35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Screening test result

Postby acforfamily » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:31 am

It seems like MOE only informs kids who have passed the 1st round (i.e. screening test) but do not inform those who don't.
Wonder why?

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Screening test result

Postby turquoise » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:43 am

acforfamily wrote:It seems like MOE only informs kids who have passed the 1st round (i.e. screening test) but do not inform those who don't.
Wonder why?

In my dd's old school, the letters from MOE were given out discreetly to the successful students. Reason being they didn't want the other students to feel bad that they didn't get through to the 2nd round. I know in some other schools the letters were given out in front of everyone and there were a lot of tears.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby vlim » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:02 am

thats make me recall the excited moment (last year) when my son brought back the form for the second screening test and the happy moment when he brought back a big A4 size envelope which contained the letter stated that he was qualified for the GEP.
In p3, he was in the top class and only seven of them, all from his class, were qualified to go to gep. On that particular day, the seven of them were call to go out of the class and a teacher in charge distributed the envelope to them... and somewhere in November there will be a briefing for those parents whose child is qualify to go gep. On this particular day, there will be booths from all the 9 gep schools and parent can approach the school representives for more info about the school...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby acforfamily » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:15 am

turquoise wrote:
acforfamily wrote:It seems like MOE only informs kids who have passed the 1st round (i.e. screening test) but do not inform those who don't.
Wonder why?

In my dd's old school, the letters from MOE were given out discreetly to the successful students. Reason being they didn't want the other students to feel bad that they didn't get through to the 2nd round. I know in some other schools the letters were given out in front of everyone and there were a lot of tears.

I agree that giving it out discreetly is better. However, the school or MOE should at least inform parents that the results are out and those who have been selected for round 2 have been individually informed.

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Zann » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:23 am

turquoise wrote:
Wonder why?

This process can be vey upsetting to many parents and kids if not handled carefully. In my child's school, the class form teacher gave out the letter by calling out name in front of the whole class yesterday. The kids know who got it who did not get it. :| . Before the test, he told me there were classmates or parents came to tell him not to get into GEP because it is no good and very stressful.... but after the test he told me his whole class participated in the screening test. :P I find this whole thing kind of unhealthy.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby turquoise » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:23 am

acforfamily wrote:
turquoise wrote:
Wonder why?

I agree that giving it out discreetly is better. However, the school or MOE should at least inform parents that the results are out and those who have been selected for round 2 have been individually informed.

True. They don't inform unsuccessful students about results of the 2nd round tests either. They just give out packages to those who get into GEP. At my dd's old school the teachers made it a point to call each and every parent of those who took the 2nd test, and informed them personally whether they were successful or not.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 2DMommy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:27 am

I am glad that my son's school did it discreetly even for the 1st round. The boys were called out of the class and letters were distributed to them. Nothing was mentioned to the class throughout the day. There are some who did quite well in school but did not go through the 1st round, I guess the school does not want the kid to be disappointed. Heard from my DS that one of his classmates cried when he found out that he wasn't being selected.

2DMommy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby acforfamily » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:35 am

Zann wrote:
This process can be vey upsetting to many parents and kids if not handled carefully. .. I find this whole thing kind of unhealthy.

I agree. The whole purpose of having GEP is for the top students to have a different avenue of learning. It is the parents who make it out to be an elitist thing and causing unnecessary stress to our poor kids.

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:46 am

acforfamily wrote:
Zann wrote:
This process can be vey upsetting to many parents and kids if not handled carefully. .. I find this whole thing kind of unhealthy.

I agree. The whole purpose of having GEP is for the top students to have a different avenue of learning. It is the parents who make it out to be an elitist thing and causing unnecessary stress to our poor kids.

I totally agree with you :celebrate: ... especially those parents who send their kid to special gifted screening test tuition :idea:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MdmKS » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:41 pm

vlim wrote:
acforfamily wrote:
Zann wrote:

I totally agree with you :celebrate: ... especially those parents who send their kid to special gifted screening test tuition :idea:

These parents forever won't be able to find out whether their kids are truely gifted . Those who are in P3 high ability class can easily get thru screening test (phase 1). These parents are just wasting their money...

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge