Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby ngbrdad » Wed May 25, 2011 3:34 pm

Just got a reply on the DSA thread.
RI takes in about 180 GEP kids per year eventually.
No wonde my DS met around 20 of his classmates during the open house last weekend.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby thmejlfm » Wed May 25, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi! comfy, I yet to hear from my DD's Teacher this coming Friday. Yesterday, my DD told me that she was chosen to attend the Remedial Class for her Maths.

Is a Private Tutor at Tampines. Is it too far for you? A couple teach a lot of students at their place. Is not one to one. My DD went there only 4 times, she liked the tutor.

For me, I found that it was a bit too far and very crowded. They had converted the house to a tuition place.

Last edited by thmejlfm on Thu May 26, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ngbrdad » Wed May 25, 2011 4:44 pm

Somehow the GEP boys prefer RI and HCI. My Ds and his classmates seem to prefer RI too.
But it's very far from where we stay.
Overheard some of his classmates discussing ways to go RI from the area we are staying, involving buses + MRT.
Somehow I wonder why they are not interested in IP schools in our area like NUSH and ACSI.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby comfy » Wed May 25, 2011 5:12 pm

thmejlfm wrote:Hi! comfy, I yet to hear from my DD's Teacher this coming Friday. Yesterday, my DD told me that she was chosen to attend the Remedial Class for her Maths.

Is a Private Tutor at Tampines. Is it too far for you? A couple teach a lot of students at their place. Is not one to one. My DD went there only 4 times, she liked the tutor.

For me, I found that it was a bit too far and very crowded. They had converted the house to a tuition place.

So your DD needs to attend Remedial class too. Let hear from the teacher this Friday and you will get a better picture. For my dd, her class quite a no of students are very strong in Math, hence at times her Math teacher will go very fast or skip as most of students will mention that they already know the topics. So my poor DD will be left behind as she will have to either grasp very fast or study in advance or self study ( no choice :( ).
Oh yes, the tutor you mentioned is too far from me. How do you find such tutor? from recommendation or elsewhere?
I will really like to find a good and responsible one, just in case :xedfingers: my dd need it.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby thmejlfm » Wed May 25, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi! Comfy

It was my SIL's friend recommended. Her DD had been with the tutor since p4 till sec 3. Should be alright.

I will update once I met the teacher.

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby comfy » Wed May 25, 2011 7:22 pm

Hi thmejlfm,
Thks for the info. Just to share with you regarding the baseline 70% of the subject. Well, according to one of the teachers, she mentioned that 50% is the passing mark and 70% (baseline mark) is to indicate that the student need to attend remedial lesson or need to pay attention to (something like that). Hence implying that the child will still promote to next level. I hope that she is right. Perhaps you will like to confirm this with your DD's teachers on friday.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sleepy » Wed May 25, 2011 8:57 pm

thmejlfm

PM you :smile:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby yukilei » Thu May 26, 2011 8:49 am

ngbrdad wrote:Somehow the GEP boys prefer RI and HCI. My Ds and his classmates seem to prefer RI too.
But it's very far from where we stay.
Overheard some of his classmates discussing ways to go RI from the area we are staying, involving buses + MRT.
Somehow I wonder why they are not interested in IP schools in our area like NUSH and ACSI.

Hi ngbrdad,

i'm also staying in the west. But I'm lucky that my Ds is looking forward to NUSH & not RI. Perhaps, he knows that he's not up to RI's standard. But strange enough, 2 of his classmates, both are top in his class also look forward to NUSH instead of RI.

yukilei
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ngbrdad » Fri May 27, 2011 12:16 am

Hi yukilei is your kid in Nan Hua ?
Unfortunately from the info i gathered it may be even tougher to gain entry to HUHS as compared to RI thru DSA for GEP boys.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngbrdad » Fri May 27, 2011 12:22 am

Looking thru the slides of GE department talk to P6 parents earlier this year, saw one slide stated that for promotion to secondary GE the criteria is above 70% overall with a pass in SS in P6 CA1 + SA1.
It's stated that ss with only be graded for P6 and no marks will be reported.
However in my son's reportbook ss is still reported in marks eventually and the ss marks was taken into consideration when they count the overall average.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge