55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Otah » Fri May 27, 2011 3:28 pm

vlim wrote:
ngbrdad wrote:.
But for ACSI I have some reservation about the influence of the rich kids......

heheeee..that's what stop my dh and I sending my ds there for primary gep :wink:

Monthly school fee is also the most expensive ($300+, $400+ yr 5/6) among the IP(IS) boys schools, and EESIS only cover $200. Is school one of your consideration?

Otah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ngbrdad » Fri May 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Someone told me in the DSA thread that every year around 180 GEP boys join RI and around 80 to 90 join HCI.
So it's like about 3 quarter of the cohort in these 2 schools.
ACS primary own GEP probably will join ACS.
Maybe Catholic High primary GEP boys will join Catholic High (If they don't mind O levels)
So looks like not many left for NUSH and NJC.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Fri May 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Otah wrote:
vlim wrote:
ngbrdad wrote:.
But for ACSI I have some reservation about the influence of the rich kids......

heheeee..that's what stop my dh and I sending my ds there for primary gep :wink:

Monthly school fee is also the most expensive ($300+, $400+ yr 5/6) among the IP(IS) boys schools, and EESIS only cover $200. Is school one of your consideration?

no...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Edureach » Fri May 27, 2011 3:55 pm

At this juncture, its prudent to inform parents of the difference in system btw A-level and IB. Students who are apt in doing well in a single exam are suitable for A-level. In IB, the internal assesment starts from year5 and it accounts for up to 30% of overall mark depending on subjects. In IB, discipline and consistency are critical throughout the final two years.

There's also a difference in the marking system. For A-level the distinction grade is A-70marks and above and is subject to moderation within each cohort. In IB, the distinction equivalent is 7 points and the marks require range from 68-90% depending on subject and levels ie HL(H2) and SL(H1).

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby vlim » Fri May 27, 2011 4:11 pm

Edureach wrote:At this juncture, its prudent to inform parents of the difference in system btw A-level and IB. Students who are apt in doing well in a single exam are suitable for A-level. In IB, the internal assesment starts from year5 and it accounts for up to 30% of overall mark depending on subjects. In IB, discipline and consistency are critical throughout the final two years.

There's also a difference in the marking system. For A-level the distinction grade is A-70marks and above and is subject to moderation within each cohort. In IB, the distinction equivalent is 7 points and the marks require range from 68-90% depending on subject and levels ie HL(H2) and SL(H1).

thanks for your info Edureach.. :smile:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Fri May 27, 2011 7:37 pm

ngbrdad wrote:Someone told me in the DSA thread that every year around 180 GEP boys join RI and around 80 to 90 join HCI.
So it's like about 3 quarter of the cohort in these 2 schools.
ACS primary own GEP probably will join ACS.
Maybe Catholic High primary GEP boys will join Catholic High (If they don't mind O levels)
So looks like not many left for NUSH and NJC.

Actually no. Quite a number of ACS GEP boys move over to RI.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ngbrdad » Fri May 27, 2011 8:07 pm

Parents from the west side, just found out that the circle will be fully operational by Nov 2011.
It takes only 8 stops from Clementi to Bishan by the MRT.
And then another 10 minutes walk to RI.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngbrdad » Sat May 28, 2011 11:38 am

Some observes that PSLE scores for GEP kids have been dropping in recent years.
With most of them already secured a place in their desired secondary school before PSLE, there will be less motivation for them to excel in PSLE.
Parents will tend to relax and not push them as hard too.

PSLE is after all a placement exam for secondary school. If one already secured a place, really there is no urgency and desire to slog that hard anymore.

On the other hand , can it be time and effort spent on DSA actually affect their PSLE performance ?

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Sat May 28, 2011 2:31 pm

The completion of sa1 also mark the last gep exam and it's curriculum .... So, personally,.. Phew..... I do feel kind of relieve .. But nevertheless, still got to encourage my ds to prepare for the coming psle.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Sat May 28, 2011 4:51 pm

ngbrdad wrote:Some observes that PSLE scores for GEP kids have been dropping in recent years.
With most of them already secured a place in their desired secondary school before PSLE, there will be less motivation for them to excel in PSLE.
Parents will tend to relax and not push them as hard too.

PSLE is after all a placement exam for secondary school. If one already secured a place, really there is no urgency and desire to slog that hard anymore.

On the other hand , can it be time and effort spent on DSA actually affect their PSLE performance ?

The time and effort spent on DSA isn't that significant. For GEP students, it's usually just an interview or two. So shouldn't impact PSLE prep.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres