Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby sunflowermom » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:56 am

cylg wrote:
sunflowermom wrote:Parents of P6 Geppers kids 2011, may I know do you check your kids' Facebook? I have my ds's password n able to login anytime. Lately, I noticed that a group waa recreated, known as [GEP GROUP GEN. 1999]. I found the postings done by one of the children were rather disturbing, either obscene or vulgar. I went to check the profile of that child, to my surprise, that person is a girl and from TNPS! I was thinking should I alert the sch.


I too know abt this group...I just told my son to block the grp. One qn u have to ask is: is she really where she claims she is from (unless u already know her in real life). My boy's classmates did tell their teachers abt her case though....


I am sure she is from that school. This is what she posted in the FB today, pertaining to what I had brought up in this forum. See what she wrote:

"hi, if you are a parent inside your child's account and have apparently seen my 'sexual-oriented' posts, please reflect on your own action (hacking into your child's account) and stop hating on me just because of that. you don't know me personally and have no goddamn right to judge me.
you're a very judgmental person and i know you make the worst first impressions because every first impression you see from a poor, not as filthy rich as you kid trying to have fun on facebook means the kid is a huge sickass. go check out other people who're doubly as sick as me. you can easily find them in this group.
and for god's sake, i censor everything i say. if you can decode them it's not my fault you're as sick-minded, bitch. with much hatred, (she signed off her name here.)

I wonder does she knows the consequences of writing such comments (plus her previous vulgar & obscene postings) on the internets. I can even view all her photos in the FB. Imagine if I were to send all her postings to GE Branch or RGS/NYGH?

Miss TNPS, if you are reading this post, I wish you all the best for your PSLE. Please do not post such impulsive comments online anymore. It may come back to haunt you one day, you never know. FYI, I do not need to hack my ds's account. As I have mentioned earlier, I HAVE his password, it was done with his knowledge.

sunflowermom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:27 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby dovetail » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:39 am

cylg wrote:
sunflowermom wrote:Parents of P6 Geppers kids 2011, may I know do you check your kids' Facebook? I have my ds's password n able to login anytime. Lately, I noticed that a group waa recreated, known as [GEP GROUP GEN. 1999]. I found the postings done by one of the children were rather disturbing, either obscene or vulgar. I went to check the profile of that child, to my surprise, that person is a girl and from TNPS! I was thinking should I alert the sch.


I too know abt this group...I just told my son to block the grp. One qn u have to ask is: is she really where she claims she is from (unless u already know her in real life). My boy's classmates did tell their teachers abt her case though....


I agree, she may not be who she claims to be. Anyone can ask to join the group and I think the kids don't have any means to check if you are a 1999 gepper.

dovetail
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:27 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby theGEPPER » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:26 pm

dear sunflower mum, i am a geper myself, and i confirm that the girl as above mentioned is a geper from tns, as i have personally met her before. i, too, agree with your stand on this issue. while the group was created originally to share work amongst fellow students to encourage better work and an info-pool, it has been misused recently. While spams, though irritating, can be ignored, i feel that some of the disturbing posts i find on facebook insulting and detrimental to the reputation of GEPers. some even contain explicit contents that are obviously unsuitable for children. thus, i would like to ask for assistance here to stem any further such actions on facebook. thank you.

theGEPPER
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 4:59 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby Soyousay » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:04 pm

Dear theGEPPER,
The admins of the group do take note of all explicit content. As the girl has stated herself, she indeed censors most of that which she posts, and does not openly go about spamming such messages. In fact, much of what you say about the group is incorrect as of late. There is no spam. Most importantly, there IS no such thing as spam from groups in Facebook itself. The button labeled "Unsubscribe" is listed under all posts on groups to enable members to stop receiving notifications from the particular post, and the "Subscribe" option is only activated if one likes or comments on said post. Do take note of these tools, and use them liberally.
Secondly, you have not specified the full extent of what you would "like to ask for assistance here to stem". Assuming that you are, in fact, referring only to the group itself, the leave option of the group is free for all to use.
Thirdly, what, in truth, is there on the group that would be "insulting and detrimental to the reputation of GEPers"? I feel that specification is needed on this subject, and it would help greatly if you do identify the posts.
All in all, I find your identity apocryphal. I believe that you would help us greatly by sending your name to our email at "cheewiikiranpookyseal@groups.facebook.com". Thank you for reading this.

Yours sincerely,
John Lee

Soyousay
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:50 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby stressedmother » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi sunflower mother, I also know about this group. I think you should not report her lah, this is her last year in Primary School. If you report her, who would accept her? Also, many people will stereotype all the GEP kids and say all are like that girl and our children will be looked down at. Also, my boy knows of the girl (same school)and I am quite surprised she wrote those comments. She is a kind and helpful girl and had helped my son with his EL compo(he is very lousy in el comp) and also helped him photocopy the worksheets she lost. I would definitely talk to her and ask her about the comments. She is only 11/12 years old, not yet mature and don't know the effects of using those words. BTW, my son said her compo was always the model compo and she was selected for many essay programs. Anyway, there is always a 'leave group' button if u don't want your child to get influenced. You should also counsel your child.
P.s. Know any good compo books?

stressedmother
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:53 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: All About GEP

Postby Ryon.hwang » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:18 pm

Come on, I also know this girl personally. You don't need to go attacking one girl just because of one post. She is a nice and kind girl, form what I know. Not only kids post such comments. My son, Ryon Hwang, has also created a GEPers group, from what I know. I will question the girl about this. In conclusion, my final stand is: Don't go hating on the girl. No one likes being flamed.

Ryon.hwang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:11 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby stressedmother » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:26 pm

Thank You Mr Hwang! I will go and buy those books tomorrow at popular. My son said that the girl had deactivated her account. She really regrets it, doesn't she. And can you help me ask your son if he is now doing mainstream or GEP work? Because my boy had been scoring 52/60 for his math problem sums, so quite worried

stressedmother
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:53 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby Ryon.hwang » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:30 pm

You are welcome, I think she does. Many of the GEP kids are deactivating their accounts because of their upcoming examinations. My son is only receiving mainstream SA papers from his teachers. 52/60 is still not too bad. He still has quite some time until his main exams. Just keep working hard and it will all work out in the end

Ryon.hwang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:11 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby A GEPer in NYPS » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:31 pm

OK, I am a GEPer in NYPS.
I am also in the group. Sorry for all the distress caused and anger. We, the admin, will not allow this to carry on anymore. She was only posting based on what she thinks and is not representive of the GEP community.
I hope you do not take it to heart.

Many Thanks,
Ryan Wee
Nyps

A GEPer in NYPS
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:26 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby Ryon.hwang » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:32 pm

<Vocabulary building> by Betty Kirkpatrick (Learners publishers)
<Step by step creative writing> by Success publications
I seem to have accidentally the comment... So re-posting

Ryon.hwang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:11 pm
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres