pm

What is the breakdown of boy : girl ration in a GEP cohort ?
around 2 : 1 ?

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:28 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: All About GEP

Postby vlim » Wed May 25, 2011 3:10 pm

ngbrdad wrote:What is the breakdown of boy : girl ration in a GEP cohort ?
around 2 : 1 ?


I think so..during the briefing 3 yrs ago..the ge branch mentioned that there are 375 boys and 175 girls for my ds gep cohort.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:49 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: All About GEP

Postby vlim » Wed May 25, 2011 3:11 pm

vlim wrote:
ngbrdad wrote:What is the breakdown of boy : girl ration in a GEP cohort ?
around 2 : 1 ?


I think so..during the briefing 3 yrs ago..representative from the ge branch mentioned that there are 375 boys and 175 girls for my ds gep cohort.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:49 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: All About GEP

Postby ngbrdad » Wed May 25, 2011 3:15 pm

So that means for RI DSA basically there will be around 350 boys fighting for 50 places reserved for GEP kids.
Sigh.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:28 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby comfy » Wed May 25, 2011 3:17 pm

thmejlfm wrote:Hi!

Yes, my DD has to read 3 books during this June Holiday. She was so happy that she has the chance to read because I had restricted her of reading so many story books. All those teenagers story books!

AS for the Kumon, is alright even if she can't finish the homework, the teacher also understand. Actually, the teacher was already expected my DD to withdraw the Kumon in beginning of this year.

I had found one tutor for her Maths and Science. But, has to go to the tutor's house, very troublesome. Reviews said that this tutor is very good, and my DD liked. So, let her try first during this June Holiday.

Did anybody try Nicklebee tutor? Under waiting list.

Hi,
My dd is also in P4 and also has the same problem as your DD. Just gone thru PTM today, and feedback from the Math teacher concerning my dd is no good. She said that my DD is weak in concept and has to attend the remedial class. She mentioned the way that she teach Math in gep class is different from Mainstream Math class. To me, if a student doesn't understand, you as a responsible teacher will have to explain regardless of what method you use. But it seem that that is not the case for this teacher. Hence I might need to engage a tutor if my dd does not improve after attending the remedial lesson.
May I know where/how did you find your tutor as you mentioned that the tutor's review is very good?

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:24 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby vlim » Wed May 25, 2011 3:20 pm

ngbrdad wrote:So that means for RI DSA basically there will be around 350 boys fighting for 50 places reserved for GEP kids.
Sigh.


I think they can take in more the 50...need vk2010 or others to clarify :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:49 pm
Total Likes: 2


PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge